Natalie Portman: engaged & had a baby boy!

^^ I thought Aleph was a hebrew word?
Is A only an English letter? :wink: It just means A, like it does in Arabic and Farsi too. So it's not particularly Hebrew. It's pretty international really.

It's like calling your kid Alpha :rofl:

^Aww. Well Natalie looks good from what I can see.
All the celebs who have had babies recently have done a great job of avoiding the paparazzi.

I think it's great she's a mum and I hope she and the baby are well. I'm a little hung up on the name, kinda wish that she'd gone for a more Hebrew name not the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet! It's the English equivalent of naming your kid, "A." And plus their are so many beautiful Hebrew names to choose from I'm sure they could have found something else. But I suppose as long as she and her fiance are happy then it's all good. I wonder where they'll raise the baby; New York, LA, France, Israel? They've got loads of choices!

Last edited by a moderator:
Aleph is also the name of a book of Paulo Coelho, one of her favorite authors so I guess that was probably a factor too. And I'm pretty sure she'll stay in the US for now.

Yes, as long as her fiancé is part of the New York City Ballet, that's where they'll stay.

I like it. She looks lovely strolling on the beach. Sweet quiet times.

I think it's great she's a mum and I hope she and the baby are well. I'm a little hung up on the name, kinda wish that she'd gone for a more Hebrew name not the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet! It's the English equivalent of naming your kid, "A." And plus their are so many beautiful Hebrew names to choose from I'm sure they could have found something else. But I suppose as long as she and her fiance are happy then it's all good. I wonder where they'll raise the baby; New York, LA, France, Israel? They've got loads of choices!
I can certainly understand why they didn't go all-out Hebrew :smile:lol:smile: because as you said...NYC, LA or France? Most likely all of them :P Plus the dad usually has something to say too.

^True... although I do remember Natalie saying at one point earlier in her career she'd love to raise her children in Israel. However that wouldn't be the best option if she wanted to still have a career because not too many films are made in the area so she'd have to always be on location. But I bet that baby will be bilingual- English, Hebrew, French!

It's gonna be one awesome baby. :lol:

But yeah, it's hard to see how she's gonna do that...

the letter/sound 'a/ah' in many of the oldest middle eastern/greek languages is the word for god. allah/alpha etc. it was basically the first human sound we made so we used it to describe god/what we didnt understand so we put down to 'god'. there were lots of hebrew gods back when they were writing the hebrew alphabet as we know it now. yahweh or 'god' was a particular god of something, storms or lightning or something i dont recall but it morphed into that from something basically beginning with 'ah-'.
so the name isnt boring, basically. its not about faith as such, its an exclamation the same way we say 'god' or 'ah!' when surprised/in awe. its the first sound we developed to represent many things in language ie 'ah?'- the unexplained and 'ah!' the unexplained so call it god and have done with it.
so its a very hebrew name, its more than a letter. i dont know if you mean you want it to be a more hebrew name or more jewish. it was the name given to a god, not the god until they moved to monotheism much later and decided to make that god the main one, same with most pagan peoples of that time and place.

^True... although I do remember Natalie saying at one point earlier in her career she'd love to raise her children in Israel. However that wouldn't be the best option if she wanted to still have a career because not too many films are made in the area so she'd have to always be on location. But I bet that baby will be bilingual- English, Hebrew, French!

Actually, israeli's cinema is one of the most interesting out there and she already stared in a movie by Amos Gitai, so she could totally work there. Sure, israeli's movies pay less and she's mostly a hollywood actress.

Just wanted to point out this cause I love movies by amos Gitai, Keren Yedaya and Ronit Elkabetz :flower:

Actually, israeli's cinema is one of the most interesting out there and she already stared in a movie by Amos Gitai, so she could totally work there. Sure, israeli's movies pay less and she's mostly a hollywood actress.

Just wanted to point out this cause I love movies by amos Gitai, Keren Yedaya and Ronit Elkabetz :flower:

Oh awesome! I knew Israel had a film industry but I've never really had the chance to watch any. Will certainly have to check it out now.
And I think part of the reason why people were taken aback with the name choice is because they wanted it to be more Jewish sounding. Which I suppose is a bit understandable, Natalie is probably one of the most recognizable Jews in the industry for her age, so I think people thought she'd pick a very Jewish name. But whatever, if she's happy then I'm happy.

Ohh soo cute :wub: Thanks melfreya !

0,,56502393,00.jpg

revistaquem.globo.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alixB
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->