ok i need serious help, guys!

IAmEllie

Reaction score
I am really stuck in a rut.
I'm at college in England and I'm a year through a 2-year BTEC course in Media which i initially took because i was interested in journalism and i thought there was some of that in there. after doing it a year i've realised that it's solely video and radio (no print) and now it's bearly time to go back, i've been questioning whether to change courses and start another 2 year course of some form.
I'm REALLY interested in getting into fashion now...i'm thinking a stylist or buyer... at my college there's a "fashion and clothing" course which i had my heart set on, but i've just found out that it's not at the same place as my media one was where it used to be. from this year it's moved into another building the other side of the city and i already travel 2 buses to get to where i am now, and this would mean getting 3 buses, and waiting at bus stops in the dark in a not particularly nice part of town. so it wouldn't be practical for me to do it :cry:

anyway, i wondered if any of you could help me with what would be the best option for me to take now. what do i need to get onto fashion uni courses/into fashion universities? if i stayed on my media course until the end (june) would that help me in any way, or would it be a complete waste of my time? if i did a levels, which ones should i do? they don't have a textiles a level either :blink:

i really don't know what to do, and college starts again next week! ANY help would be greatly appreciated! thank you in advance! :blush:

So many options, no need to panic!

However, don't do ANY course just because you think you have to pick one. Styling in particular is better approached by getting your foot in the door with magazines (doing anything, even if it is making the tea and unpaid) and then working your way up from inside. You'll have to research to find the best way into buying.

Even if that doesn't turn out to be exactly what you want, if you are in anyway undecided at this stage a generous dose of work experence could be a better bet than diving on the first course that sounds cool - only to end up in this situation again this time next year. Just remember, if you do decide to take a year out DON'T waste it.

Last edited by a moderator:
IAmEllie said:
if i stayed on my media course until the end (june) would that help me in any way, or would it be a complete waste of my time?

it wouldnt be a waste of time since
a-you can approach fashion journalism through video (tv)
b-your experience in media will be useful to you both in being a buyer or a stylist
i'd say ...stay where you are and take your time researching your opitions for next season.
to end up as a buyer you could use some fashion marketing, but even this is not obligatory, like FC5 said, its all about work experience in those 'fields' its not something one really 'learns' at school.
i think you can explore your current studies much better than you think, if only it click in your mind.

ah yes.. and welcome to tFS :flower:

thank you so much for your help! :flower:

i spoke to some universities today to see what the requirements are, and they said if i did a 1 year art course at university, that would help get me into the course i would like to do, so i'm going to stick with the media, and do that after. i think for my final major project in media i am going to do it on something to do with fashion. i think i'll enjoy it more then, and also learn a fair bit for myself!

thank you for the welcome, too ^_^

non print media + fashion = very good money

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porcelainbackbone
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->