Marc Jacobs Redux Grunge 1993/2018 by Juergen Teller

Melancholybaby

Reaction score

Vogue UK Digital Edition

Well, well, well, look who's back shooting for Marc Jacbos :shifty:

I guess Meisel wasn’t available to remake his famous Grunge editorial from the 90’s :rofl:

But it’s great to see Teller back, even though it’s just a glorified collage of the lookbook images.

@Melancholybaby ......that was my first thought as well! It was a silly fallout to begin with. Over Miley Cyrus? Lol. I'll let it be known that I was never a fan of Teller for Marc Jacobs. And anyway, that little tiff ended up in Sims shooting for MJ, but undergoing a sort of renewal with his creative vision.

Whatever this is is unremarkable. Very staid. Hope it was just a once off, doubt Katie Grand would continue to work with Teller.

It's very interesting to see how the clothes looks 25 years later worn by girls of today (like for the Versace tribute collection). In a way, it's clever because it looks very now but at the same time, having Teller shooting this makes it a bit generic.

Maybe Jamie would have been better for this.
It's quite weird because this is supposed to be MJ offering for the resort season and the Spring collection seems very suited for Meisel.

So i wonder what's the plan at MJ....But i've already ordered 3 pieces from the collection.

I was one of the few members that liked Teller's work for MJ but honestly he's become far too lazy nowadays.

I love the fact that his runway show for the past few seasons badically consisted of the dustiest, most dated, tackiest clothes his elderly aunts had laying around in their closet and the you have this thriftstore finds from the grunge era as a capsule. Random much...

Vintage MJ always :wub:

Anyone remember how back in 2011 and earlier seeing this infamous runway show online, in it's entirety, was akin to spotting Big Foot in the woods? (This vintage runway thread was a novel concept at the time). I remember paying like $10 per session on Firstview.com in order to frantically download my favorite 90s collections which weren't available anywhere else. But now vintage runway fashion images are littered across social media. It's freaking bizarre to me.

To me this redux collection is a direction reflection of today's 'throwback' culture and nostalgic trip which demonstrates the power of social media image overload. So often social media generated buzz feels empty and disconnected. However, maybe this strange feedback loop of likes and reposts feels organic, genuine to those who grew up connecting this way?

None of the model's used for the campaign embody what that collection came to represent but the garments have held up over time.

I couldn't fit or afford this collection the first time around (being in 3rd grade and all) and despite my disdain for the redux collection's impetus, I do still love the spirit of the collection, the cultural and musical movements which inspired it.

You can't relive the past, and you can't bring it back.
This is just sad.

Vintage MJ always :wub:

Anyone remember how back in 2011 and earlier seeing this infamous runway show online, in it's entirety, was akin to spotting Big Foot in the woods? (This vintage runway thread was a novel concept at the time). I remember paying like $10 per session on Firstview.com in order to frantically download my favorite 90s collections which weren't available anywhere else. But now vintage runway fashion images are littered across social media. It's freaking bizarre to me.

To me this redux collection is a direction reflection of today's 'throwback' culture and nostalgic trip which demonstrates the power of social media image overload. So often social media generated buzz feels empty and disconnected. However, maybe this strange feedback loop of likes and reposts feels organic, genuine to those who grew up connecting this way?

None of the model's used for the campaign embody what that collection came to represent but the garments have held up over time.

I couldn't fit or afford this collection the first time around (being in 3rd grade and all) and despite my disdain for the redux collection's impetus, I do still love the spirit of the collection, the cultural and musical movements which inspired it.

Unfortunately, i feel like because fashion has lost it "exclusivity", it can't relate to anything today...
Nothing has a purpose or a meaning today. It's just fashion for fashion.
People are not connected or invested in fashion anymore...There was a fashion culture. That's why a collection like this made such an impact back in the day.

Fashion has always been inspired by the past but if in 2008, someone told me that designers would actually release their old collections literally, i would have never believed it.

We think that fashion is doing great because everybody (more or less) is making money but the state of it is quite similar to what is happening with magazines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->