Business Graduates in the Fashion Industry?

This is a really great blog. I've found that truly informative resources about the behind-the-scenes happenings of the fashion industry, without all the fluff, are extremely hard to come by. I'm looking to eventually (hopefully) transition into a career in fashion, into a position that is probably very specialized. If anyone knows of more resources like this, please (please!) post them!

Nice thread.. incidentally, if anyone's interested in reading more about the business side of fashion, try Imran Amed's blog, The Business of Fashion http://uberkid.typepad.com/ ...I've been reading it for a while, it's good.

I'm going to school for humanities (History and Anthropology) but I think the business end of fashion is fascinating. Everyone and their mother wants to design (or so it seems)... you have to find a niche where demand exceeds supply.

Is it absolutely necessary to have a business degree to work in the fashion industry? Its just that I cannot afford to pay for a degree, but could probably pay for a Diploma though.

Hmmm ... I thought that a degree and a diploma are essentially the same thing. They both mean that you have graduated from a college or university. Is there a difference in the UK?

Last edited by a moderator:
BetteT thanks for responding. I'm actually from Singapore but am in the UK at the moment. A diploma is like maybe half a degree course. They split it in 2 or 3 parts (Diploma, sometimes even Advanced Diploma, Degree) in private institutions in Singapore.

Thank you for explaining ... I guess it varies from place to place.

As far as your question goes ... it really depends on the job you want in the fashion biz. Some require full degrees ... probably a lot of the jobs in the business end of fashion require a full degree if you want a job that is higher than just entry level to start. . Some don't. Certainly some of the creative jobs in fashion don't require any formal schooling at all or require a different type of degree ... but that is another topic. This thread is about people with business degrees and what they can use them for in the fashion industry.

Hello!^_^

I am a high school senior who is planning on majoring in Business-Marketing. I am hoping to some day working in the fashion industry. Do you know if there any interships or volunteer opportunities open to high school students? On the average, how much does a marketing job in the fashion industry pay? Is it hard to get into this business?

xxx

To be honest, I would start with places that are not fashion related. Call around and see if local marketing and pr agencies need any help. Although you may doing be things such as stuffing envelopes, making copies and answering phones, it would still be a great place to start. This can help you make some contacts for the future and build your resume for more competitive internships and jobs for the future.

This topic about high school students seeking internships is covered in this thread ...several months ago, I beleive. All About Internships and Work Experience Placements

In addition, you might find this thread helpful: Fashion Career Building Activities if you are Still in High School

If you are interested in fashion design, not the business end of it ... there is also a thread about that for High School Students ... how to prepare to apply to fashion shcool.

To find it, do an Advanced Search option and search key word "High" ... searching only thread titles and ask for results by threads ... and confine your search to this Careers forum ...otherwise you will get way too many results. If you need some coaching about our Advanced Search (it has a few quirks) ... there is a thread pinned near the top of the Member Support forum ...."Searching for Something?".

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I have to work on a final paper about the strategic management or competitive advantage of a fashion company..any suggestions?

Hi, I am majoring in International Business and Finance and my goal is to eventually work in the corporate area of fashion. I want to know if there is any particular way to search for internships in the finance/ business area of fashion or should I just send email my resume with cover letter to as many different fashion industy businesses as I can. I want to intern my junior and senior years, if possible. Until then I hopefully intern at local business in the aforementioned sectors. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi girls. I was in the same situation last year. My heart would beat for fashion but I knew that my mind was made for finance. I graduated with a degree in Economics and with no formal fashion training. My big break was scoring an internship at LVMH. I reported to the controller and VP of finance as a corporate finance intern. I spent 2 semesters interning there. I also interned for a semester in finance at Liz Claiborne in brand finance. I applied for both internships via their career websites. I'm currently a financial analyst at Ralph Lauren and I have to say, I absolutely love my company and my job.

I started applying for jobs over my senior year winter break and Ralph Lauren was my first interview. My manager went over the usual questions and then had me do a kind of test exercise on various fashion/finance software. I then interviewed with a few senior management. I was offered the job a week or so later and I accepted right away since the offer was great. Some people believe that the pay grade in fashion is lower than in banking but I disagree. As long as you work for a solid company, your salary should be more than comfortable and comparable to banking analyst salaries.

As far as job hunting goes, I'd have to say the most important thing by far is experience. Grab every opportunity available and absorb as much as you can.

Hope that helps!

I also want to mention that I will definitely be looking into grad school in a few years. Can't become a CFO without an MBA!

Your comments were made a couple of months ago. I finished college last year and obviously its too late for an internship. I need to get away from banking. HELPP!! Just Kidding but I do need to get away from banking and start my career. How the heck did you score all of those interviews and jobs at that? I have a Business Management Degree.

Thanks

CoquineChic that was a great post! :flower: I gave you karma :smile:

Fashiongirl1 I recall seeing internships that are relevant for business graduates on the Vera Wang and Ralph Lauren websites. However I think they're for credit rather than for pay, but maybe you can contact them and see if they can make an exception?

I see the same too. What about places that ask for students that graduated from fashion schools with business backgrounds. I didn't graduate from a fashion school. Yes I should have but that is the pass now. I was thinking I should apply anyway and just take a couple of courses in like Product Management or Fashion Merchandising at F.I.T. I mean I am sure there are exceptions to the rule.

I think if you want to go to the business side of fashion it is better to not have studied at a fashion school. After all many of the employees and top execs at companies like LVMH and PPR are recruited from the best business schools in the world - Harvard, HEC, LSE, etc - Columbia also have a unit on luxury business (working with companies like Chanel) for their MBA.

I'm new in this forum. I saw this post and found it highly relevant to my current situation. I will be completing a BBA in a year's time. It is pretty difficult for me to get into the industry. What my take on this is to go and network and know people from the industry or people who know people in the industry. May it's easy in Singapore. Networking always help.

Yeah I agree on networking, as ethan wang have said. We need to get out there and find other business minded individuals who also have a passion for fashion.

I'm also a business management graduate majoring in entrepreneurship. I would also like to work in a big fashion label but my heart yearns for establishing a fashion boutique/label. I know it's hardwork but I'll never give up on it.

A good way, I believe, to gain an entry into the fashion industry with a Business degree is to complete an internship at a fashion related business, while you are still at university.

I know that in Australian at least, some Uni's will have internship prgrams running and can help you get a placement during your study. I know that Bond University in Queensland has just that, that's why I'll hopefully be applying there for next years intake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amywhiffen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->