Reaction score
00080m.jpg

00020m.jpg

00050m.jpg

00090m.jpg

Martin Grant fw06.07
source style.com photos Madeira

00270m.jpg

PARIS, ??????? 3, 2006 – Martin Grant's exquisitely tailored clothes have a quiet glamour that's best appreciated up close. No doubt that's why he chose to show his fall collection in the intimate surroundings of the Galerie St. Pere on the Left Bank. The crush of admirers—and this Australian designer has many—made for challenging viewing conditions, but in the end, it was worth the inconvenience.

Grant said he was inspired by the sixteenth-century Flemish painter Corneille de Lyon, and as it turns out, that obscure historical reference produced some very current shapes and cuts. The jackets of his silk faille skirt suits, for starters, had this season's teardrop sleeves and tulip lapels, the latter of which he stuffed with tulle (a couturier's trick) for added drama and volume. A black waterproof trench arced out in back, while other coats were trimmed with passementerie and small pom-poms that followed the lines of boleros. That motif continued for evening with a jet-beaded fitted vest that topped a silk ottoman strapless gown. How another after-dark look—a strapless one-piece pantsuit in ivory tweed—relates to the sixteenth century is anybody's guess, but that was an easily overlooked misstep in an otherwise refined fall show.

– Nicole Phelps

photos and review, style.com

i see the link...genius :heart:

PG_1558.jpg

nationalgalleries.org

00050m.jpg

style.com

i feel this is similar to JPG but i dont think he (jpg) did it right...made it look too country if you get me, but this just looks chic and gorgeous. its hard to get the arms right imo but he's cracked it here...thanks lena :heart:

I love this! Very classic and simple but sexy. One of the favourites right now.

I love that black dress:heart: and i want that blue coat!

I'm seeing a v. Mouret-ish kinda collection but I still quite like it.

quote=susie_bubble]I'm seeing a v. Mouret-ish kinda collection but I still quite like it.[/quote]

I could see him filling Mouret's 'place'. Although I think Mouret is much more intresting:ninja: .

I always love this guys work (not necessarily for his ideas, but or the beauty and quality in his work from a technical perspective) ive always wondered how he could produce this kind of work as a young designer today, as one of the most challenging problem in fashion today is the lack of technical abilities in many of todays young designers.
now i think i have figured out the connection, He is Austrailian (so is the great richard tyler) the have a great tailoring tradition in austrailia that has not yet been severly damaged by modernization and he seems to have made the best of the available knowledge...........

Last edited by a moderator:
He's a promising talent who's done it all on his own. If he had proper backing he might really excel because it's all very hands on with him. He's also the sweetest guy. I wish him well.

Beautiful and so elegant and chic.

I can see how other people can make the Roland Mouret link with that particular dress. Even though I absolutely adore Mouret, I think it is unfortunate that whichever dress is designed with that sort of neckline with sleeves is always going to be compared to Mouret's version, even though Grant's design seems quite organic and not as mechanical as other 'inspirations' have been. I love his quiet aesthetic even though personally it may not be something I would adhere to all the time.

susie_bubble said:
I'm seeing a v. Mouret-ish kinda collection but I still quite like it.
no, that's not mouret, that's herve leger.
i definitely see a leger inspiration here (although the skirts could've been a bit more pegged), as well as the given corneille de lyon.

Last edited by a moderator:
my favourite look from the collection.....

00230m.jpg

style

This is lovely indeed! I love historical Flemish/Dutch costume so this has wonderful elements.

Brian,that is gorgeous! And on Debra Shaw too :woot:

very nice. i love the sleeves...on everything.

i always like Martin Grant's collections.
the tailoring of his pieces is always exceptional.

i recently went to his exhibition in Melbourne, and even his earlier stuff is exquisitely made.

brian said:
no, that's not mouret, that's herve leger.
i definitely see a leger inspiration here (although the skirts could've been a bit more pegged), as well as the given corneille de lyon.

Yes! Leger as well! I think his inspiration of Corneille de Lyon yielded some v. modern lookings things though....only a hint of the medieval.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->