Noot Seear

^^ oh great pic. Yeah Im not into the twilight thing but il have to watch the movie to see how she does. Good luck to her.

Q&A: Noot Seear Talks Twilight
August 6, 2009 10:15 am
noot_blog.jpg

The history of the model-turned-actress is a checkered one, without a doubt. For every Charlotte Rampling or Penélope Cruz, there’s a Cindy Crawford in Fair Game, the sine qua non of bad career moves. The jury is still out on Noot Seear, but that’s only because Seear, an alum of countless runways and campaigns, won’t be seen in her first acting role until November. That’s when New Moon, the sequel to Twilight, is released—or, to put it another way, that’s when Noot Seear can expect to make the leap from model-turned-actress to paparazzi quarry. In the forthcoming film, Seear plays a “fisher.” “She’s kind of a siren,” Seear explains of her character. “She attracts tourists to bring back to her feeder people. Basically, she’s human bait.” The role is small but vital, and last month, the 25-year-old Vancouver native got her first taste of Twilight-related pandemonium when she joined Robert Pattinson and the gang at Comic-Con. Here, Seear talks to Style.com about the different ways to work a camera, enjoying what’s left of her anonymity, and being a teenager in love.
—Maya Singer

You’ve been modeling since you were 13. Are all those years in front of the camera working to your advantage or disadvantage as you transition to acting?
Both. The advantage, especially, is that I’m used to being in front of the camera. I’m comfortable having a crew around and shooting with lights in my face, and I get the lifestyle, doing one job and then flying off to the next round of castings. There are similarities. The big hurdle is that when you model it’s all about engaging the camera, whereas in acting, you have to train yourself not to notice the camera at all, and just be in the scene, with the other actors. But that’s what I’ve been training to do. I’m not coming to this totally cold.

Had you read the Twilight books before you went out for the part?

No, actually. And even though the first movie had come out by the time I heard about the role, I still didn’t have a clear idea what a huge production this was and what an insane cult following it has. It didn’t quite hit me until Comic-Con. I mean, people slept outside overnight just to get a glimpse of the cast, and then, you know, we go into this auditorium, and screen a clip of the movie, and the fans are just screaming, like, the loudest noise I’ve ever heard. And the screaming would die down for a minute, and then Rob [Pattinson] would brush his hair out of his eyes or something, and that’s all it would take for the screaming to start up again.

Do you look at Robert Pattinson and think, yikes, that’s going to be my life in a few months?

I’m not sure it will be the same thing. My part is relatively small, and then I’m not coming back until the fourth film, so I’d like to think I can stay under-the-radar. All that fame, I mean, I know it’s something Rob has been struggling with, because it happened so quickly to him and in such a massive way. I like being able to walk down my street without being recognized, and I don’t like people knowing my business. So what I’d prefer, rather than go for some big blockbuster after this, is to build my career up slowly, with some indies, things like that. Good scripts, good directors. I’ve managed to have a lot of longevity as a model because I never got overexposed. I’m hoping I can have the same kind of career as an actress.

Wait—so you’ve read the Twilight books by now, undoubtedly?

I read them on airplanes. I think there’s something about flying that heightens emotion, because I was literally crying the whole way through each of those books. Flying and crying. I’m sure people thought I was crazy.

Did you comprehend what makes teenage girls so fanatical about the books? I mean, was there anything in your life, at that age, that you were that consumed with?

It’s too embarrassing, I can’t say.

Come on. I freely confess to my own Anne of Green Gables obsession. Books and miniseries.

Saved by the Bell. I mean…Zack Morris, oh. The blond one? I had posters, the whole thing. I think I’m still a big Zack Morris fan. I’d probably freak out if I saw him at a party. What is that guy doing now?

You know there’s going to be a reunion, right?

There’s a reunion?!

So, hang on, you’re 13, and you wrap a long day shooting with, say, Mario Sorrenti, and then you come back to your apartment in New York and watch tapes of Saved by the Bell and practice signing your name “Noot Morris” until it’s bedtime? I’m having a hard time picturing this.

Well, the Saved by the Bell thing kind of predated New York. But there was some of that. It was very confusing, being so young and being thrown into that adult world. I hung out with a lot of older people, and I grew up quickly. I was kind of raised by fashion. And some of that teenage stuff, I just missed out on it. But, you know, like all 14-year-olds, I had a few secret crushes on people who probably didn’t know I existed.

Secret crushes on who?

I will never, ever say.
style.com

Noot is tops. Her beauty is so special. I am so pleased she is getting these opportunities to do what she wants, especially when it means we get to see more of her!

I really like her answer about wanting to build her acting career slowly, one indie movie at a time. She'd rather have staying power than be overexposed. Makes you see she's not really in it for the fame. :smile:

Catch her in the Sept issue of Glamour.

celebutopia.net

I just watched her Modelinia videos... out of all videos in their library I think hers' are my favorite.

^ same here. especially with the one of her playing chess- it was the most interesting

yeah she doesn't look like your cookie-cutter model. she seems really grounded and down-to-earth.

I'll have to watch it. That's a cool key necklace she's wearing in candid photo above.

Model/Vampire: Twilight's Noot Seear
By Darrell Hartman 08/14/2009 01:08 PM

img-noot-1_121720266889.jpg

Photos by Jack Siegel

After half a life as a model, 25-year-old Noot Seear is now a vampire. And not just any vampire: a Twilight vampire, the true proof of immortality, film and otherwise. In the forthcoming New Moon, the second installment in the rabidly popular teen series, Seear plays Heidi, a crazy-hot bloodsucker who lures tourists to her coven. When we sat down with her, the British Columbia native admitted she's more grunge than Goth. She spilled a few details about her show-stopping scene in the film. She told us the amusing story behind her name. And she assured us she's not going to let a childhood full of embarrassing Halloween costumes get in her way.

DARRELL HARTMAN: So, what did you have to do to look the part?

NOOT SEEAR: I didn't tan for two months. It was awful, and totally unnecessary because they painted me white anyway. And I had these crazy contacts that I couldn't see through. It was like skiing in a total snowstorm. I could see about two feet in front of me.

DH: What about the wardrobe?

NS: It was this red, flowy dress with high gloves and big old heels.

DH: A dress? It's a miniskirt in the book.

NS: I know! I didn't get to show much leg.

img-noot-2_121731805221.jpg

DH: Heidi's scene, in the book at least, is short but awesome. Tell me about filming it.

NS: The sets were breathtaking. Huge, like palace-sized. I think the scariest part for me, out of the whole day, was that they had given me lines to practice, and when I showed up they gave me completely different lines. I freaked out. Dan [Cudmore] was like, "Calm down, it's okay." They're so protective over the script. But it was really cool because the day I shot everyone was there: Dakota, Rob, Kristen. I got to meet everyone and they were so nice to me. I was scared they were going to not be nice.

DH: You've been a model half your life. How did you get into it?

NS: Looking back on it, I was way too young to be in New York on my own. I was 13. I'd just finished eighth grade, and I hated school. I'd gone to maybe 13 different schools in eight years. I met this agent and we went to New York and I started working right away, with Mario Sorrenti. And that was it. I was a stubborn little girl; I didn't want to go back to school. I started home-schooling and stayed in new York.

DH: Do you feel like you missed certain key parts of adolescence?

NS: I definitely missed out things like prom and spring break, but I think I gained a lot more by traveling all around the world. I feel like I had a head start on life. I've had 12 years of working in and adult world, being taken seriously, having to show up to work on time, whereas if I'd gone through the school system I'd just be finding my own feet right now. But there were cons.

DH: Such as?

NS: You're thrown into this adult world and you're alone all the time. You go to work alone, stay in hotels alone.

DH: And—I have to ask, since we're talking Twilight–maybe not much opportunity for teen romance?

NS: No. That's one terrible thing about this industry: there's a lot of predator men. You have to be very careful. But I was very lucky. I've had the same manager for 12 years now, and she guided me and made sure I was making the right decisions.

DH: When did the acting thing start?

NS: I always wanted to be an actress. I've been taking acting lessons for years with Alan Savage. But he would never let me audition for anything. He was like, "You get one chance with these casting directors, and if you go in there and do a bad reading they're never going to call you in for anything else." So he made me wait, and he was right. Instead of having to play some hot girl on some dude's arm, this role came along.

DH: I hear you're moving to the West Coast.

NS: I am. This movie has opened up so many doors for me: I'm working on a couple indie movies I think are going to happen. And I got my driver's license two months ago, so I can finally drive.

DH: Are you going to miss New York?

NS: I've had this crazy-long successful career in New York. Twelve years! Most models, they come in and get so overexposed. They're shooting every campaign, they make a lot of money, and then two years later everyone's done with them. My agent always turns down jobs for me because she wanted to make sure I was always fresh. I never became a name.

DH: Speaking of: You were born Renata. How did you become Noot?

NS: It was from a nursery rhyme my mom used to sing. Am I gonna have to sing it?

DH: Yes.

NS: I have been trying to be Renata forever. I still try to be Renata. Every time I would change schools, I would always start as Renata and somehow switch to Noot. And when I moved to New York, there was a really big model named Renata and she was at my agency. Now I can't get rid of it. It's the most ridiculous name.

DH: On the Web somewhere, a commenter pointed out that it's Dutch for "nut."

NS: It is! Everyone thinks I'm Dutch, but when I go over to Amsterdam they're like, "What? What's your name? Nut? Like, a crazy?"

DH: Did you ever have a Goth phase?

NS: Definitely grunge, but not Goth. But there are parts to being a vampire that I can really relate to. My character's 300 years old and sometimes I feel like I've lived that long.

DH: What have you dressed up as for Halloween?

NS: Pris, from Blade Runner. That was two years ago. My mom is British. They don't do Halloween there and she always thought it was very silly and refused to spend money on Halloween costumes. So when I was a kid, I was a bag of garbage. I remember her cutting two holes in the bottom of a garbage bag and sewing it to the top of my pants and then sewing garbage to my shirt. And one year she gave me an umbrella with streamers on it: jellyfish. So I'm kind of traumatized by those.

DH: That's hilarious. What books did you read as a teenager?

NS: I was a bit of a comic nerd. There was a comic I read called Battle Angel Alita. She was amazing—this half-girl, half-robot who used to race, but with fighting. And I really liked Robotech and Japanime, stuff like that.

DH: You were just at Comicon to promote New Moon, right?

NS: It was amazing. I think it was that point where it actually hit me, what a big production I'm involved in.

DH: What did it, exactly?

NS: The screaming. The pitch of the screams. I've never heard screaming that loud, by so many girls, at once. There would be screaming, and then if Rob would just move his hair or Jacob would gesture to someone, the pitch would go up a little.

DH: Did anyone recognize you when you walked through the convention center at Comicon?

NS: No, but I was with a couple people from the cast, and they had to wear disguises. Like, wigs and glasses and hats.

DH: And it worked?

NS: Yes! Surprisingly.

DH: Was Robert Pattinson with you?

NS: No, he didn't stay. But he would have to wear disguises, yes, or he would get swarmed by screaming women.

DH: And were any of the fanboys, Trekkies, etc. surprised to see a fashion model there browsing comic books?

NS: Not really. I think they were so amazed by the video games and new high-tech toys that the last thing on their mind was a pretty girl.
interviewmagazine.com

What a shame she didn't get to show off her long legs in the movie. I wish they had stuck to her costume in the book.
You can listen to her sing the nursery rhyme she was talking about at the source. It's kinda cute, actually. ^_^

Great interview but WHO makes that jacket? I really must have it. There have been so many similar styles but that one is the best I've seen yet. Anyone know? :flower:

^Rick Owens. His leather jackets are amazing, but pricey!

What a gorgeous girl. Her Modelinia videos are great, much better than most other models'

those are some hot cheekbones. Does this have something to do with the New Moon movie..?? or?

^ Well, she's featured in the magazine along with Rachelle, Nikki, and Ashley. See post 224 for their picture together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anjdan
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->