Rosso Confirms Martin Margiela no longer at the Maison

it's the end of an aera isn'it? The last truly independent mind in fashion, the last singular vision, and the only designer who, for almost 20 years ( I say almost as I'm not counting the last 4 seasons) worked without ever losing his integrity when it came to press and marketing..no "It-bags" here..just beautiful clothes that made sense not only on models but also on customers (hence the huge fanbase)
Nobody will ever repeat what he did, simply because the way fashion and the press work now- no glamour, no luxury= no exposure.

That's the most mysterious sentence ever: He is here but not here..

Does it mean the latest collection was not done by Martin Margiela himself? :cry: Really sad news.

it's the end of an aera isn'it? The last truly independent mind in fashion, the last singular vision, and the only designer who, for almost 20 years ( I say almost as I'm not counting the last 4 seasons) worked without ever losing his integrity when it came to press and marketing..no "It-bags" here..just beautiful clothes that made sense not only on models but also on customers (hence the huge fanbase)
Nobody will ever repeat what he did, simply because the way fashion and the press work now- no glamour, no luxury= no exposure.

i dunno about that...we still have a few uncompromising minds working like ann demeulemeester,kawakubo,boudicca,ann-sofie back(who has very interesting new concept project at the moment),a.f. vandevorst and even viv.

granted,no one with his particular vision but i don't think independence is necessarily dead now.

amelia,sadly it wasn't. it was the teams work obviously dictated by rosso.

I think the most interesting thing here is to ask, when exactly did Margiela leave? he could have left (design-wise) well before Rosso, couldn't he have?

Polish fashion journalists used to ask if Margiela exists at all.. I thought it was so stupid to doubt! Well, looks like it wasn't such a bad idea.

After all, he could have retired /how can I call it?/ months ago and we'd never find out :innocent:

well they did say he had been gone for a long time so you'd really have to point the finger at rosso for leading everybody on all this time.

i really believe he left after the anniversary collection last spring.

well they did say he had been gone for a long time so you'd really have to point the finger at rosso for leading everybody on all this time.

i really believe he left after the anniversary collection last spring.

I agree, that's when things went very downhill.

isnt it rsther interesting, almost like the perfect exit for him.
the man who no one really knew, whom many wondered if he really existed, has left and we are not really sure if he really left, or when he left.
there is a simplicity to his work, that on the surface and to the unlearned, would suggest that anyone could do it...............
for us only to realize that its so complex that only he can do it.........

On a serious note though, I heard from a reliable source that a major store and faithful supporter of his line here in New York is planning on dropping the line for the upcoming season.......................:innocent:

I don't want to sound drastic, but right now I just want to see the House closed. I'm hating this wave of media coverage and the desperate approach to point a new head designer. Margiela has never caused a stir of this type. From the beginning the only thing on the table to be discussed was his design philosophy, which will always be an exciting theme to debate. This scandal is just too dark and messy to continue thinking about it.

Personally, MMM won't be making any sense without its creator. More than simple garments, Margiela grasped fiercefully the concept one's history; in his case, the wearer of his designs. It was an unique symbiosis between his method and the body of his costumer. It was more than fitting and draping. The garments needed to be believed and accepted in their true essence.

I'm too shocked to even see this continue...

^in response to this?

not neccessarily, but partially, i've heard that some of the new pieces have his name spelt out "logo" form, as opposed to the numbers, and that the quality has gone down............
many of us know that Margialas following is significant in the art world, and customers with critical eye have been complaining that the quality has gone downhill and its just not the same..............

^they have indeed. and not just recently either. i've had friends tell me since rosso got involved the quality is nothing like it was before. i can only imagine how much worse it is and will be now.

Renzo Rosso is in the business of jeans, not fashion.
I fear Margiela has done a runner like Lang or Sander. Time to get out while the going was good. Enough is enough sometimes even for the strongest designer and since fashion has no mercy...

isnt it rsther interesting, almost like the perfect exit for him.
the man who no one really knew, whom many wondered if he really existed, has left and we are not really sure if he really left, or when he left.
there is a simplicity to his work, that on the surface and to the unlearned, would suggest that anyone could do it...............
for us only to realize that its so complex that only he can do it.........
you said it. I think Rosso's plan and the direction they're taking... it's all very insulting, not only to the fans, but especially to the man himself.

worse than the quality is the fact that theyre still charging the same price. it's like prada, except without the design concept.

My friend is convinced that Margiela is not a real person LOL and this confirms his thoughts on the matter.

This is like confirming the sky was blue today. I get depressed if I think about this too much.

I think the most interesting thing here is to ask, when exactly did Margiela leave? he could have left (design-wise) well before Rosso, couldn't he have?

...and why?

This is most unfortunate news...and shame on the way they handled it.

That's the most mysterious sentence ever: He is here but not here..

Does it mean the latest collection was not done by Martin Margiela himself? :cry: Really sad news.

Well, he said he'd been gone for quite some time, right?

I took it that he was going all mystical on us :rolleyes: and meant that Margiela's spirit lingers on ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apriloneil1987
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->