Movie Stills - Fashion in Film #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's so ridiculously gorgeous you could watch it on mute and it'd still be a masterpiece visually. :heart:
but I guess it's not everybody's cup of tea.

I think this is what she ment. it seems to be a visual only proyect. I wouldn't even get near to call it a masterpiece, only a hype movie that mixes scene kids with history icons.

Well I submit that the story works very well and that Sofia Coppola's choice to include music from when she was growing up, hundreds of years later, to have everyone at court speaking the way each individual actors speaks, to focus on the decadence....I think it helps make Marie a more relateable character. That a 14 would get shipped off to a foreign land, forced to marry someone she didn't choose, was given every possible luxury and then blamed for taking advantage....it really makes her a more sympathetic character. The movie is like...magic. It's so dreamy, calm, luxurious... I've never seen anything like it. However, it is primarily a visual movie and there's nothing wrong with that. Some movies are all about clever dialogue and they skimp on attractive visuals. Some movies are all about character drama. It takes all kinds. Marie Antoinette happens to flourish beyond almost any other films in the visual department and so in that respect, I can't even see that one could argue it's value. Obviously different people want different things in movies. I thought The Duchess, for example, was too melodramatic, even though for the most part I liked it a great deal.

As for The Duchess

Last edited by a moderator:
^Marie Antoinette is actually my favorite film, and it's sad that everyone reads it the way they do. It's not really a period drama at all. The viewer shouldn't expect the same thing as they would from a film like The Duchess a huge climax or anything, because rather than focusing on telling a story, Coppola spends the entire film elaborating on a mood. The movie's just as much about melancholy as it is Marie Antoinette, and it's not too dissimilar from Lost in Translation, which on the other hand got oodles of critical acclaim.

I think a lot of people find it easy to write off though because of the complete superficiality of the characters, but really, isn't that the point? The whole film shows rich kids dressing up and spending their money on parties and cakes and clothes, but beneath it all, there's a palpable sense of their boredom and ennui. Other directors have done some very similar things, (Antonioni comes to mind right away) but for whatever reason they've been celebrated because of their use of visuals and slow narratives. I'm not going to argue that this particular Coppola deserves a place up there with the masters of cinema, but it'd be nice if she got some credit for her most ambitious project.

I'm over Sofia's movies (poor little rich girl stories are the most boring of all!) but I'll happily look at the screencaps :lol:

Lost in Translation was one of my favorite movies of the decade. But I understand why some people don't like it...

I'm over Sofia's movies (poor little rich girl stories are the most boring of all!) but I'll happily look at the screencaps :lol:

The girls of The Virgin Suicides weren't rich. And to call a story of 5 girls who were driven to suicide "poor little rich girl stories" seems...a little insensitive.

Charlotte from Lost in Translation was obviously well-off, but she wasn't frivolous. And the movie doesn't really try to make us feel bad for her. Ultimately, it's a movie about friendship, being an adult, and feeling lost. Those are things almost anyone, regardless of their financial situation, can relate to.

Marie Antoinette was incredibly wealthy, yes, but the problems she faced were above and beyond what we regular folk deal with. I think she transcends "poor little rich girl". The world hated her. She was killed by her own people. Her whole family was killed. etc. etc. etc.

I think the Amelie movie is so amazing, it's so beautiful, but the ending is sad..because it's the ending..

The Last Emperor (1987)

Peter O'Toole
John Lone
Joan Chen

emperor01.jpg
emperor02.jpg
emperor03.jpg
emperor04.jpg
emperor05.jpg
emperor06.jpg
emperor07.jpg
emperor08.jpg
emperor09.jpg
emperor10.jpg
emperor11.jpg
emperor12.jpg
emperor13.jpg
emperor14.jpg
emperor15.jpg

my caps

Those are quite stunning. Thank you!

"What Lies Beneath"
With Michelle Pfeiffer

michelle_pfeiffer_what_lies_bene-3.jpg

michelle_pfeiffer_what_lies_bene-2.jpg

michelle_pfeiffer_what_lies_bene-1.jpg

michelle_pfeiffer_what_lies_beneath.jpg

allmoviephoto

Not so good quality, but just saw the movie and remembered how out of this world Michelle is, she is just a great actress and super gorgeous! :flower: :heart:

^ Haha! :lol: I had the theme to the movie stuck in my head when I looked in this thread. Thanks for posting. The costumes in Fellini films are always great!

the caps for the last emperor are stunning. love it, completely. thanks for posting.
- wanted to make a suggestion that when people are posting caps, especially considering that this is a fashion forum, to research who did the costumes for the referenced film.

if you IMDB the information or just google 'costume designs' & the name of the film the information usually pops up. it would give the designer more visibility, i think.

as a first contribution to this thread; i researched 'the last emperor' & costume designs were by james acheson.

good suggestion

Bob le flambeur (1956)

Costume Design: Ted Lapidus
(I know some of the suits/shirts are suboptimal...)

bob01.jpg
bob02.jpg
bob03.jpg
bob04.jpg
bob05.jpg
bob06.jpg
bob07.jpg
bob08.jpg
bob09.jpg
bob10.jpg
bob11z.jpg
bob12.jpg
bob13.jpg
bob14w.jpg
bob15.jpg

my caps

This is the first image from the upcoming film Black Swan. Rodarte created 40 costumes for the movie, including this one. I can't wait to see the rest!

3e919d71fa903746_portmanx-large.jpg

www.fashionologie.com

I'm loving this thread. I've added so much to my netflix queue! I can't resist posting some of my faves.
Jean de Florette/Manon of the Spring (from the film's facebook page)

Jeux d'Enfants (Love Me If You Dare)
(from marion-media.org)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DangerClose
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"