Ninja Assassin

Leeroi

Reaction score
warning, some minor spoilage after this line!

----

Starring the Korean heart-throb and all around pop icon Rain and produced by the Wachowski brothers (The Matrix), the movie would surely be a great one coming. Ehhh....

First off, I'm an avid Rain fan and love his music and I think a big break he deserves in the American media is long overdue, I mean he is dubbed as the Asian JT. I didn't expect much from Nina Assassin, knowing that his English is very limited and ofcourse the movie's main focus was strictly an extremely violent martial arts film; very reminiscent of old martial art films.

The action started immediately as soon as the movie began with one of the bloodiest, ghoriest (is that a word?), action sequence I've ever seen, which pretty much continues on throughout the movie and I found my self getting used to it. The plot and acting is minimal at best, and cannot be compared to other iconic martial arts films such as Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Maybe it's due to the fact that the movie concentrated so much on the bloody action sequences and inevitably showing off Rain's famous body almost all the time throughout the movie. I think if Ang Lee took part in this movie, it would have been better since he is a brilliant story teller.

The movie itself is rather bland, and my idol Rain couldn't save it even if he decided to do a song and dance number half way through the movie. If this is the big break he is hoping for, which I hope it does, then it's going to be mainly due to the fact that he was the main character and not some supporting character **cough**speedracer**cough**. Another bad thing for the film itself is that it has to compete with movies that already has a big following such as New Moon and Precious. Bad marketing by the producers.

I'm not saying the movie was really that terrible, I actually quite liked it. If you are going to watch the movie, you really do need to do so with no expectations at all because if you think this is going to be the next Kill Bill, then you will be greatly disappointed. If you want to see bloody action sequences, this movie is surely a go, but if you prefer a movie that focuses on great acting, then skip this one and watch Precious instead; wait for it to come out on DVD though and watch it with friends during an informal movie party.

I've read some critics' reviews and they're pretty much either loving or hating the film, but they all pretty much praise Rain's great effort since he literally poured his whole life into this project for a few months. I think maybe that's the only reason I tried my best to have no expectations when seeing this movie because the typical movies I enjoy are drama movies with alot of talking and crying and people getting lost and finding themselves. Haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your review! I've been wanting to see the movie - it looks totally bad-a** from the trailers. I don't know too much about Rain, other than he is like a God back in Korea (my sister-in-law loves him). I saw videos of him training for this, which were incredible, so I definitely give him props for this. I'll still see it - I definitely won't expect it to, like, change my life or anything but hopefully enjoy it! :smile:

Rain = :heart:

No, seriously, I have such a crush on him and this movie doesn't make it any better. Has anybody seen it yet, or? It hasn't come out here yet, so I'm trying to wait patiently.

Rain = :heart:

No, seriously, I have such a crush on him and this movie doesn't make it any better. Has anybody seen it yet, or? It hasn't come out here yet, so I'm trying to wait patiently.

The movie was released in the US last week.

^_^

My sister has been a big Rain fan for a number of years now, so of course I knew about him and heard some of his songs before seeing Ninja Assassin. But I do admit, I liked the movie. I knew what I was in for when I went to see it; bloody action!
LOL The ticket woman tried to discourage my sister from seeing it; she thought it would be too violent. But it wasn't really that violent...well, there was gore. And some rather nasty ways of people getting killed, but I think they fit into the story.
It's not an Academy Award winning movie, but for me it was pretty exciting. I don't usually watch these sort of films.
And Rain really looks good kicking ***. Hahaha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RudaZuza2005
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->