Michelle Dockery

Michelle Dockery attends the "Downton Abbey" World Premiere at Cineworld Leicester Square on September 09, 2019 in London, England.

hJJZgJq.jpg

ZBpUquL.jpg

Arrives at The One Show in London on September 10, 2019.

KOaPO8K.jpg

At Washington Dulles Airport.

5S9pvOR.jpg

tress Michelle Dockery at the "Downton Abbey" Washington, DC screening at the British Ambassador's Residence on September 12, 2019 in Washington, DC.

QdXGUau.jpg

dWq9u2K.jpg

hawtcelebs.com, dailymail.co.uk​

funny, but i love the simple street look with the loafers and backpack, ha ha

Michelle Dockery attends the "Downton Abbey" New York Premiere at Alice Tully Hall, Lincoln Center on September 16, 2019 in New York City.

JikEr0M.jpg

HaZS7Br.jpg

Actors Jim Carter, Allen Leech, Michelle Dockery, Phyllis Logan, Laura Carmichael, Kevin Doyle, Elizabeth McGovern and Hugh Bonneville pose for a photo during a SiriusXM Town Hall special with the cast of Downton Abbey hosted by Andy Cohen on his exclusive SiriusXM channel Radio Andy on September 16, 2019 in New York City.

ByTBr43.jpg

rUCcSEb.jpg

zimbio.com

Town & Country October 2019

Can You Go Home Again?

Photographer: Tom Schirmacher
Stylist: Anne Christensen
Hair: Thom Priano
Makeup: Rachel Goodwin
Cast: Laura Carmichael, Michelle Dockery, Allan Leech

Town & Country Digital Edition

Leaving 'The View' on September 18, 2019.

YRJcncF.jpg

Heading to 'Live with Kelly & Ryan' on September 17, 2019.

BiOMuVD.jpg

'Downton Abbey' BAFTA Screening on September 16, 2019.

16Dbwa6.jpg

hawtcelebs.com

Michelle Dockery attends the "Downton Abbey" red carpet during the 14th Rome Film Festival on October 19, 2019 in Rome, Italy.

868eMn0.jpg

4MeWFsU.jpg

Michelle Dockery attends the photocall of the movie "Downton Abbey" during the 14th Rome Film Festival on October 19, 2019 in Rome, Italy.

FfaGOox.jpg

pARiAxP.jpg

zimbio.com

Porter by Net-A-Porter
December 20, 2019

All Change
Model Michelle Dockery
Photographer Ward Ivan Rafik
Fashion editor Michelle Jank

Best known as Downton Abbey’s indelible Lady Mary, MICHELLE DOCKERY effortlessly transitions from haughty aristocrat to corrupt cockney in Guy Ritchie’s new gangster movie, The Gentlemen. LAURA CRAIK talks to the British star about her working-class roots, embracing a golden age of opportunities for female actors and why working with Ritchie, Matthew McConaughey, Hugh Grant and her idol Jeremy Strong was a dream come true.

Michelle Dockery is about as different from Downton Abbey’s Lady Mary as is imaginable. Dressed in Totême boyfriend jeans, white Adidas trainers and a black cashmere turtleneck, she is warm, effusive and quick to laugh where Lady Mary is frosty and composed, and she has an accent not dissimilar to Victoria Beckham’s. “It may come as a bit of a shock to everyone when I open my mouth in the film,” she smiles.

“The film” is The Gentlemen, a classic gangster caper written and directed by Guy Ritchie in a return to the genre that first made him famous. “Charlie [Hunnan, one of Dockery’s co-stars] is calling The Gentlemen ‘vintage Ritchie’, and I think that’s right,” she says of the British director behind Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch. “I play Rosalind, who is the wife of Matthew McConaughey’s character, Mickey,” Dockery explains. “He has these marijuana farms that are growing underneath stately homes, hence the title The Gentlemen.”

Marijuana farms? What would Carson say? Dockery laughs. After six years playing Lady Mary Crawley in Downton Abbey – first in the well-loved TV series (which has won 15 Emmys and been watched by an estimated 270m people worldwide) and latterly in the movie – her role in The Gentlemen was a great departure for the 38-year-old British actress. “Rosalind runs a car dealership, which she’s inherited through her family. She’s a real, tough, east-London girl. I grew up in Essex, and my family has a sort of east-London background, so it was great to step into that world.”

To say the cast of The Gentlemen is “stellar” is an understatement: in addition to Dockery, McConaughey and Hunnam, the movie stars Hugh Grant (who plays equally against type and appears as a corrupt and predatory reporter), Colin Farrell, Henry Golding, and Jeremy Strong, most recently seen as the troubled Kendall Roy in HBO’s Succession – of which Dockery is a huge fan. “I mean, this whole interview could be about Succession,” she laughs. “It’s absolutely brilliant, the best thing on TV. Every single character is Shakespearean. I loved working with Jeremy. We only had one scene together, a dinner-party scene, and I would never have seen his character the way he played it. He was a joy to watch, and worlds away from Kendall.”

Working with Ritchie – and the laugh-a-minute, largely male cast – was, Dockery says, a dream. “There’s one scene where I arrive at my garage, and Guy wanted to add a bit of dialogue, just off the cuff. I had to be on my toes, and I really enjoyed that. So often, when I’m working, the process is very much word for word, and on this film it was malleable. It was liberating.” She also relished collaborating with Ritchie on Rosalind’s look. “Even though Rosalind works in a garage, I get to wear the most beautiful Balmain jumpsuit, and the first scene is me walking into the garage in a pair of Louboutins, which is hilarious. Rosalind has clearly worked her way up to where she is, really enjoys the lifestyle and having money, but still wants to work. I love that about her character, that she still gets her hands dirty.”

Dockery says she is happy with the quality of roles she has been offered in her career (she graduated from London’s Guildhall School of Music & Drama in 2004), while being aware that, in the past, female actors have lamented the paucity of fully rounded female characters. “I do feel I stepped into this industry at a time when things were really beginning to change, especially for women. It’s the golden age of television, where creators have the luxury of writing 10 hours as opposed to just two, so there’s room to explore a character in greater depth. It’s now becoming much more normal to start a job or to read a part and for me to have a dialogue with the creators – if there are moments where it’s felt the female character is not involved, for example – whereas I guess in the past, it would have felt like more of a fight.”

Does she have any aspirations to write or direct herself? She laughs. “I do think about, you know, doing other things. Right now, I’m not sure exactly what, but…” she tails off, laughing. The glint in her eye suggests she has something in the pipeline.

fter a six-month stint in Boston, where she was filming Defending Jacob, a harrowing miniseries about a family whose lives are torn apart after the death of a boy at their son’s school (“it’s not a comedy,” she notes wryly), she is very much enjoying being home in north London, where she lives close to her two sisters (Dockery is the youngest of three). “It’s a cozy time of year to be home,” she smiles, nursing a cup of tea. “It’s great catching up with friends and family – and, because I travel a lot for work, every time I come back to London, I appreciate it much more. Recently a friend came over from LA and we went to the Antony Gormley exhibition. It took my breath away.”

Can she walk around London fairly anonymously? “Yes, more so here than in America. But that’s the thing with our culture. Brits are too cool to approach you, but in America people have more confidence to come over and say something. It still takes me very much by surprise, but it goes in waves. When the Downton film came out, it peaked again.”

She laughs as she explains that she can never tell who’s going to be a Downton fan. “I got into a cab a little while ago, and the driver was this big, burly Guy Ritchie type. ‘Where you going, love?’ he said. And then it went a bit quiet. And then he was like, ‘You alright?’ And I was like, ‘Yeah, yeah,’ and told him about my day. And he suddenly went, ‘Shame about your sister in season 3.’ And I just laughed out loud. People really surprise me sometimes.”

Would she say she’s an introvert or an extrovert? “I’m an introvert.” Although not the stay-at-home type. “I do like to go out and dance. For me, it’s not a night out unless I’m on the dance floor. Every couple of months, I just need to dance; have one of those… dance-y nights.”

Her interest in fashion is modest rather than craven. “I love clothes but can be ignorant of certain designers. I like supporting young ones coming up.” She’s also what she calls “a coat girl”, with more coats than shoes. But her most cherished possession is a St Christopher necklace her mom gave her. “It comes everywhere with me. I’ve had it for 15 or 20 years.” She recently started donating her old clothes to Smart Works, a British charity of which the Duchess of Sussex is a patron, which helps unemployed women get back to work. “They’ve got all my skinny jeans.”

Our time being almost over, I finish with the question few subjects want to answer. Is she in love at the moment? She laughs and draws an imaginary zip across her mouth. The line of enquiry is especially sensitive as Dockery’s fiancé, Irishman John Dineen, passed away in 2015. She is now rumored to be dating Jasper Waller-Bridge, brother of the feted Phoebe, creator of Fleabag and Killing Eve. If this is true, perhaps we’ll see her in a comedy soon? “There are things on the back burner, but I can’t say,” she says. Then, in a quick flash of Lady Mary, she concludes with a polite, “Thank you so much. It’s been really lovely.”

The Gentlemen is released on January 1, 2020
net-a-porter

Michelle Dockery attends "The Gentleman" Special Screening at The Curzon Mayfair on December 03, 2019 in London, England.

n9f8PyN.jpg

Michelle Dockery attends The Fashion Awards 2019 at the Royal Albert Hall on December 02, 2019 in London, England.

OGUscLD.jpg

Pem7UN2.jpg

dailymail.co.uk, hawtcelebs.com

She's looking great and I LOVE that she's dating Phoebe Waller-Bridge's brother. I so want her to be happy after all she's been through! Can't wait to see The Gentlemen as well, what a cast.

Tatler February 2020

Leading Lady

Photographer: Jack Waterlot
Stylist: Sophie Pera
Hair: Maarit Niemela
Makeup: Liz Pugh
Manicure: Chisato Yamamoto
Cast: Michelle Dockery

Tatler Digital Edition

Michelle Dockery attends G'Day USA 2020 at Beverly Wilshire, A Four Seasons Hotel on January 25, 2020 in Beverly Hills, California.

T9h9PTM.jpg

UzwX6OK.jpg

Michelle Dockery of "Defending Jacob" speaks onstage during the Apple TV+ segment of the 2020 Winter TCA Tour at The Langham Huntington, Pasadena on January 19, 2020 in Pasadena, California.

lYuQUPx.jpg

(L-R) Henry Golding, Guy Ritchie, Matthew McConaughey, Charlie Hunnam, Michelle Dockery, and Hugh Grant attend the Special NY Screening of "The Gentlemen" at the Alamo Drafthouse on January 11, 2020 in New York City.

PvyiNXP.jpg

tFLZsGy.jpg

Michelle Dockery attends the NY Photo Call for "The Gentlemen" at The Whitby Hotel on January 11, 2020 in New York City.

FkIQbIr.jpg

9EvZwbH.jpg

zimbio.com

(L-R) Caitriona Balfe, Laura Brown, and Michelle Dockery attend the InStyle Badass Women Dinner Hosted By Laura Brown & Sponsored By Secret at Sunset Tower on January 28, 2020 in West Hollywood, California.

wyPy5l0.jpg

zimbio.com

In London on April 06, 2020.

GFy5RJk.jpg

hawtcelebs.com

In London on May 28, 2020.

VUjQdfz.jpg

hawtcelebs.com

Michelle Dockery enjoys leisurely stroll with her pet dog in London, 9/29/20
33763486-8785243-image-m-16_1601383680150.jpg
33763492-8785243-image-m-34_1601383783079.jpg
dailymail.co.uk

Michelle Dockery attends the launch of the new Range Rover at The Royal Opera House on October 26, 2021 in London, England.

dpCmpSl.jpg

Elizabeth McGovern and Michelle Dockery seen arriving at Scott's restaurant to celebrating Elizabeth McGovern's 60th birthday on July 19, 2021 in London, England.

lept97i.jpg

dailymail.co.uk, wireimage.com​

Last edited:
Michelle Dockery attends the World Premiere of Anatomy Of A Scandal at the Curzon Mayfair on April 14, 2022 in London, England.

aFjUZdN.jpg

CnhX2lG.jpg

bellazon.com​

Michelle Dockery seen leaving a hotel on April 26, 2022 in London, England.

Za2zFnH.jpg

Ly3gDLX.jpg

Michelle Dockery seen leaving The One Show on April 26, 2022 in London, England.

g9qPukw.jpg

OBVX4ef.jpg

Arrives at Downton Abbey: A New Era afterparty in London on 25th April 2022.

kP2Y7ur.jpg

IxpbqF3.jpg

Michelle Dockery attends the World Premiere of "Downton Abbey: A New Era" at Cineworld Leicester Square on April 25, 2022 in London, England.

w359oEL.jpg

cGxkkUd.jpg

In London on April 24, 2022.

a24M14n.jpg

hawtcelebs.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magfag
Back