Alessandro Michele - Designer, Creative Director of Valentino

poison84

Reaction score
MILAN — Gucci and parent company Kering on Wednesday appointed Alessandro Michele creative director of the Italian luxury brand, succeeding Frida Giannini. This confirms a WWD report on Tuesday. Michele’s first collection in his new role will bow for the women’s fall/winter 2015/16 season in Milan on Feb. 25. WWD was the first to report on Jan. 10 that Michele was likely to take over Giannini’s role. “After a considered and thorough selection process, Alessandro Michele has been chosen to assume the role as Gucci creative director, based upon the contemporary vision he has articulated for the brand that he will now bring to life,” said Marco Bizzarri, president and chief executive officer of Gucci. “Alessandro and I are fully aligned on this new contemporary vision needed by the brand and we will be continuously inspired by that new identity in our respective roles and duties.”

Michele, 42, studied at Accademia di Costume e di Moda in Rome and cut his teeth at Fendi as senior accessories designer, working with Giannini. He joined Gucci’s design team in 2002 and was promoted associate to Giannini in May 2011. Last September, he was also named creative director of fine porcelain brand Richard Ginori, acquired by Gucci in June 2013. Michele, who is said to be passionate about antiquities and interiors, helped to create the brand’s new store concept in Florence that was unveiled in June.

Bizzarri underscored Michele’s “talent and his knowledge of the company and the design teams in place will for sure allow him to move quickly and seamlessly in implementing his new creative direction for the collections and the brand."

The executive, previously head of Kering’s luxury couture and leather goods division, joined Gucci on January 1, succeeding Patrizio di Marco. Bizzarri said the men’s fall collection shown on Jan. 19 “realized thanks to a remarkable collaboration between the men's design and production teams, is a clear indication that the brand is ready to take a new direction.”

Michele, in his first appearance on the runway, took the bow at the Gucci men’s show on Monday afternoon, along with a dozen members of the house’s design team. Under the direction of Michele, the team had been working around the clock to completely redesign the men’s collection, creating ambiguously sexy and romantic looks that included silk chiffon bow blouses and shrunken military jackets — a marked departure from Giannini’s aesthetic. The show was divisive, with some calling it a strong statement of Gucci’s new direction and others questioning its blend of the masculine and feminine. While Giannini and Michele worked together at Fendi earlier in their careers and went on to become a closely-knit duo at Gucci, their fashion aesthetics have diverged in recent years, according to sources.

François-Henri Pinault, chairman and ceo of Kering, said that “Throughout its history, Gucci has always created attention and excitement through its innovative and distinctive products and collections as it has become Italy's most renowned fashion house and one of the most iconic, and prominentluxury brands in the world. Alessandro Michele has both the qualities and the vision necessary to bring a new contemporary perspective to Gucci and lead the brand into an exciting new creative chapter of its history."

Giannini and di Marco revealed in December that they would step down from their roles. The designer, who’d spent nearly a decade at Gucci, was set to step down following the women’s show in February.

As reported first by WWD on Jan. 12, Giannini made a surprise exit from the company earlier this month. It is understood Gucci cut short Giannini’s contract in a bid to facilitate decision-making about the brand’s future creative direction.

The failure of Giannini and di Marco, who are also partners, to turn around the flagging brand precipitated their departure, setting off a guessing game as to who would succeed Giannini and who might be able to get the brand back on a solid growth track.

Michele emerged over a string of designers that sources had identified as Givenchy’s couturier Riccardo Tisci and one of Valentino’s creative duo, Maria Grazia Chiuri, along with Joseph Altuzarra. Kering, controlled by France’s Pinault family, has a track record of promoting inside talents.

Indeed, when Gucci was faced with replacing its tag-team of Tom Ford and Domenico De Sole when they exited in 2004, it promoted a trio of insiders — Alessandra Facchinetti, Giannini and John Ray — to succeed Ford at the design helm, heading women’s ready-to-wear, accessories and men’s wear, respectively.
Giannini ultimately took over as the brand’s sole creative director in 2006, relocating the design studios to her hometown of Rome.

Gucci is trying to reverse sliding sales in China and elsewhere by reinventing itself with fewer logo products. In the third quarter of 2014, Gucci revenues slipped 1.6 percent to 851 million euros, or $1.13 billion, despite positive trends in directly operated stores in North America and Japan, as reported.
gucci.jpg

wwd

He should just stay with his interiors and antiquities. It's going to be a bigger failure than Frida's one, not just because his first collection was pretty bad, it was like a worse version of both Prada and J.W. Anderson and imho it won't sell like hot cakes. And it's all about money now.
Maybe Kering is trying to be like LVMH with its Loewe.

It was only his first collection. Just give it a couple more then we can really start complaining.

The fashion industry isn't always known for promoting from within, but lately, that policy seems to be changing. After rumors swirled about practically every designer under the sun as a candidate, Alessandro Michele, formerly Gucci's head of accessories, has been named to the top post. (He succeeds Frida Giannini, who parted ways with the house a little bit ahead of schedule.) Per Women's Wear Daily, Michele's first official collection for the house will be for the women's fall 2015 show in Milan next month. He has already had a taste of the role's responsibilities, having directed the design team that put together the "Urban Romanticism"–themed men's fall 2015 collection that walked the runway on Monday.

Marco Bizzarri, the company's president and CEO, told the paper, “Alessandro and I are fully aligned on this new contemporary vision needed by the brand and we will be continuously inspired by that new identity in our respective roles and duties.”

Michele has a long history with Gucci. After a stint working with Giannini at Fendi, he joined the company in 2002 as a member of the design team, and was promoted to head of leather goods, shoes, jewelry, and home in 2011. He is also somewhat of a Renaissance man, serving as the head of Gucci-owned porcelain company Richard Ginori.

nymag

Let's see next month as to how the new Gucci woman is going to look like .

^This. If he makes the Gucci woman look as unflattering as he just made the Gucci man, then RIP to Gucci.

Probably like a pasty white girl from a Jane Austen novel who got lost in our Century. I'm almost 100% sure about this.

He put that menswear collection together in ten days, and as much as it had notes of Prada, Burberry, Saint Laurent, whoever, it looked twenty times more current than before.
I'm looking forward to seeing his take on womenswear.. and I'll hold my tongue over my snobbery of accessories designers taking on high fashion until I see it.

I say he'll last maybe two or three seasons. Gucci did need a change, but I feel like the collection they just showed was way too drastic. It's going to be a bit confusing for the typical Gucci customer.

My prediction is that he'll have an Alessandra Facchinetti-like stint.

And IMHO,his menswear collection was HORRENDOUS, worse than Frida's gucci man ever was.

Hmm Kering/Gucci is trying to inject androgyny into the collections and image of the menswear - trying to follow what J.W., Slimane have been doing for their own lines ... just so it gets relevance and $$$

How can anyone already, with so much confidence, say that he'll last three seasons and his collections won't sell? He's shown us one collection he hastily put together.

Also, Slimane shows us ugly crap season after season and his clothes sell like hot cakes as well, right?

Waiting for the womens show, but he feels like an inbetween.

Ok, let´s see if I have understood all this...first Frida gets fired because she is unable to develop a strong identity/vision for Gucci...and then they hire a new creative director (whose first men collection is a mixture between Yves Saint Laurent for cross-dressers, Prada 70s prints; and Céline-esque fur flat mules)to develop a strong identity/vision for Gucci.

Ok! Whatever!

PS. But I like Alessandro Michele´s look à la Charles Manson!!

I am trying hard not to judge from the ill-fitting menswear collection that he apparently put together in ten days (which, by the way, I am not buying since Gucci already knew he was going to be Frida's successor), but this doesn't look good. If the womenswear one is as sloppy and unattractive as this, I say no.

How can anyone already, with so much confidence, say that he'll last three seasons and his collections won't sell? He's shown us one collection he hastily put together.

Also, Slimane shows us ugly crap season after season and his clothes sell like hot cakes as well, right?

But it's well made ugly crap, he also has a blind legion of followers, no one really knows who this guy is and considering the comments no one really wants to know who he is

Good for him. I did like the accessories in his menswear.
Gucci needs to change and if he is ambitious, he can deliver.
I'm curious. His first collection will be a FW so, he will have to experiment with all the luxurious fabrics and incredible techniques.

But i hope the casting and everything will be better...no need to try hard to be different.

Not excited at all. I can't say anything else... Only time will tell.

I will wait for his women's collection to give my final judgement but if the men's f/w collection is any indication of his future at Gucci, God speed, because that was one of the most awful parade of clothes in recent years. NEVER thought for any moment I would prefer Frida over another.

I am asking this with genuine innocence, did Gucci say that Alessandro only had a couple days to put the men's collection together or are people just assuming this given the period between Frida's official departure and show date? I would believe he would have been working on this for far more time, whether Frida was still CD on paper she seem to have been disengaged with the brand long before her last day. If he did get all that designed and made in a couple days, congrats to him on that miracle, though it was still putrid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->