Men's Denim

Question - how do APC jeans compare to Dior Homme? I (briefly) owned a pair of SS 05 black jeans, back when they were Japanese made, and I can't believe I sold them - the fit was just incredible, really, nothing I've ever seen like it can compare. I bought a size 32, being a 30-31 waist and they weren't tight at all, but not baggy, they just had a very perfect fit. I can't describe it..it was just all around superior to anything I had ever seen before. I know Hedi used APC as his inspiration.

APC Cure and the raw denim ones from DH are quite similar... in terms of fit... but the quality is by far different. A lot of people (mainly denim enthusiasts) prefer APC, before DH.

^Yea, I have a pair of new standards, and I love the quality - but the quality of the DH I had was also amazing. They just looked like they cost what they cost, imo. So maybe I could get a pair of cures, maybe a size up? Or New Standards?

These were the DH jeans:

PA220125.jpg

and...what waist size is a Yohji Yamamoto Jeans Pour Homme waist size 3, I'm suspecting it's a bigger size...like 33-34? :(

Last edited by a moderator:
It really depends on how you like to wear your jeans. I would say, If you are a size 31 waist, you should get a 31 waist, then you can break them in and stretch them so they fit perfectly to your body and compliment it.

If I'm not mistaken, size 3 in YY PH jeans is a size 32-33...

faust said:
at 3 posts on these forums, you are begging to sound ignorant and arrogant. there are plenty of ways to get these jeans at $50.

That's true, but a pair of Sevens or TRs at such prices are always going to be in question. Especially if there're a fair quantity of them available.

Arturo21 said:
I bought a size 32, being a 30-31 waist and they weren't tight at all, but not baggy, they just had a very perfect fit. I can't describe it..it was just all around superior to anything I had ever seen before. I know Hedi used APC as his inspiration.

I think what i like about my APC new standards is the fact that they're well made, you can feel like you've bought something worth the price (which is really low, for so called cult denim) without being uncomfortable like some denim with heavier weights. My NS seem to fit just like you said, not outrageously skintight, but fitting and snug.

Arturo21 said:
^Yea, I have a pair of new standards, and I love the quality - but the quality of the DH I had was also amazing. They just looked like they cost what they cost, imo. So maybe I could get a pair of cures, maybe a size up? Or New Standards?

APC sizing is discussed in lenght in the APC jeans thread... i think the general consensus is to go 1 or 2 sizes down, buy them tight as possible they tend to stretch...

as for the cut and quality, let's not kid ourselves, APC is very nice for its price range and is a good basic no fuss jean, i recently got a cure pair in vintage blue, but DH jeans are on a whole other level (especially the japan denim ones).

tweedlesinpink said:
That's true, but a pair of Sevens or TRs at such prices are always going to be in question. Especially if there're a fair quantity of them available.

I think it's kind of silly to judge something by price alone. You are not taking into account the very cheap cost of production of the brands you mentioned and their wide distribution. There inevitably will be overstock of these to go around. At the last Barneys warehouse sale, for example, they couldn't give away TRs at $60. Are you saying that Barneys buys fakes?

Izreal said:
APC sizing is discussed in lenght in the APC jeans thread... i think the general consensus is to go 1 or 2 sizes down, buy them tight as possible they tend to stretch...

as for the cut and quality, let's not kid ourselves, APC is very nice for its price range and is a good basic no fuss jean, i recently got a cure pair in vintage blue, but DH jeans are on a whole other level (especially the japan denim ones).

I've made what I believe is quite an informative post on various APC models, sizing and those that would fit like DH on the APC thread.

As for APC's quality being lower than DH I do have, and enjoy wearing jeans from both companies and certainly wouldn't say that. I know it's hard to accept but price is often function of the size of the marketing campaign, overhead cost, image conveyed and not of the construction/material of the product sold. If you like the DH fit, buy DH but don't think they're the pinnacle of jeans construction, they simply aren't.

I have a pair of APC cure (raw denim) and the have stretched A LOT! :shock: I wear size 28 or 29 in DH and those APCs are size 26, but have stretched to the same waist size as my DHs. Anyway i def recommend APC, just perfect fit (i would say exactly the same as DH 17 cm except that the DH is a bit longer) and really really price worthy. :flower:

faust said:
I think it's kind of silly to judge something by price alone. You are not taking into account the very cheap cost of production of the brands you mentioned and their wide distribution. There inevitably will be overstock of these to go around. At the last Barneys warehouse sale, for example, they couldn't give away TRs at $60. Are you saying that Barneys buys fakes?

Those Barney conterfeiters are such rakes, I heard they get their fakes directly from cheap chinese factories, oh wait that's where the originals are made :P

:flower: Thanks everyone.

One last question...sizing of Rick Owens jeans - big, small?

Arturo21 said:
:flower: Thanks everyone.

One last question...sizing of Rick Owens jeans - big, small?

I believe they run pretty big, because generally low waisted. I think kLm owns several pairs, you might want to ask him.

Article from the May issue of GQ

STYLE ANATOMY: STRAIGHT-LEG JEANS

Why it’s time to trade in your boot-cut jeans for a pair of straight legs

Sure, we all want comfortable jeans. But that doesn’t mean they should fit like a pair of sweats. Like any other pants in your closet, they should be trim, tailored, and stylish. Just ask any of the guys in the Strokes or, for that matter, Bruce Springsteen. That’s what’s great about straight-leg jeans— they not only feel right-this-minute, they also feel classic American. And unlike floppy boot-cut jeans, they make total sense with a pair of lace-ups and a slim suit jacket. Buy them so they gather a bit at the ankles, and make sure they fit easily around your waist. You’re not in Spinal Tap—you don’t need excessively tight trousers.

00001v.jpg

1. Raw
The New Standard by A.P.C., $140
Cut from a stiff dark denim that ultimately molds to your body, creating just the right fit.
www.apc.fr

00002v.jpg

2. Faded
Premium Slim by Banana Republic, $126
A fuller leg and a light wash suit the guy with some muscle to his legs.
www.bananarepublic.com

00003v.jpg

3. Dark
Teddyboy by AG Adriano Goldschmied, $145
Slim fitting and unfaded, but not so rigid you can’t get them on.
212-680-0581

00004v.jpg

4. Low Rise
The Offender by Levi’s Capital E, $158
Not for the modest guy—the waist hits just below the hips.
www.levi.com

00005v.jpg

5. Easy Fit
Monsoon by Rogan, $320
Styled to fit like trousers and made from soft, washed-out denim.
888-8-BARNEYS

00006v.jpg

6. Skinny
Climb by Jil Sander, $385
For the guy who favors a trim suit jacket and pointy dress shoes with his jeans.
212-838-6100

source:men.style.com

^^^ Seriously, this kind of trendy nonsense is why I've stuck with straight-legged jeans to begin with. They're classic; will never go out of style.

faust said:
I believe they run pretty big, because generally low waisted. I think kLm owns several pairs, you might want to ask him.

rick owens? sizing? why does he bother?

i've got a pair that are a 36 that i can hardly breathe in, and a pair in a 32 that fit just right, and some pairs in between. all i can say is don't even think about buying unless you can try them on, or you trust whoever is measuring for you to give an accurate appraisal. the problem is that it might say 34 and fit like a 34, or it might say 34 and fit like a 32. or 38. sometimes i extrapolate and think that he assigns sizes the way he wants people to wear them. actually, i extrapolate that for a few designers nowadays. i'd rather make my own decisions about how i wear something, but they don't seem to want to let me.

if i were generalizing i would say that i think r.o. runs small.

Knowing about RO, I was afraid of that... At least Yoox.com offers a return policy... :innocent:

I don't know what you're talking about... :brows:

Trawling through the thread i found some posts about the poor quality of Cheap Monday jeans. Opinions on this brand? I'm asking because their unwashed denim is really on the low-side pricewise.

Also they have raw white denim. What does white denim look like after it's been worn in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnakePlissken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->