Male Model Height Requirement

whitneyfan

New/Inactive Member
Reaction score
I'm an African-American male aspiring model. This has been my dream for quite some time. I've bought and read several modeling advice books, including "The Wilhelmina Guide to Modeling" and another book by Yvonne Rose for the young aspiring African-American model. I believe I have the look and the attitude to be a fashion model. The only thing I feel that could possibly deter me from my goal is my height: I'm 5'10". Most of the sites I've been to have stated that male fashion models must be at least 5'11". I'm aware of some female models who've made it while being at least a couple of inches too short (Kate Moss, Rebecca Gayheart, for example), but I haven't heard of any male models who've overcome the same odds. Every male fashion model that I've come across has been listed as being 6' tall or above (that is, unless their stats have been slightly exaggerated). I know commercial print is an option, but I would like to make a full-time living at modeling, and commercial print is recommended as something to do part-time. My plans are to move to New York City in about a year and a half to fully immerse myself in the market. In the meantime, I've already taken steps to maximize my attractiveness as a candidate (braces, hiring a personal trainer, skin care). Could someone who is well-informed on the height issue please let me know if I'm in over my head, and provide me with any advice/feedback that could point me in the right direction. Thanks.

I don't know enough to answer really but at a mere 5' 11" 1/2 (-ish) I share your pain :(

AlmostFamous is a well-known model...she might work with male models who know these things.

remember that as with the girls in this business whats written on your card and your true height can be two different things. If an agency think that you have enough potential they will take you on and simply modify the truth. :wink:

I just checked Storm models and they want 6'0". You should probably speak with an agency in person though. :flower:

most agencies will take 5'11 models JUST

5'10 is really pushing it......normally 5'10 models will only ever get as far as 'new faces' simply because they wont work

male models really need to be 6' at the shortest (182/3cm) to get any proper work

the ideal height is between 183 and 187cm for real working models

Originally posted by BBB@Jan 19th, 2004 - 11:29 pm
remember that as with the girls in this business whats written on your card and your true height can be two different things. If an agency think that you have enough potential they will take you on and simply modify the truth. :wink:
this is very true......

i was at a missoni retrospective show last month and BOTH of the male models in the show were shorter than me and im 5'11.5......and on their cards it said they were 6' / 183cm........which was a BLATANT lie

AND they were both with storm.........so it just comes to show :innocent:

Acid... if an agency took you, they would no doubt push your height up to 6'0. Besides, have you ever looked at yourself in the mirror and went "DAMN! If only I were half an inch talller!" The difference between 5'11.5 and 6'0 is very hard to detect.

Male models are sometimes even taller than 6'2-6'3, but are quoted as being shorter on their comp cards. But I have seen shorter male models here or there. I've actually been in the presence of short(er) male runway models and none of them struck me as being short.

Originally posted by ChinaLove@Jan 19th, 2004 - 11:51 pm
Acid... if an agency took you, they would no doubt push your height up to 6'0. Besides, have you ever looked at yourself in the mirror and went "DAMN! If only I were half an inch talller!" The difference between 5'11.5 and 6'0 is very hard to detect.
oh no im not a model :o

That's probably because even 5'10" is one inch taller than the average UK or American male...what is percieved as short in modelling is actually quite tall...

hmm actually i was wondering about this today also. weird.

i think it would be nice to get through college being a model.

think i could do it?

i dunno i don't have chisled check bones or something

Attachments

• me.jpg
    me.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 225
Originally posted by Acid@Jan 19th, 2004 - 6:32 pm
most agencies will take 5'11 models JUST

5'10 is really pushing it......normally 5'10 models will only ever get as far as 'new faces' simply because they wont work

male models really need to be 6' at the shortest (182/3cm) to get any proper work

the ideal height is between 183 and 187cm for real working models
Sean,there you go with that new faces bull spat again.

I'm a new face and do work, all the 'new faces' do.

It doesn't matter the height. If the agency signs you, they will believe you will work. The only way you can find out whether or not your height is a problem is by sending your polaroids to the agencies themselves. :flower:

Originally posted by loserunit@Jan 19th, 2004 - 10:54 pm
hmm actually i was wondering about this today also. weird.

i think it would be nice to get through college being a model.

think i could do it?

i dunno i don't have chisled check bones or something
You look good. Don't know about modeling..maybe. We would probably have to see more pics.

me

Attachments

• 338_3B_3B4_3B523232_7Ffp46_3Dot_3E232_3A_3D484_3D7_3A9_3DXROQDF_3E232346_3B3_3A_3A484ot1lsi.jpg
    338_3B_3B4_3B523232_7Ffp46_3Dot_3E232_3A_3D484_3D7_3A9_3DXROQDF_3E232346_3B3_3A_3A484ot1lsi.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 238
squared

Attachments

• 3388655923232_7Ffp47_3Dot_3E2323_3D544_3D899_3D32325447_3A8783nu0mrj.jpg
    3388655923232_7Ffp47_3Dot_3E2323_3D544_3D899_3D32325447_3A8783nu0mrj.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 221
Well... from what I've seen about model profiles from FashionTV... 1,85 seems to be the height ... but that'll be for catwalk!
You have to keep in mind that for editorials/photo shoots height's not such a big deal!

Originally posted by blumarine@Jan 20th, 2004 - 11:07 pm
Well... from what I've seen about model profiles from FashionTV... 1,85 seems to be the height ... but that'll be for catwalk!
You have to keep in mind that for editorials/photo shoots height's not such a big deal!
Height is such a big deal for edits and photoshoots, its just it'll be more likely that they will measure you at show castings, unlike editorial castings.

Height is important it doesn't matter what part of modeling you are trying to persue. But, if the agency sees something in you, they will sign you.

Originally posted by AlmostFamous@Jan 21st, 2004 - 10:43 pm

Height is important it doesn't matter what part of modeling you are trying to persue. But, if the agency sees something in you, they will sign you.
yeah but wether you'll actually WORK or not is another story

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->