Most Disturbing Movies/TV Shows/Books

I watched Mysterious Skin, and I wouldn't call it disturbing but more heartbreaking. Geez the ending scene just makes you feel so bad. That movie was so good though

The most disturbing movie I've seen so far was the French Martyrs. The plot twists and turns and it's everything from creepy, paranormal, unsettling and violent and the ending just blew me away and tore me apart. It's one of my favorites, it's just amazing.

Martyrs_tp01.jpg

wikipedia

watched we need to talk about kevin yesterday, found it really unsettling. the actors playing kevin were all amazing!

^ It's certainly a movie that you'll never forget. And the same with The Magic Toyshop which is a brilliant book, even though most of the people in my class at uni found it disturbing.

okay so Antichrist has taken the cake for disturbing movies... i have never gotten up from a movie and been afraid to do something little as to pee (people who have seen this know why) the movie left me confused, disgusted, and mentally damaged :lol: no, but seriously those last 30 minutes were bizarre. I will admit the camera angles and lighting were magnificent

Human Centipede 2...curiosity and some persuasive friends made me watch it. I got about 20 minutes into it and learned what I already knew: it's one of the most disgusting/disturbing/horrific/pointless movies ever made.

I agree with a lot of movie titles being named here. Requiem for a Dream, Dancer in the Dark, Dogtooth are all definitely disturbing. I avoid genre-horror movies, as a I see nothing appealing or enjoyable in that. I also don't typically find violence in movies to be that disturbing, mostly because it's usually presented in such a cartoonish way that I can't take it seriously. What I find most disturbing are movies that sort of catch me off-guard. Whether they be movies that I hadn't realize were so dark or movies that are able to build up the tension and present the depraved acts in very 'real' way.

I watched Oldboy the other day and it's the most disturbing thing I've seen in a long time. Talk about being caught off-guard, lol, I had no idea what it was about. I thought it was going to be your typical, sleek, action thriller. Oh boy was I wrong. With that said, while it left me speechless and disgusted at first, upon further analysis, I can't deny the movie's brilliance.

I have Oldboy and I still haven't watched it. Maybe I should tomorrow. My boyfriend wants to see Dogtooth but I don't know, there's just something really weird about it lol.

I read The Collector by John Fowles this summer, and it really haunted me; the two different points of view make you see this story differently than you might if it was told from just one perspective. Seeing from both the collector's and the victim's eyes confuses the reader, I think, to some extent, and just gives you that kind of nauseous feeling. It's a really sad and creepy book.

Just this week I watched Never Let Me Go, and the premise of the film (of course it was a famous novel first) is horrific. In the film itself, when it gets towards the last third of the plot, there are also some very "arresting" images that have been stuck in my head. Very, very bleak film. Again, so sad & also existentially horrifying.

These aren't disturbing works for their violence or gore or even weirdness, but more for the uneasy feelings they left me with, specifically about humanity.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read The Collector by John Fowles this summer, and it really haunted me; the two different points of view make you see this story differently than you might if it was told from just one perspective. Seeing from both the collector's and the victim's eyes confuses the reader, I think, to some extent, and just gives you that kind of nauseous feeling. It's a really sad and creepy book.

Have you seen the film version of The Collector? Personally I liked it a lot, but fans of the book tend to have a mixed reaction. Director William Wyler definitely made it more of a genre thriller than the book was (you can clearly see how it inspired works like Misery and Silence of the Lambs!), but I think that it maintained some interesting dynamics between captor and captive. I also thought that the central performances from Terence Stamp and Samantha Eggers were very strong. You may hate it, because it has a different tone than the book. But I found it disturbing as well, in a different way.

Has anyone watched Womb with Eva Green? It's the most disturbing movie I've ever watched.

One Ill never forget is Lilja 4-ever. I couldnt stop thinking about it for a long time.

Have you seen the film version of The Collector? Personally I liked it a lot, but fans of the book tend to have a mixed reaction. Director William Wyler definitely made it more of a genre thriller than the book was (you can clearly see how it inspired works like Misery and Silence of the Lambs!), but I think that it maintained some interesting dynamics between captor and captive. I also thought that the central performances from Terence Stamp and Samantha Eggers were very strong. You may hate it, because it has a different tone than the book. But I found it disturbing as well, in a different way.

I haven't watched it yet, but I plan to. At least two good friends, who both recommended the book, have said the film adaptation is great, and I trust their judgement. It's on my list. But I want to be in a really good mood, if you know what I mean. :flower:

Yrs ago, I saw Irreversible starring Monica Bellucci & Vincent Cassel and it was...:shock:unsure:. All I remember was staring opened-mouthed and horrified at the unflinchingly, graphic and brutal scenes of violence & r*pe. It was unnerving cuz every second I was expecting to cut away but it just went on and on..

Another movie I saw was a italian movie called Salo. If you wanna talk about disturbing by far this takes the cake. It's disturbing, disgusting & one of the most pointless pieces of crap (literally) I've ever had the misfortune to sit through:furious:.

I got that it was about political corruption, abuse of power, sadism, perversion, sexuality, fascism that leads the young or next generation being the ones to suffer in the end:rolleyes:.. That being said, I just couldn't get pass people eating feces in every other scene & doing other bodily functions:yuk:. The funny thing is, I borrowed it at one of my local libraries:lol:. I didn't really read what it was about; all that jumped out at me were descriptions of graphic nudity & strong sexual situations & me being a dumb teenager at the time found that exciting & taboo so I made the regrettable mistake of checking it out:doh:..

I literally haven't eatten chocolate pudding for yrs after this.. And I looove chocolate pudding:cry:
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by a moderator:
Pasolini's Salo might be my worst. When I saw it in a theater, people were streaming out.

I just watched Craig Zobel's Compliance and I have to say it was, by far, the most disturbing movie I have ever seen. I've seen quite a few unsettling films, but none made me as uncomfortable as this one.

It was also one of the best movies I've ever seen. The cast was superb. I can't get it out of my mind.

Part of what is so chilling is this actually happened in 2004. Google "McDonalds strip search prank" after you've watched this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->