New York City : Vintage shops

sarah13

Reaction score
I don't think there is a thread for this yet, but what are your favorite vintage shops in the Manhattan/New York area, and what type of clothes do they carry?

Any thoughts?

just letting you know i've moved this to our wonderful shop by city forum.

:smile:

the 42 street salvation army is hipster land, but in soho there is Edith and Daha which has a lot of 60's 70's and 80's shoes. The floor is covered with boots and heels...and a good amount of flats. The clothes collection is hit or miss, and it's not "cheap" it's on the inexpensive expensive side. And also there is Marmalade which is in that area...the Rivington street has some good places like these two (which are around the famous Katz Deli). Plus if you need more places you can look at the Nymetro web site, or the Village Voice web site, they profile a lot of these places...
good luck!

(great thread idea btw)
:flower:

I'm going to NYC on Monday and staying near little Italy. What is near there that i should see?

INA NOLITA is a consignment shop just north of Little Italy (hence NoLita:smile:

They are still a little pricey for vintage/consignment but fun none the less.

They are at 21 Prince Street

I posted this recently in the NYC shopping forum.

Vintage: So many places have things that are “too old” or “too new” if you know what I mean? I usually just go to thrift shops when I am in the mood to hunt.

* Screaming Mimi’s – Definitly an awesome store with a great number of costumey pieces. Wonderful selection of things - if you want individual vintage items to piece with the rest of your outfit - however too much Mimi's will make you look way too retro. Prices are high - but worth it if you find the right item. The staff is very friendly – most double as DJs + promoters for hipster clubs. Lafayette St. between Bond St. and Great Jones. 212-677-6464. www.screamingmimis.com.

* Metropolis – Great selection of cheap vintage. LOTS of great men’s boots/shoes around $50. They have a ton of nice furs in good condition. The prices are not bad at all -> a nice in between thrift and vintage. A lot of tacky new t-shirts as well – ignore them though and go for the good stuff. 3rd Ave. between 9th and 10th St. 212-358-0795.

* Rags-a-go-go – Hole-in-the-wall store with a great, cheap selection of vests, jackets, cowboy boots, t-shirts, etc. Everything is priced on the wall by what type of item (ex. T-shirts = $4, hats =$6). A lot of great stuff – but a lot of crap – get ready to search. 14th St. between 7th and 8th Ave. 646-486-4011.

* Love Saves the Day – This more like a museum of antique toys, clothing, Playboys, other magazines, jewelry, etc. Pictures are NOT allowed =). Prices are not bad – but not necessarily a bargain. 2nd Ave. @ 7th St. 212-228-3802.

and dis

Consignment: Almost all my favorite articles come from resale stores. The ones with the best selection are usually the most expensive – but it depends.

* Fisch for the Hip – Of all NYC consignment stores – this has by for the best selection. However – the payoff is the absolutely insane prices for already-worn clothing – sometimes going above the original retail value (I recently saw a LV / Stephen Sprouse wallet for over $1000). There are some great finds – many stylists drop current things off right after a photo shoot. I’ve even found a few shirts from Hedi Slimane’s YSL collection for around $100. The staff is very sweet – unless you count the owner – who has major attitude (when she is in the store - its like the first scene of Devil Wears Prada when Meryl first arrives). Her dogs run amuck too – which adds a little something extra =). 18th St. between 6th and 7th Ave. 212-633-9053. www.fischforthehip.com

* Tokyo 7 – the complete opposite of Fisch – this Japanese-run outlet lacks a hand-picked feel. Nevertheless – I hardly ever walk out empty handed – as the prices are very low and the items can be awesome. 7th St. between 1st and 2nd Ave. 212-353-8443.

* INA – With a few locations downtown (and apparently one now Uptown) – INA’s prices fall in between Tokyo 7 and Fisch. The items can vary - both based on which store you go to – and by how expensive (Polo/Kenneth Cole -→ Chanel, Marc Jacobs). The men’s store on Mott St. has a large selection of suits/jackets. Men’s: Mott St. between Houston and Prince St. 212-249-0014. Women’s A: Thomson St. between Prince St. and Spring St. 212-941-4757. Women’s B: Prince St. between Mott St. and Elizabeth St. 212- 334-9048. Men’s and Women’s: Bleecker St. between Lafayette St. and Bowery. 212-228-8511. www.inanyc.com.

Cheap Jack's (right next to Korea town) around 6th and 32nd (I think) is wonderful! It has a humongous collection of vintage. It's kind of an adventure just looking through the store.

Thanks for the info. I'll def. check that out when I'm there in June.

never done vintage before
but i'll check out some stores this weekend
as i gots nothing to do on sat.

i <3 ina's one of my stores i always browse though hard to find a good deal is the salvation army on 8th st

I agree INA is great but their prices :doh:. Sometimes you can get the same (or pretty similar) stuff for less during sales.

yeah i usually go there when there's something a lil more specific i'm looking for and wouldn't mind paying the price for finding lol

I agree INA is great but their prices :doh:. Sometimes you can get the same (or pretty similar) stuff for less during sales.

Totally agreed. But much better than Fisch ("um... its used and didn't even retail for that much" hip).

Ina is the best in-between consignment in NY

You are def. right. I almost fainted when I saw the price tags at Fisch. It seems even more when you keep in mind that the clothes have in fact been worn and are not all current season.

so i'm trying to get rid of some of the clothing i no longer wear
any advice.

i don' want to trade my worn clothes for other worn clothes,
i want money...

i went to a couple of places but they only take women's clothing, hum, what.

can anybody recommend a place where i can sell my gently used, designer/and non designer, clothing for a decent amount of cash.

thank you very much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arielmarison
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->