New York Job Recruitment Agencies - Fashion

BEST OF LUCK criticsdarling! i can't imagine how scary it must be to take such a huge step but i'm sure you can do it, good luck! let me know how it goes! i really want to work in a big fashion city like NYC because where i come from (vancouver canada) the fashion industry is NONEXISTENT. i'm sure they like to think that there is a great fashion scene but there really isn't. the crap thing for me is, if i want to work in the states then i have to go through all the working visa crap, etc etc....so i really really envy you because you're able to up and move to NYC without having to do all that sh*t!

SamanthaB, your stories really inspired me as well. did you make all your initial income purely through freelancing when you first moved to NYC? what kind of freelancing? the reason i ask is because i wouldn't mind doing freelance if i move to NYC... are fashion designers with overseas (asian) experience highly sought after in NYC? i'ved worked in asia (back and forth between taiwan and china, sometimes travelling to tokyo and hongkong) for almost a year now...this sort of thing would help right?
any advice anyone could give me would be awesome :smile:

Freelancing helped me through the first three months, and then I found a full time job. Since I had no experience, I freelanced as a fashion generalist, short term projects (about a week at each), nothing too involved but I got to see what companies were like and saw what each job entailed. I work in tech design, so I don't have perspective on what skills are critical to design work. However, since you've been to the factories and seen it from the overseas perspective, that would have to be an advantage, as you'd be familiar with the source of so much manufacturing. Plus, if you speak any Asian language, you're at an advantage (especially if you have any interest in technical design) because your communication ability would be invaluable.

Oh, I just thought of another website, linkedin.com It's a business networking site (for any industry) and you connect with people you know (usually it's people you've worked with or went to school with, but you can connect with friends, too). You can see your connections connections and their connections too (kind of like six-degrees-of-separation, but for business).

thanks samanthaB! i really appreciate your advice. another question: what exactly does technical design entail?
thanks for all the websites as well :smile:

To discuss or find out more about technical design, here's the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julovw
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->