• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Nicolas Ghesquière - Designer, Creative Director of Louis Vuitton

I really love what Anderson is doing at Loewe. The brand has becoming its own identity and with the heritage and scale, he is able to play around and create the image of what he has imagine.

Louis Vuitton is on a different scale. The fact that many stars wear Vuitton is also because of Ghesquiere who is one of the most celebrated designers. Anderson is the industry darling but I think it would be quite a challenge for him to attract high profile celebrities.

While his RTW isn't as I would have wished it would be, I have enjoy the new runway bags and logos. I also love how LV is now associate with something younger, more cutting age and it sort of pull away those 'trashy luxe' kind of way. Ghesquiere's design isn't for anyone but he knows what he's doing and he's capable of doing so.

I've been kind of surprised how un-great his work at Vuitton has been in terms of the RTW. When celebrities like Catherine Deneuve wear it, they end up looking like fashion victims. There are certainly designers who would never send someone out looking like crap ... He seems like he's been phoning it in at LV.

I will say that Anderson seems to be good with leather ... and it's somewhat hard to imagine he wouldn't do at least as well as what's happening now.

But I agree about Loewe ... why not give him a chance to make it important? It has some buzz, but that could immediately die the second his foot hits the threshold.

This is a strange move, if true. LV accessories under Ghesquiere are trendy again and I don't recall a time when anyone ever really cared about RTW LV (and it is hard to get in stores, at least when I've been in NYC).It must be a rumour :huh:. (Or not. I don't understand what's going on with the musical chair these days so.)

some of nicolas" work at LV is still risky/ obviously commercial unviable, so i am not sure if indeed the business people at LV are indeed to be blamed for him not having any creative freedom, esp IF they indeed dont sell well? Or the designer himself?

Personally, i like what he is doing at LV, i never liked what Marc Jacobs did at LV, the accessories are fine, since they created hype and desire for them, but the clothes were really gross to me.

hopefully, Nicolas will stay. LV has all the resources any designer will want and he does seem happy there then say, his last few years at Balenciaga, sometimes it takes a while to hone one"s skills, and the access to top class resources and expertise certainly help.

If he doesn't go by himself than he will stay until 2018 IMO

Source : Businessoffashion.com

Update: Louis Vuitton Denies Report of Nicolas Ghesquière's Impending Exit

LVMH is considering a change of creative director at Louis Vuitton, with Jonathan Anderson seen as the front-runner to replace Nicolas Ghesquière, according to Reuters. Louis Vuitton has categorically denied the rumour and clarified that Ghesquière's contract expires in November 2018.

UPDATE: Speaking to BoF, a spokesperson for Louis Vuitton has categorically denied the Reuters report that Vuitton is considering a change of creative director, and has clarified that Ghesquière's five year contract expires in November 2018.

PARIS, France — LVMH boss Bernard Arnault is considering a change of creative director at Louis Vuitton with the up-and-coming Jonathan Anderson, now at sister brand Loewe, viewed as the best candidate to replace Nicolas Ghesquière, according to three sources with knowledge of the matter.

The timing and the terms under which the reshuffle would happen have not yet been determined, the sources said. However, they added the matter was being actively discussed at LVMH.

LVMH declined to comment.

Louis Vuitton is the world's biggest luxury brand, generating nearly 8 billion euros ($8.8 billion) in annual revenue and accounts for the bulk of profit at parent LVMH, owner of 70 luxury brands and businesses, ranging from fashion and wine to jewelelry and hotels.

"People in the studio are expecting him (Ghesquière) to leave, possibly as early as after the October collection," one of the sources said.

Ghesquière, 45, told French TV channel Canal Plus in early June that we wished to create his own label and would be in a position to do it very soon but he did not provide details.

Designers at big brands including Louis Vuitton, Balenciaga and Hermes — Marc Jacobs, Alexander Wang and Christophe Lemaire, respectively — have left in recent years to develop their own labels.

Arnault 'adores' Anderson

The sources said Arnault and his daughter Delphine, No.2 at Louis Vuitton, were big fans of 32-year-old Anderson, known for his playful designs and contemporary art inspiration.

They said executives at LVMH believed Louis Vuitton would give him a bigger platform to express his talent. LVMH recruited the prize-winning Northern Irish designer in 2013 after taking a minority stake in his brand J.W. Anderson.

"Arnault is very fond of Anderson, everybody knows he adores him," a second source said. "As of now, he is the best positioned to replace Ghesquière."

The luxury goods industry downturn has prompted a series of high-profile management and designer reshuffles, aimed at giving brands a creative and strategy reboot to perk up their sales.

Burberry last week poached Celine's boss Marco Gobbetti to be its new chief executive, becoming the latest major luxury label to announce leadership changes after Dior, Chanel, Cartier, Balenciaga, Yves Saint Laurent and Lanvin.

Ghesquière worked at Balenciaga before joining Louis Vuitton. By October, he will have been at the French label for three years.

Three years has become the standard length of time for designers to stay at a fashion label, though there it no set formula as some have worked at brands for more than a decade.

It is possible that Ghesquière may not leave Louis Vuitton until next year as his departure is likely to be a lengthy, complex and delicate matter to negotiate and plan internally, the sources said. "It is a sensitive issue which could take time to solve," a third source said.

Ghesquière's razor-sharp modern style has played out well at Louis Vuitton's core leather goods business for which he created a popular new range of handbags and the "V" logo.

However, his experimental, warrior-style silhouettes in ready-to-wear has not yet lived up to commercial expectations, several sources said.

LVMH, due to publish half-year results on July 26, does not disclose separate sales figures for any of its brands.

The prices are to high... the bags are ok it is LV but rtw...

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a strange move, if true. LV accessories under Ghesquiere are trendy again and I don't recall a time when anyone ever really cared about RTW LV (and it is hard to get in stores, at least when I've been in NYC).It must be a rumour :huh:. (Or not. I don't understand what's going on with the musical chair these days so.)

Yes, the LV bags and accessories are in trend but i think it more about statment, logo ect.
R-t-W by Nicolas is not bad, some pieces are awesome but the Prices are too expensive. His Cruise 2017 was horrible , right, there were any good Piece but rtw ss16 and rtw fw16-17 are not so bad.

If they remove Anderson from Loewe then I think I'll cry because I absolutely love his work for the brand. I think it'll also be an incredibly stupid choice because he excels there, doing wonders with his strong and unique vision.

Take anyone but him!!!

I also don't think Nicolas has been doing a bad job at all at LV. If anything, he's pushed the brand forward by making it more relevant, especially to the younger generation. Kim Jones on the other hand....

Yes, the LV bags and accessories are in trend but i think it more about statment, logo ect.
R-t-W by Nicolas is not bad, some pieces are awesome but the Prices are too expensive. His Cruise 2017 was horrible , right, there were any good Piece but rtw ss16 and rtw fw16-17 are not so bad.

But Vuitton was as expensive with MJ. I think that in terms of RTW and bags, Vuitton is overall better today.
It feels like a fashion brand whereas with MJ, it felt like a bag company doing fashion.

MJ bags were really about a fashion statement. His bags weren't the type to carry at work for example.
His clothes were good but once again, it was much more a "special event" affair.
I remember, SS & FW 2013 were a disaster to wear. So difficult to pull off. The shoulders of SS 2013 were so cartoonish-looking.

Resort 2017 wasn't great but in the shops, you still have the perfect A-line dress that women likes.
Anyway, the Vuitton RTW customers have the money of their ambition and they will buy anyway. Nicolas is the most influencial designer of those last 16 years and as we all know, Vuitton is about Status!

But Vuitton was as expensive with MJ. I think that in terms of RTW and bags, Vuitton is overall better today.
It feels like a fashion brand whereas with MJ, it felt like a bag company doing fashion.

MJ bags were really about a fashion statement. His bags weren't the type to carry at work for example.
His clothes were good but once again, it was much more a "special event" affair.
I remember, SS & FW 2013 were a disaster to wear. So difficult to pull off. The shoulders of SS 2013 were so cartoonish-looking.

Resort 2017 wasn't great but in the shops, you still have the perfect A-line dress that women likes.
Anyway, the Vuitton RTW customers have the money of their ambition and they will buy anyway. Nicolas is the most influencial designer of those last 16 years and as we all know, Vuitton is about Status![/QUOTE]

Agree 100%.
The whole thing looks like a bag brand makes clothes and shoes .

That's how I always saw LV, tbh. Like a Hermès except H had better clothes (for boring ppl like me :blush:). At least it used to, under JPG and Lemaire...sigh.

Keeping Ghesquiere makes more sense to me from LV's perspective. I'm glad they put paid to that rumour.

While I think his work at Vuitton is killer, it won't move me if he announces to leave anytime soon even with that contract claim. He clearly has something in mind and is eager to go for it. A possible business partner is waiting to take action I think.

While I think his work at Vuitton is killer, it won't move me if he announces to leave anytime soon even with that contract claim. He clearly has something in mind and is eager to go for it. A possible business partner is waiting to take action I think.

Yes, i have same feeling. If LV let him go before his contract expires, i mean there is surely some terms in his contract. ( but in this case they would like to let him go ,IMO, if they so "in love" with Anderson )

Nicolas has (unfortunately) renewed his contract with Vuitton.

^
Haha darn you beat me to it!

Yeah, he posted an rather egotistical 3-part Instagram story with Kelis’s “copycat” playing in the background *eye rolls*

Maybe we’ll see a well curated collection from him one day..

^even if i love his past and current work, i can't stand how he is so full of himself. And i feel like he started to be like that once he arrived at LV or i was not paying attention at all ?

^
Haha darn you beat me to it!

Yeah, he posted an rather egotistical 3-part Instagram story with Kelis’s “copycat” playing in the background *eye rolls*

Maybe we’ll see a well curated collection from him one day..

who's looking at ghesquiere's vuitton for inspiration these days? he needs to come out of his bubble
:rolleyes:

Maybe he was always like that, but Instagram allowed everyone to see

^^
He has always been like that but working at Vuitton gave him more confidence (he is also older) and a freedom in mind (and life) he didn’t have at Balenciaga.
He might have the best time of his life right now.

5 more years at Vuitton. Good for MAS and all his team but I just want to cry for Jennifer Connelly and all the others women.

I love Nicolas but really their way to handle their ambassadeurs is too agressive.
I guess this will shut the mouse of those who are speculating about the fact that his Vuitton doesn’t sell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luciagatti
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->