Model Trends Over The Years

Great thread idea :flower:

I find it very interesting that most models or a peroid of time can closely relate to a specific trend. At the moment I'd say there are a couple of trends, the movement away from the very young girls towards a slightly older model e.g Saskia, Aymeline and even Arizona... this may conincide with the 'individual' trend, moving away from generic girls towards the models with charisma and a sense of 'individuality', perhaps less of the model just being the coat hanger and more of the personality?

Although there are certain trends relating to a specific time period, I think there are several 'types' of models that will always be around, generally speaking I think a trend is when there are a group of models with a defining characteristic working at one time

Last edited by a moderator:
Who exactly is part of this Lara Stone era, other than Lara Stone? I'm not trying to be funny, I'm genuinely curious because I can't think of a single model who's gotten famous because she looks like Lara.

Who exactly is part of this Lara Stone era, other than Lara Stone? I'm not trying to be funny, I'm genuinely curious because I can't think of a single model who's gotten famous because she looks like Lara.

If you phrase it like that it sure makes no sense :rolleyes: maybe Brigitte Bardot look-alikes would be fitting as well.

Toni Garrn was said to look like Lara Stone, Ashley Smith because of the boobs and the teeth gap, Georgia May Jagger because of the teeth gap, Daphne Groeneveld was also said to look like Lara even by Carine Roitfeld (that's why she was booked for the Vogue Paris cover, I think I read that somewhere at least). I think that's all of the mentionable ones.

How about the androgynous look? I think it has been there always, but, when did it peaked?

If you phrase it like that it sure makes no sense :rolleyes: maybe Brigitte Bardot look-alikes would be fitting as well.

Toni Garrn was said to look like Lara Stone, Ashley Smith because of the boobs and the teeth gap, Georgia May Jagger because of the teeth gap, Daphne Groeneveld was also said to look like Lara even by Carine Roitfeld (that's why she was booked for the Vogue Paris cover, I think I read that somewhere at least). I think that's all of the mentionable ones.

You nailed it.

I've been noticing a rise in Freja and Snejana clones as well, not nearly enough to constitute a trend or anything, but I find this model cloning phenomena strange, especially when the girls they are cloning are still young and relatively in the prime of their careers.

Don't forget Tali Lennox, Anna Cleveland.

And of course the Aldridge sisters, but that's because of their brother not their parents. And of course Pixie Geldof, and Devon Aoki.

The rise of models that are over 20 is coming soon, and the rise of Asian models.

And of course the Aldridge sisters, but that's because of their brother not their parents. And of course Pixie Geldof, and Devon Aoki.

The rise of models that are over 20 is coming soon, and the rise of Asian models.

now that's a trend I'd love to continue seeing. I'm so sick of seeing preteens looking like they are playing dress up. I'm not a big fan of Saskia, but if models like her and Arizona keep coming up I'm up for it!

and I sure hope so for the Asian girls!

Re: The Lara Clones, I agree it mostly goes back to Brigitte Bardot (well except for maybe Ashley Smith :ninja:). I would say that the girls we are seeing recently are similiar but also different to Lara (even if all fall under the BB trend, and possibly wouldn't be around if it weren't for Lara's success).

To me, there are two sub-trends: Lara Stone and Claudia Schiffer are reminscent of Brigitte Bardot in the mid-60s+, whereas the girls now are more Bardot 50s-to-early-60s. They're younger, poutier, with rounder faces and softer features; teasing kittens, but not deadly seductive bombshells.
Baby Bardots.

A gap in the teeth isn't necessary for the trend but the focus still always seems to be on the mouth.

QFzjz.jpg

bardotlove.tumblr

BRIGITTE BARDOT
1960s+
Blonde Bombshell

i9onj.jpg

listal / wikipedia

1988 CLAUDIA SCHIFFER

tvd8P.jpg

ebay / coquette.blog

2006 LARA STONE

jew7P.jpg

thebosh / reallifeiselsewhere.blogspot

BRIGITTE BARDOT 1950s - early 1960s
Pouting Sex Kitten

OhwRQ.jpg
6hyb7.jpg

8rwjT.jpg

mademoisellebardot.tumblr / bardotlove.tumblr

2009 GEORGIA MAY JAGGER

2Q8K1.jpg
zEroP.jpg

myfashionlife

2010 DAPHNE GROENEVELD

Vycjv.jpg
eO4du.jpg

style.it / jimshi809 @ Twitter

2010 HAILEY CLAUSON

VBpw8.jpg

nymag

And the trend is still going it seems, as seen in last week's Philosophy Di Alberta Ferretti casting

UUdaa.jpg

style

^ Thanks for posting :flower: I can now see this trend, it's less Lara and probably more BB but Lara probably caused the resurgence as you said. It's also interesting to see the trend continuing :smile:

I want racial diversity and legal aged models to not be a trend but a standard.

And the trend is still going it seems, as seen in last week's Philosophy Di Alberta Ferretti casting

and Frida, one of the models from Philiosophy Resort, showed up at Prada.

2011 FRIDA AASEN
46141199.jpg
lIubj.jpg

style

(not sure if i should note the actual year the model appears or the 'seasons' year).

Aesthetics of Models

Let's discuss the different aesthetics of models. I've just read this article called ¨"Ugly Beauty: A Report on the New Beauty Standard" ,and it talks about different types of aesthetics in which models have been classified to through times, for example: classical beauty such as supers like Cindy, Claudia, etc... Alien - Dolly, like; Gemma, Sasha, Lily C, etc.
Which other aesthetic category or beauty standard do you know about? ... and, which models would you classify in that category? How do you think the physical aesthetic of a model influences bookers and casting directors to book an specific type of girl or boy?... do you know any examples of a show or an editorial in which all (or the majority) of the models belonged to a specific type of aesthetic?, please post pics... how does this standars change as the years pass? I would like to read your opinions and information you may know about this topic. :wink:

^ the whole time reading that article i was just getting confused because the grammar was so bad.. and i couldn't read anymore.. i then felt bad when i skim read that the writer is only 17!!

but anyway..i feel that a lot of people will say that the past 2 years has been about the androgynous model and use freja as an example. but to be perfectly honest, i don't see her as androgynous, at least not in her facial features. i actually find her face to be very feminine. her androgyny is in her style more than anything.

i don't think there has been a such a strong 'aesthetic' of models since the alien-esque dolls. i don't think there is such a strong 'standard' of beauty. if you look at the top models of the moment, they are becoming more diverse, rather than these 'waves' of different aesthetics

^ Which is better I think. The "waves". Diversity is nice. :flower:

^ oh yes i probably should have stated that in my first post too. more diversity (in both race, and aesthetically) is what i prefer. if i even think of all of my personal favourite models, they aren't all one type of look. they are beautiful in very different ways, i think

of course though diversity amongst models is different to diversity amongst the entire population. they ARE models, so even though they may be different from each other, they are still generally physically different to most women in the street. so they may represent diverse beauty, but generally speaking (and i say generally, because everyone thinks different models are pretty/ugly) models are the epitome of the type of beauty that they represent.

Oh yes! Absolutely!
I guess that I'm very biased in my take on modelling given that I was brought up during the 90's when modelling was a career that could make you a household name- Naomi, Claudia, Linda, Christy, Kate, Shalom, Tatiana (?).. etc

I personally believe that designers/industry workers got fed-up of their power- shows wouldn't do as well if they didn't have the required models- who in turn were incredibly expensive. So by getting newer, younger, plainer looking girls, the power of the model was lost.

I don't know, I think that if a girl is attractive, and unique- and can convey personality through her photographs and stride, she should be hired.

as far as diversity is concerned, damn I wish that there was more.
I think the 80's and 90's were generally more interested in mainstream representation of different looks as compared to now. Also, now as China became the new market/target, whiteness is def. a profit maker. Not that it always hasn't been- it's just being over done.

Yes, please!

In the S/S 2012, while we were talking around the backstage (I worked in the newcomers room) I noted some funny things: first of all there were only two girls with 22/21 years old, another with 18 and everyone else was 16, 15, 14 and... 13.
I was pretty shocked with seeing 15 and younger models walking the runway with their breasts showing. Even the one with 13 did it. And I don't even know if that is legal.
Another thing I noticed was that the Asian trend didn't hit Portugal and we have a large Chinese community here. Even dark skin was rare, since there was only two models representing them.

Portugal is still looking for the pretty blonde girl with blue/green eyes. Although I'm seeing the "clone war" trend here too. First with the Adriana Lima look-alikes, then with the Anja Rubik look-alikes and I'm now seeing a desperate search for the Freja and Abbey Lee look-alikes.
But Portugal is still very "commercial" when it comes to models.

Internationally speaking, I'm seeing an end in the "russian girls" trend. The clones are attacking for sure, but I'm pretty happy with some newcomers like Kati Nescher, Josefien Rodermans, Kate King and Ros Georgiou. That is diversity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jozwiakanja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->