Metallica

Karen0193

Reaction score
788px-Metallica_at_The_O2_Arena_London_2008.jpg

Metallica is an American heavy metal band from Los Angeles, California, formed in 1981. Founded when drummer Lars Ulrich posted an advertisement in a local newspaper, Metallica's line-up has primarily consisted of Ulrich, rhythm guitarist and vocalist James Hetfield, and lead guitaristKirk Hammett, while going through a number of bassists. Currently, the spot is held by Robert Trujillo.
Metallica's early releases included fast tempos, instrumentals, and aggressive musicianship that placed them as one of the "big four" of the thrash metal subgenre alongside Slayer, Megadeth, and Anthrax.[1] The band earned a growing fan base in the underground music community and critical acclaim, with the 1986 release Master of Puppets described as one of the most influential and "heavy" thrash metal albums. The band achieved substantial commercial success with Metallica (1991), which debuted at number one on the Billboard 200. With this release the band expanded its musical direction resulting in an album that appealed to a more mainstream audience.
Wikipedia

Metallica is quite often one's portal to metal. Metallica's gig in ´06 was my first metal concert. They did a blasting Master of Puppets tribute.
Although I am not as ecstatic as back then, still, their first four albums are smashing!
Newsted was awesomely kooky - too bad he got picked on a lot because of that :(
My fav live is Moscow´91. I remember getting goosebumps when i saw it :smile:

^^Karen I guess so much talking about heavy metal encourage you to start a thread, you got ahead of me :flower: any way. I think they peak at the Live S..t Bing & Purge 89 in Seattle it´s the best perfomance I´ve seen by them. \m/

That Seattle gig was great, yet I think Moscow's live was powerful not only because of the perfomance, but also due to the local cultural backround. Sheltered for so long..people went nuts, and you can really feel the electrified energy oozing from the crowd!

^^ I was actually thinking about creating this thread a while ago, but I felt like nobody was gonna post in it. I finally decided to creat one, you can always creat one for Pantera.

Aleksejeva you are totally right about Metallica being a pull to other bands, as it is the most mainstream band in Metal history, their new songs make some people wanna research more and download their oldest song(Kill 'Em All, Ride The Lightning, Master of Puppets,...And Justice For All and The Black Album, their best albums) or like in my case, your family who lived in the 80's talks about them and you get curious and that way you start getting more into it.
Moscow was such a powerful performance, musically Seattle was better but Moscow is much more powerful, because of the crowd.

Nice way to making both happy :wink:, I also agree the Moscow show was really powerfull because of the culture shock of the crowd and the authorities. Anyway what do you think of the new album "Death Magnetic", I think that it´s an ok album, they really try to go back to their roots but you know what they say second parts are never as good.:flower::flower: I hope that for the next album if there is a next album they stop trying to emulate themselves and try to get in the same state of mind that they were back in the 80´s or they should fired Kirk:yuk::sick: and re hire Dave Mustaine (never gonna happen), but a man can dream right???:lol::lol:

I have Death Magnetic, it is the first Metallica album that I bought, because here in Latinamerica you have to research for metal albums. I find it a really descent album, if they tried to emulate Master Of Puppets,they failed. I think its more like ...And Justice For All, because of the lenght of the songs and the overuse of Kirk's guitar.

NO way they'll fire Kirk, if some one need to get fired from Metallica, that person is Lars Ulrich(although I love him). Metallica without Kirk wouldnt be Metallica. Kirk is indeed an esential part of the band, he is an iconic guitarrist, one of the best guitar players evers. Kirk Hammet will continue to be Metallica's guitarris until the band fades, he seems by far the must humble member, he is such a nice guy. In other words, I'd cry if Kirk gets fired, he is my favourite bandmember.

Well it´s first of all, here in Guate it´s not really hard to find Metal albums, it´s weird we still have a lot of cd´s stores you can find from the latest of System of a Down to the first of Overkill, 2nd I agree with you Death Magnetic is more like ...And Justice than Master Of Puppets but at least Justice have a little more consistancy what I mean is that altough in Justice the songs were incredible long they never lost the core of the song, the main riff only had variations of itself, while in death magnetic they start with one riff they have the chorus of another song (or feels like it) and last but not least Kirk.
I think he used to be a good player at least when he still had the Satriani lessons fresh, after that he went downhill, here´s my review of Kirk Solo´s:
Kill ´em all: Kirk did not write any of the solos that is Dave´s job performed by Kirk.
Ride The Lightning: His best job some of his best solos are in this album, personal favorite Ride The Lightning solo (the song)
Master Of Puppets: You can see the influence of Cliff in Kirk by listening the solos it´s clear that for this album they explore their classical vein.
...And Justice for All: Without the most educated of the four in music, they try to take Metallica to another place but they ended up lost, it´s a good album and has some great solos but some just sounds like "what a h..l just make noise" case in point "The Frayed ends of sanity"
and from here Kirk went downhillllllllll.
and now really the last topic I thinks Kirk it´s a nice guy, not very metal you know like let´s say Phil Anselmo (jeje) but the ultimate Metallica member for me it´s Jason he really gave it all while he was in Metallica, shame on James and Lars for not respecting him.

Jason was the only member that refused to sell his soul for mainstream, while other memeber were more intersted in making documentaries, Jason was more focused on making good metal music. I think that Robert Trujillo is a good bass player but I dont feel like he brings much to the band.

I think that Metallica has an uncertain future, I'm just hoping that Death Magnetic is a bit of what's next to them and they hopefully stop trying to return to what they've acheved before and finally recognize that they cant repeat Master Of Puppets. I think that they should acknoledge their past and put them in prospective and that way mixing the past with the new, make an amazing record that pleases all her fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aw them in Boston and they were great. One thing I love about their concerts is the variety they play... about 40% is standard for the tour, the rest is out there. Much prefer that format to say something like AC/DC who play the same 18 - 20 songs every single night

I agree, I think they are in right lane towards making heavy music again, to me Death Magnetic it´s x10 better than St. Anger, so I guess they still have a chance with fans, at least in America. By the way have you notice that they only tour America when they release an album, but when the promotion of the album ends they go running back to Europe, I don´t get it, I know they have more festivals and the audience it´s more respectful (they don´t throw stuff in to the stage) but they should tour Latinoamerica more often, I know I would go see them. \m/

I've noticed that, but I dont really blame them for choosing Europe. They got the best festivals and the best arenas. Latinamerica is in need of good concerts, especially here :judge:
Bring Metallica to Latiamerica(not only México and Argentina)

I believe it was worthy to post this video here, it only proves that the S eatlle 1989 was one of their best live performances. Kirk is just unbeliavable here.
From YuanLoser's, Gremlinhellfire and GH355 youtube.
In order: Seek And Destroy,Fade To Black and Welcome Home( Sanitarium)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe they didn't have a thread before :o :judge:

Thanks for creating it Karen :flower: Metallica was the band that got me into metal. And you were the person :lol:

A documentary about Metallica's perfomance at Monsters of Rock Moscow 1991 from burttoncbell1's youtube
For Those About To Rock is the name of a video containing live performances by AC/DC, The Black Crowes, Metallica and Pantera.

I saw them last July in Madrid. Amazing dude, amazing. I still miss Jason...

Karen! :shifty:
Metallica to release new live DVD
'Francais Pour Une Nuit' was recorded in Nimes in July

Metallica are to release 'Francais Pour Une Nuit', a DVD of their gig in Nimes, France which took place in July of this year.

The title translates in English to 'French For One Night' as the footage was recorded by a French crew, the artwork designed by a French team and the credits for the DVD are also in French.

As such, the DVD will only be available to buy in shops in France, but fans will be able to purchase it online through Universal Music's website Metallicanimes.com and the band's own Metallica.com site.

As well as live recordings from the show the DVD will also feature backstage footage. It will be available on November 23 in the following formats:

- Deluxe Limited Edition Box with a DVD/Death Magnetic CD/T-Shirt/Laminated pass and lanyard/Five exclusive photos
- Standard DVD in digipack/one DVD including two hours of the show, 37-minute interview with the band, five videos from the audience/16-page booklet
- Blu-Ray DVD/one DVD including two hours of the show, 37-minute interview of the band, five videos from the audience/16-page booklet

The tracklisting for Francais Pour Une Nuit is:

'Blackened'
'Creeping Death'
'Fuel'
'Harvester Of Sorrow'
'Fade To Black'
'Broken, Beat & Scarred'
'Cyanide'
'Sad But True'
'One'
'All Nightmare Long'
'The Day That Never Comes'