Men In Skirts

Originally posted by Scott@Nov 8th, 2003 - 9:59 pm
I must use yet another example from Jurgi Persoons because this is the way I would wear skirts.
But that's a man in drag who wants to look like a girl coming home from parochial school! :innocent:

:flower:

I'm a hetero male who has embraced the whole skirt style since the summer of '99 when I started wearing Emporio Armani sarongs...I'm also a hetro male!

During my honeymoon with sarongs, I caught sight of a long skirt in a window display and wondered out loud to my friend, "I wonder how that would look on a guy?" He suggested I try it on. I felt devistated walking into this trendy women's store (in the mall no less!) and asking the attractive young sales girl if I could try on the skirt in the window. Getting the skirt on was easy compared with trying to convince the salesgirl that I seriously wanted to try on the skirt. I was sold on the skirt after my heterosexual friend remarked that it made my butt look good. Since purchasing that skirt in 2000, I hunted for designer men's pieces that create the skirt silhouette. My collection ranges from ankle-length tunics to Gaultier capri-pants with a skirt back attachment.

However, I will agree that skirts are not chick magnets when worn by guys. I abstain from skirts when I'm trolling for the opposite sex. I wear the skirts when I'm out primarily with friends or at times when I just couldn't give a F*** what others are thinking.

That said, I try to offset my skirt-like bottoms with hyper-masculine tops and footwear. Oh, if jeans/pants are worn underneath than anything goes.

Anyone remember the Rolling Stone Magazine cover where Brad Pitt was wearing the sun dress??? He still managed to look cool!

Peace

That's exactly how I feel. Since I have such a passion for tailoring it kind of meshes together rather nicely.

And that lovely guy in that picture just so happens to be wearing leather trousers underneath his calf-length hem. I had a closer inspection,yes B)

Originally posted by tealady+Nov 8th, 2003 - 8:57 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tealady @ Nov 8th, 2003 - 8:57 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Scott@Nov 8th, 2003 - 9:59 pm
I must use yet another example from Jurgi Persoons because this is the way I would wear skirts.
But that's a man in drag who wants to look like a girl coming home from parochial school! :innocent:

:flower: [/b][/quote]
are yous erious?

honestly he is nto at all in drag he looks more like a punks chool boy than a women :blink:

Originally posted by tealady+Nov 9th, 2003 - 6:57 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tealady @ Nov 9th, 2003 - 6:57 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Scott@Nov 8th, 2003 - 9:59 pm

:flower: [/b][/quote]
:blink: oh no, this is not a guy in drag @ the Yurgi presentation tealady, we've all seen drag, we know how it looks like and it certainly does not look anything like Yurgi's guy

btw, welcome to tFS for eccentric master cylinder :flower:

Women not attracted to men in skirts??? I don't know about anyone else, but I thought that Kurt Cobain looked extremely cute when he wore his dresses. :brows:

No joking. Lady Bunny is Drag. Let's get it straight,the man isn't wearing a wig, make-up and stilettos. He's wearing a skirt,that's all. Otherwise he's very much a man.

Originally posted by Scott@Nov 9th, 2003 - 10:45 am
No joking. Lady Bunny is Drag. Let's get it straight,the man isn't wearing a wig, make-up and stilettos. He's wearing a skirt,that's all. Otherwise he's very much a man.
right :wink: liek gaultier said puting a man in a skirt is not puting a man in drag puting him in a bra is.

Originally posted by Spacemiu+Nov 9th, 2003 - 11:15 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spacemiu @ Nov 9th, 2003 - 11:15 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Scott@Nov 9th, 2003 - 10:45 am
right :wink: liek gaultier said puting a man in a skirt is not puting a man in drag puting him in a bra is. [/b][/quote]
absolutely my views guys :wink:

Sorry, drag was the wrong word. I'm saying that that look is what I see on girls coming home from a nearby parochial school. I say coming home because in school they tuck in their shirts and wear shoes; boots are wor to and from. If that photo was taken from the neck down and there was more of a waist, would you have thought the wearer was male? Really?

(edited for spelling)

Originally posted by tealady@Nov 9th, 2003 - 7:56 pm
If that photo was taken from the neck down and there was more of a waist, would you have thought the wearer was male? Really?

(edited for spelling)
uhm well yes, becuas of his body. But i udnerstand what you are saying, but is still not at all a feminin take if you ask me.

brad in a dress....
bal020b.jpg

this isnt sexy IMO :unsure:

Actually,I see what you're saying tealady but like I said before schoolboys' uniforms are often pieced together like that.

And yes I would still think he is man. If you look at shape of his body its much wider than a woman would be. Even if one is skinny,women still have more curves than a skinny man.

they've been everywhere on menswear collections.
will they catch up?
what's you opinion?

here todays short article from wwd :flower:

SKIRTING THE ISSUE: The model — his bare shoulders and thighs glistening with oil — danced seductively, grinding his hips and swinging his snake-headed lariat at International Herald Tribune scribe Suzy Menkes. What did she do? Calmly pulled out her disposable camera and snapped a photo. Another model, working a Casanova theme, stroked the cheek of Cathy Horyn of The New York Times, who was seated on a rusty old bed. That was the scene at John Galliano’s first men’s show Friday night, where hunky models flirted with the cameras, the audience and — at times — the limits of a PG rating. As usual, showman Galliano gave the press — and a front row that included actor Vincent Perez, Lou Douillon and Marianne Faithfull — lots to talk about. Some of the models wore skirts, or had bits of lingerie peeking out from their suits, as if they dressed in the dark, in a hurry, in a compromising situation. Dior president Sidney Toledano said he already placed his order. “It’s a black suit — no skirt,” he clarified with a chuckle before the Dior Homme show Monday night. But it turns out Hedi Slimane, who helped close men’s fashion week in Paris, was on a similar wavelength. In the middle of his show, out strode a group of models in long and swishing kilts. Jeanne Moreau, down the row from Karl Lagerfeld, Mick Jagger and Betty Catroux, applauded with approval.

Thanks for the article, Lena. Back in '96, early summer, I tried on my first men's skirt in a shop in Munich. Since I'm not tall, I thought it would just dominate me or make me look like Mary Poppins. But it fit and looked great, with black motorcycle boots and a Road Warrior-type, post-apocalyptic light sweater. Even later in conservative-*** D.C., I'd wear a brown-gray cashmere wrap as a long skirt. There was nothing sarong-ish about it. The only time that was a mistake was once with a buzzed head as I looked like I was distributing copies of the Bhagavad Gita. Other than that, I loved it.

Basically, I'm all for it.

I remember that Comme made a tweed trouser-skirt some time ago (FW98). I would wear that, too. (at weekends only, tho:-) The jacket is abs. beautiful.

Attachments

• 00025.jpg
    00025.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 83

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"