Muse #24 Fall 2010 : Anja Rubik by Sundsbo, Zhang Ziyi by Yu Tsai, Eniko by Davidson

The second cover

I have to say that I'm not sure about the image, I think Ziyi is beautiful, but the way the hair blends into the logo isn't really to my linking, plus the lifting the skirt thing is a little strange, no?

112fjme.jpg

Image Credit | Models.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the cover! ^_^
And i don't get what the problem is if that's not a chinese girl on the cover... i can easily remember the cover with "made in usa", and magdalena was the covergirl...
But it is not as if people did not comment on that Magdalena's cover (and also Natasha's Vogue Nippon / American Beauty cover).

^I actually feel like the cover would be even more insulting if there were actually more Chinese models in the issue :ninja:

I see what you mean. Either way, it was just kind of a lose-lose situation in my opinion.:lol:

and I don't like Ziyi's cover. the pose and the hair are both just awkward and her expression is a bit sleepy. Hopefully the contents are good...

Oh great, this one is even more tasteless.:doh:

^I actually feel like the cover would be even more insulting if there were actually more Chinese models in the issue :ninja:

Don't worry, I kind of have the same sentiments.
I prefer Anja's cover to Liu's, which gives more character. Liu's seems disappointing, no? Ugh, and isn't that shot of Anja smoking absolutely stunning?:heart:

Anja's cover is really great. I don't even care that she's not Chinese.
Zhang Ziyi's cover is nice, but not as "shocking" as Anja's.
The editorials inside look amazing too, so this could possibly be my first issue of Muse. :heart:

Don't worry, I kind of have the same sentiments.
I prefer Anja's cover to Liu's, which gives more character. Liu's seems disappointing, no? Ugh, and isn't that shot of Anja smoking absolutely stunning?:heart:
That's not Liu but Ziyi Zhang, the actress.

I think Ziyi's cover is really bad, she looks lifeless.:ninja:

May I ask who is the fashion director of this trashy magazine now?

:ninja:

Because "Made in USA" does not imply a Caucasian person-- that's a very open-ended term used to describe anything, and Americans are not all Caucasian. Whereas "China Girl" implies specifically Chinese female, and I don't think Anja is Chinese...

Magdalena is Caucasian, but that's not even the issue. Magdalena is Russian and of course, "made" in Russia. "Made in the USA" isn't open ended...the subject should be from the USA. I don't think it's a problem though, as long as the message is conveyed through the content and beauty of the story - and so far there is not a problem for me. I do not understand why so many people are freaking out about this cover.

Magdalena is Caucasian, but that's not even the issue. Magdalena is Russian and of course, "made" in Russia. "Made in the USA" isn't open ended...the subject should be from the USA. I don't think it's a problem though, as long as the message is conveyed through the content and beauty of the story - and so far there is not a problem for me. I do not understand why so many people are freaking out about this cover.
Magdalena as in Magdalena Frackowiak? Because she's from Poland and is Polish, and Poland and Russia are not the same thing.
But I do agree that an American should be on the cover if the tag line is Made in the America, or at least someone from N.America or S.America. If not someone from the states lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the cover! ^_^
And i don't get what the problem is if that's not a chinese girl on the cover... i can easily remember the cover with "made in usa", and magdalena was the covergirl...

That is not the same thing at all. Made in America doesn't imply race, as the US is not racially and culturally homogeneous like China (and as I type this, I know this is a fallacy as there are plenty of marginalized minority communities in China, such as the Uighurs, but they are still not white like Anja). Most people looking at a cover with Magdalena on it will not know anything about her and will not know she isn't American. Here, it is obvious that Anja is a white woman who is being made up to look Asian. The extreme cat eye makeup is the same that Karl Lagerfeld used on Freja and Baptiste when they played Chinese workers in his film :rolleyes:. Combined with the headline of "China Girl", we are meant to see her as Chinese.

Further, minority models are constantly passed aside in favor of white models. White women appear on the cover of magazines, in advertisements, and on the runways far more than women of color. So not only is she taking a job from a Chinese model, but she is appearing as a parody of that ethnic group.

I don't like Zhang Ziyi's cover - it looks like the "u" and "s" are coming out of her ears. Too distracting.

Preview of Ashley Smith story
Photography: Terry Tsiolis & Fashion by Zoe James
47312308.jpg

47202225.jpg

[muse@facebook]

Preview of Eniko Mihalik story
Photography: Will Davidson & Fashion by Joanna Schlenzka
85706993.jpg

47207001.jpg

[muse@facebook]

scanned by me

Quick review:
Kirsi Pyrhonen by Samuli Karala

Far From Heaven
Rasa by Ben Toms

The widow
Alla by Fabio Raineri

Opium Flirt
Anja Rubik by Solve Sundsbo

jalouse
Ashley Smith by Terry Tsiolis

Dynasty
Liu Wen by Sebastian Kim

7th september
Eniko Mihalik by Will Davidson

coral
Barbara Palvin by Liz Collins

Interviews and portraits : Zhang Huan, Terence Koh, Pearl Lam, Zhang Ziyi , John Woo, Lucy Liu, Phillip Lim.

^ This cover is so beautiful but it's not surprise since it's Eniko.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanEscher
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->