What Causes You To Buy Vintage?

clothes from yander years were made better and were not as mass produced so the chances of seeing someone with the same outfit is next to non. It has charecter and it feels like each item has a story behind it. It makes you wonder what the lady who first wore these cltohes was like. If she loved it then it is like her love for the item is beign passed on to you.

Becky 15, england

cheaper prices for better quality
better fitting cuts for me
more interesting fabrics (seriously, I am so over every print I see in stores)
i love the hunt
the feel. i loove the feel of something much older than me...
the connection to something from the past

TheSoCalledPrep said:
Newer replicas of vintage styles never have the same feel about them. Vintage clothes have a flair that can't quite be replicated.

Above that, when buying vintage and thrift, you never know what you'll find, and once you find it.. no one else will own the same piece!!

It gives your look an originality and a feel that makes people look twice.

Cassie - 14 - Pennsylvania, USA

Exactly what tou said SoCalledPrep :flower:
Plus, it gives me much more satisfaction to buy something cheaper and that is a find, than something that is made in all sizes and that anybody can own and find just by going to some shop. And besides, vintage pieces are not traceable in the sense that if you see it a certain piece in someone and you love it, you have no idea where that person got it.
:wink:

I purchase vintage clothing because the pieces are different. I won't see them everywhere. And I can personalize and make the look my own. It's fun to shop for vintage pieces too....like a treasure hunt. :smile:

to own a unique piece - something only associated w/ me today. That's my main motivation (with the lower price being a huge enticement :wink:)

Some of my favorite items of clothing are older vintage items. You can't beat the price and you never have to worry about showing up looking similar to someone else. It's a win-win situation in my book :heart: :heart:

29 - Virginia in the US

ooh, great topic and it sounds like an interesting article. :flower:

reasons I buy vintage:

I love the idea of wearing clothes with a history - clothes that evoke the way things looked 20, 30, 40 years ago and so on. I like old things! I love having something that no one else will own - it's completely one-off. the prices are also attractive - I can buy so many more clothes if I by them second-hand and vintage, which allows me to experiment more with my look. I love the fabrics, because they tend to be better quality, and the prints are far more interesting and beautiful than anything you can buy today. I also like the way vintage clothes fit. I'm quite small and have a very defined waistline, and vintage clothes often just fit better because they're usually better tailored and structured. I also like the idea of recycling clothes. I've said this before in a different thread, but I think, like plastic and paper and glass, clothes should be recycled if there is any life left in them to be had - whether we are simply re-wearing a vintage dress, or deconstructing a second hand t-shirt.

Last edited by a moderator:
I originally bought vintage because I could afford it, and it was most unique. I was a "unique outcast" sort of person in high school. Every year since I was 14 I have worn a beautiful 1920's or 1930's dress on my birthday, halloween! I find the 1920's dresses to be so insanely ornate. I love details such as gold lace, silk velvet, beading, sequince, net tulle, ribbon decorations, lace, the list goes on!!

Years ago before people were wearing silk camisole tops, I wore 1930's PJ tops with jeans. I loved the femininity of the tops with all that lace. I still have a bunch, but have added to that with modern redesigns from designers such as Rebecca Taylor. With these, new tops do last longer. Old silk falls apart very easily.

I love vintage shoes now. They are so decorative. I can find perfect shoes for $10-30 on ebay just like new. If I found the same thing designer it would be $500. Now, I don't know about other people, but I can only afford so many $500 pairs of shoes. It ends up for the better anyways. My shoes are more unique, and I don't feel as weird to tip toe around them, actually not worrying about wearing them out.

Vintage 50's sweaters are great. You can always find one to match everything.

I have lots of very beautiful dresses I just can not give up from the 1920's-60's. I only keep what I wear, so it is a really nicely picked out collection that I am very proud of!

I even had a 1920's wedding!
FavoritePhoto.jpg

I dont like vintage.
I get frustrated fast looking thru the racks and I dont like to rumage thru the piles.
Most of the stuff I see is stained and smelly.
And then there are the stores that claim to be Vintage and not second-hand stuff: The prices are outrages! I could go to Nordies right now and get something *new* and *cheaper* or same price as this...
Vintage is not for me...

Plastic'sWife said:
I dont like vintage.
I get frustrated fast looking thru the racks and I dont like to rumage thru the piles.
Most of the stuff I see is stained and smelly.
And then there are the stores that claim to be Vintage and not second-hand stuff: The prices are outrages! I could go to Nordies right now and get something *new* and *cheaper* or same price as this...
Vintage is not for me...

I think it takes practice to learn that is out there, then you can do a few quick ebay searches and find amazing things!

Opinions on vintage style

Hi everyone. This is my first post on this forum. I am not sure if I am posting this thread in the right forum but if this were be not the right place, moderators please help me to move it. ^_^

I am not sure how I should start and it seems that most people here are females. I was expecting a place with a little more on men's fashion. but anyway, I am here asking for some opinions. I personally liked vintage style or some rock and roll type very much. But I somewhat feels that it may not suit me. It is sure that vintage style would look nice on guys who are six foot tall with broad shoulders with just few exceptions. I am little unfortunate. I am only five foot four and my shoulders are quite narrow. I am wondering how would you feel when a guy, who probably look close like a kid(lol), wearing in such a manner.

I just feel funny when I wear it this way. To me, vintage seems to need broad shoulders and nice chest muscles. Otherwise it looks so weird. It is as if the shirt is hanging on my shoulders like it hangs on any shirt hanger. And this makes me feel even more like a kid. hahaha.

Anyway, hope to get some opinions/views and suggestions from you people here. It seems that man who are short with narrow shoulders(to me at least) don't suit many styles... :blush:
Thanks! :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
....trust me...when shopping for vintage you do not want to be 6' tall...or have large chest muscles. I am 6'1...and although I think i wear vintage nicely, it is a pain to find anything that is long enough for my torso. Everything is either too short in the waist, the sleeves, or both. I do not have chest muscles, and I don't think they are necessary to pull off the vintage look...if anything I think they would hinder it's appeal. I think slimmer men look better in vintage.
Since you are shorter...I would go to a tailor and have them shorten and take in pieces for which it is required.

i think for me, it's therapeutic. i enjoy scouring through the racks, no telling what you'll find. it's really hit or miss, dependent on how patient you are and when you happen to go. the perfect shirt could be sitting in someone else's closet, unappreciated, because you didnt look in the last aisle. i dont like vintage resale stores, i consider that cheating. they just do the work for you and jack up the price several hundred percent. the unique factor is another plus. you take bits and pieces of other people's discarded wardrobes and assimilate them into your own sartorial collective. fake vintage (ie. american eagle), on the other hand, that just makes me sick. it comprimises real vintage. i know it's not for everyone, but it's certainly for me.

jay, 23
denton, texas

I like buying vintage because I can find cheap unique pieces, sometimes designer that I wouldn't otherwise be able to find or afford. Plus finding a gem makes me euphorically happy! 19, Canada

lylac - is your article published yet? in which mag/media? would love to read it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hosewearer
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->