NY Times slams Kitson

faust

Reaction score
I love it :D

From www.nytimes.com

Where the Clothes Talk a Lot

By ALEX KUCZYNSKI
IF you read People, Star or Us Weekly, you know about Kitson, the West Hollywood boutique made famous by celebrities like Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton. These are young ladies who live dreamlike crystal-covered lives and own dreamy things like crystal-covered hairbrushes (Paris's cost $295 at Kitson) and crystal-covered cellphones (Lindsay's was $395 at Kitson). The actresses Mischa Barton, Tori Spelling and Debra Messing have been photographed with groaning Kitson bags on their arms, their faces slack with the satiety that follows a successful shopping binge.

Kitson, if you believe the publicity, is Hollywood's hottest shopping spot. I approached with tingly anticipation. But strip away the phony tinsel of Hollywood, as Oscar Levant said, and you'll find the real tinsel underneath. Such is the case with Kitson, which is less a chic boutique than a tourist trap, its popularity generated by warring weekly tabloids and not by the exquisite, or even interesting, clothing it offers for sale.

At its inception in 2000, Kitson was presented as a marketplace, with stalls presenting like-minded merchandise, a concept that has worked for many years at Fred Segal, the legendary Santa Monica retailer.

But now everything is presented together in one big white room under a ceiling painted with clouds and against a backdrop of blaring pop music: men on the left, women at the back, accessories and perfume and makeup and gifts on the right. The store's founder, Fraser Ross, is often quoted as saying that he wants the store to be stocked with whatever is new, hot, fresh, hip and daring. But there is not much at Kitson that feels new.

At the front of the shop, shoppers can peruse T-shirts and tank tops that read "Blonde" in gold sequins or "I ♥ Desperate Housewives." In the men's section there are the requisite old-school sneakers, hooded sweatshirts and distressed jeans and a T-shirt that proclaims its bearer a "Future Billionaire."

I confess that I did not turn it over to see if the back read "Currently Delusional." A man visiting from France tried on a theatrically shredded blazer and clownishly modeled it for his family. They shook their heads non.

The women's department was not much better, and the clothing had the pawed-over look of sample-sale items. Too many times I found myself wondering, How many slightly sweaty women have tried on this blouse? I had seen everything before: jeans, Juicy Couture sweatshirts, Ugg-style boots in pastel colors, Cosabella thong underpants, Rebecca Beeson T-shirts, cashmere sweaters decorated with sparkling crystals.

Kitson has a reputation as a good place to pick up interesting gifts, but I found even those generally disappointing, in part because the Kitson consumer evidently requires that his or her clothes and accessories say something. A terry cloth makeup bag announces that the bearer loves Botox, or boys, or shopping. A beach tote advertises "Cabana Boy Wanted." A velvet pillow bears the message "Life is an endless struggle but you eventually find a hairstyle that you like."

At $38, it was cheap, but it was also cheap looking and, again, worn in the way objects get when they have been fondled and held aloft - Hey, Mom, isn't this funny? - by a thousand sets of hands. Other gifts were gratuitously expensive. A Zippo lighter, covered in crystals, was $125. A teddy bear wearing a cashmere sweater that reads Kitson is $145.

Last week the store announced an arrangement with Skechers shoes to manufacture a line of Kitson footwear to be sold in department stores. This attack of logo-itis put me in queasy remembrance of T-shirts from the Hard Rock Cafe and its grown-up equivalent, the Black Dog of Martha's Vineyard.

Kitson recently made headlines by selling T-shirts for "Team Jolie" and "Team Aniston," so Hollywood citizens could announce who they were rooting for in the Brad Pitt-Jennifer Aniston breakup. (You can also buy a "Mrs. Pitt" compact at the checkout counter. Or a "Mrs. Clooney" or "Mrs. Lachey" compact.)

Last week the hot seller was a $38 "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" golden ticket T-shirt with gold lettering on the front. Also for sale: "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" golden ticket necklaces ($198), men's ID bracelets ($265) and cuff links ($165). Somehow I doubt that wearing a promotional T-shirt for a movie is the latest in Angeleno chic. Then again, the only people buying the T-shirts were tourists.

On the bright side, the store has a good accessories department and more styles of blue jeans than anyone could ever need. The sales staff was friendly and helpful. One particularly jovial attendant spent a half hour passing jeans and shoes and belts and tunic tops to me in the spacious, well-lighted dressing room. (There are three comfortable, pillow-laden dressing rooms.)

I eventually bought a pair of high-heeled pink suede Fornarina pumps for $125, shoes that are definitely more California than New York. (You can't walk more than a block in them, but Californians have the luxury of driving everywhere.)

I visited two other shops in Los Angeles that day and spotted celebrities at both: Lisa Rinna at her store, Belle Gray; a guy I didn't recognize who said he had been in "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle" at the vintage store Decadestwo.

At Kitson, the store that is so famous for its celebrity clientele, I kept hoping to spot a Lindsay or a Mischa or a Britney. No luck. The closest thing to a star I saw was the star behavior of a young girl who kept demanding that her father buy her a "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" golden ticket T-shirt.

Kitson

115 South Robertson Boulevard, Los Angeles; (310) 859-2652.

ATMOSPHERE Imagine the most aggressive sample sale you've ever been to. Times 10.

SERVICE Considering the circumstances, surprisingly good.

KEY LOOKS Hipster hopefuls shop here for low-rider jeans and slogan T-shirts that say things like "Team Aniston" and "Team Jolie."

PRICES Generally expensive with a few tchotchkes thrown in for the tourists.

Thanks for posting the article. I never stepped within 10 blocks of Kitson but based on the tidbits I've read online about it, I already find the store, its philosophy and clientele very annoying.

:lol: love the honest article. Thanks faust

great article.. I couldnt agree more.. Kitson is right near the hospital where I work... and when I go to lunch I always walk by and see people sifting through piles of sh*t.

Sorry but kitson is like a sparkly garage sale. There is so much nothing to buy in there it's ridiculous. well they do have candles so that's good. Oh, and a good publicist.

Oh my :cry:

Are they made from roadkill?

CocoBootweb.jpg

Hideous. :sick:

oh my god those boots are $395! they are rabbit fur and feathers, what a shame that some poor bunnies had to die to make these hideous boots..how sad:(

look at the back of them

CocoBackweb.jpg

i have never been to this store but the website and the endless advertising in US weekly make me never want to go there, who buys this crap?

as i browse through the kitson website for some good laughs i discovered this cashmere and crystal tweety bird sweater. how much, $595!!!!!!!!WHAT THE HELL!
TweetyCashPinkCrewweb.jpg

thats the ugliest sweater i have ever seen

lduv143 said:
as i browse through the kitson website for some good laughs i discovered this cashmere and crystal tweety bird sweater. how much, $595!!!!!!!!WHAT THE HELL!

thats the ugliest sweater i have ever seen

Is the sweater raw 7 cashmere? If so- they have some amazing sweaters but not their looney toones and sequined ones... Figures that they would pick those out of the lot...

thanks for the article!!

kitson is just bleh. japanese people/tourists drool all over that stuff even in their magazines...

but it's nothing special

who needs a crystal covered brush anyways?

I wonder if Victoria Beckham has got a brush to match her diamond-studded personal-massager yet.

great article :flower:

it's funny because the first time i went to kitson was when i was 16 ('bout 4 years ago) and i went there because there was a Paul Frank sign-in & i loove free stuff from him. but that was before the brand exploded .. no more free stuff :( anyway, before the store was much smaller and didn't have the piled stacks of clothes like they have now. they sold a lot of bracelets before i remember and they were very expensive. but back then there weren't that many people in the store. now kitson is supposedly 'the place where stars shop'. i went back last year and there was nothing special. the store was packed w/ people and not to mention how messy the store was. it was like Christmas time at the Gap but with all the hundreds of dollars t-shirts and sweaters. there's nothing special about the store .. it's ridiculous. :yuk: Oh and all the 'boutiques' on robertson .. same thing.:innocent:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->