Moschino F/W 2018.19 by Steven Meisel

Now it's like the concept makes sense. You just really need a great model sometimes, no? The other 4 are atrocious here.

Rianne just saved this campaign for me. Soo Joo is also a pleasant surprise.

Rianne and Soo Joo's campaign are the best by far. This campaign is such a letdown though - there's no production element, just some girls in morph suits dressed as Jackie O. Moschino is normally so much better

Jeremy Scott Responds to Instagram Controversy

The designer defended his caption to the latest Moschino ad campaign explaining his will was “to bring attention to the U.S. administration’s harsh stance toward ‘illegal aliens.’”

By Sandra Salibian on June 26, 2018

NO COUNTRY FOR CAPTIONS: Jeremy Scott is the latest fashion designer sparking controversy for a caption posted on Instagram.

Moschino’s creative director shared on Monday the fall 2018 advertising campaign of the Italian label, starring Kaia Gerber and Gigi Hadid. Lensed by Steven Meisel, the models appear sporting the collection’s Sixties, Jackie O-inspired looks — comprising Pop Art-colored dresses, pillbox hats and bobbed, flipped under hairs — with their skin painted in red and blue, respectively.

In keeping with the theme of the fashion show during Milan Fashion Week in February, the intention was to make the “It” models look like aliens and androids, but Scott’s caption flanking Hadid’s image sparked controversy.

“The only thing illegal about this alien is how good she looks!” read the caption, which was also shared on Twitter.

The social audience didn’t spare the designer, accusing the wording to reference “illegal aliens” entering in the U.S. and Scott of bad taste given the political moment.

“That caption is disgusting. You’re profiting on the suffering of people escaping persecution, poverty and death,” commented a user, while another one concisely wrote “Delete that caption. Right now.”

“I don’t know why you thought that caption was cute but reconsider for real,” added another Instagrammer, while on Twitter comments included “Please reconsider this phrasing” and “The caption is not edgy, it’s disgusting.”

Given the reaction, Scott edited his caption to explain his intentions, writing

“ALIEN NATION ! @gigihadid STARS IN MY NEW @moschino CAMPAIGN SHOT BY STEVEN MEISEL & STYLED BY @carlynecerfdedudzeele HAIR & MAKE UP BY @guidopalau & @patmcgrathreal. WHAT IS AN “ALIEN?” THE CONCEPT OF MY AD CAMPAIGN IS TO BRING ATTENTION TO THE U.S. ADMINISTRATION’S HARSH STANCE TOWARD ‘ILLEGAL ALIENS.’ I PAINTED THE MODELS IN MY SHOW AND THIS CAMPAIGN AS A WAY TO OPEN A DISCUSSION ON WHAT EXACTLY AN ‘ALIEN’ IS — ARE THEY ORANGE, BLUE, YELLOW, GREEN? DOES THIS MATTER? THEY ARE OUR FRIENDS, NEIGHBORS, COWORKERS, RELATIVES AND PEOPLE WE LOVE.”

If the explanation calmed and convinced some users — including one commenting “I love the thought behind this campaign and I love it more because @gigihadid is part of it. Thank you sir,” — others continued to address the original caption and the designer’s lack of real effort to start a meaningful discussion on immigration.

A user wrote: “We won’t forget that, and changing the caption doesn’t change the fact this whole campaign just brings you profit. You want to start a discussion? Stop painting the same models blue and calling it revolutionary. Actually change the fashion game by hiring models that need to be represented. Get out in the street and do something worthwhile. Until then, you’re just another white man making money off the suffering of real people.”

Others joined the comment section concisely writing “we’re not forgetting your original caption,” or ironically adding: “All you did was paint thin white women different colors. Truly groundbreaking.”

Nevertheless, the discussion among Instagram factions didn’t stop both Gerber and Hadid from promoting the campaign. The former reposted the image she stars in, while the latter shared some behind-the-scenes contents via Instagram Stories on her account.

On Tuesday, Scott posted new pictures of the campaign, this time starring models Vittoria Ceretti and Soo Joo Park, featuring their skin painted in orange and baby blue, respectively.

Not sure about other planets, but on this one, fashion — and promotion — must go on.

Source: WWD.com

I mean really? I don’t think Jeremy Scott really had to correct himself...it’s so unnecessary...

Rianne's shot is by far the best... because it's Rianne and because it's actually different from the rest.

Source: WWD.com

Thank you Ben!
Classical fashion disconnect, i can totally see Jeremy with his fashion voice saying this is his stance against “alien persecution”. Like if i needed one more reason to find this campaign idiotic...

Oh shut up you fashion "liberals" and put Lady Melania on a cover!!!

^I did not mean forum members to shut up :lol:
I hate to kill a thread

Rianne is fabulous. Her picture slays everybody’s. The campaign should have been og, the rest are boring and Kaia looks like a kid on Halloween dressed up as Jackie O.

I really like Rianne's shot; gives me some major Jetsons vibes!
the others...tried

I really like Rianne's shot; gives me some major Jetsons vibes!
the others...tried

^But seriously, they're all white girls (yes Soo Joo is Asian but frankly, she's white and blonde).

Maybe if he used Muslim models, his "message" whould seem a bit less ridiculous, just a bit.

^But seriously, they're all white girls (yes Soo Joo is Asian but frankly, she's white and blonde).

Maybe if he used Muslim models, his "message" whould seem a bit less ridiculous, just a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derekz7
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->