Nicolas Andreas Taralis S/S 07 Paris

brian

Reaction score
PARIS, October 6, 2006 – Nicolas Andreas Taralis is one of those designers—there have been a few this season—who make you think, all over again, of the huge void left by Helmut Lang. The Taralis synthesis of sharp tailoring and urban streetwear is fully in the Lang tradition (he studied under him in Austria), and he's one of the very few who is carrying it through with a genuine sense of purpose, rather than quoting from the nineties because it seems trendy right now.

"Chic, but tough. Something between elegance and hard-core sporty. There's too much nostalgia in fashion now." With these words, he joined the season's rising debate around the need for contemporary modernism. Still, you can't emulate Lang without first knowing how to cut a sharp black jacket, neat chesterfield coat, and a great pair of pants. Taralis had all that in his sharky-cool lacquered-cotton mess jacket, narrow coat with leather inserts, and his hybrid motocross biker jeans. The new aspect for him was the introduction of sport elements: optic-white perforated cotton, leather, and performance mesh worked into tailored shirts; cross-strap tabard T-shirts, bombers, and parkas. He also shifted his liking for metallics into a lean techno-tissue pantsuit and a poncho in silver. With the addition of Velcro-tabbed leather sneakers—which Taralis calls "futuristic Converse"—this below-the-radar collection represents a blip of hope for the lost legions who are still wearing out the last dependable threads of their vintage Lang.

– Sarah Mower

00010m.jpg
00020m.jpg

00030m.jpg
00040m.jpg

all photos style.com

to me this collection represents the ss07 trends : feminine/masculine, grey & black & white, metallic and there's sthg futurist in the shoes.
but i'm a bit disappointed...I don't know why.
it looks very 2000 (I mean when Tom Ford and Hedi took reign @ YSL) and a bit of Helmut Lang (I miss you sooo much!)
I don't like the trousers (if you are a kg "en trop", these will make you look fater than you are!!! lol)
but I loooove the biker-trenchy-grey metallic-kway coat (1st look in post #5) and the first black jacket looks AMAZING!!

great, maybe Nicolas' most 'mature' try to date :heart:

i want to hear what Trico* will report on this when he gets back from Paris :ninja:

Last edited by a moderator:
i feel like i should be seeing tasha tilberg and stella tennant here....
very tough.....
they would have kicked butt.....:P

i like the 2nd look in post #1....

This collection looks like 90s Calvin Klein gone a bit wrong. I don't know why I don't like this...I like the colours, but this looks like sportswear. I'd be happily jogging in these, but as every day clothes I wouldn't wear them.

Biker chic crashes into sportswear...I like a couple individual pieces, but not a big fan as a whole.

Most of what he did would translate brilliantly in menswear this time (and most definitely will once he starts designing for Cerruti) - The leather jackets in particular were very strong, and the sneakers are probably selling out in the more streetwear-oriented fashion boutiques with an edgy, urban clientele that are known to pay hefty pricetags at labels such as Undercover or Number Nine.

It's probably hard, though, to rely fully on the younger folks. A couple more 'adult', 'basic' clothes (both terms are probably becoming the un-word of the season) wouldn't have hurt in between the very worked-out pieces - the woman that needs a sharp pants suit to go to work probably doesn't want any additional straps on her jacket or pants. She will be happy though to find a couple of not-so-basic-but-office-friendly shirts with double collar or a lean one button blazer in shantung silk or laquered twill in his offering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duckyjeanjo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->