Business Graduates in the Fashion Industry?

Yes, internship surely provide you with the hands-on experience of what it is like working in the your chosen career path. Furthermore, it gives you contacts that are vital in the industry itself.
It's too bad I didn't bother to get an internship while I am in the university.

A good way, I believe, to gain an entry into the fashion industry with a Business degree is to complete an internship at a fashion related business, while you are still at university.

I know that in Australian at least, some Uni's will have internship prgrams running and can help you get a placement during your study. I know that Bond University in Queensland has just that, that's why I'll hopefully be applying there for next years intake.

Luna C are you in QLD? Does Bond offer credit for internships if you do a Commerce related degree? That's quite interesting because I haven't heard of any other universities doing that actually.

There are lots of other universities which offer internships placements as well but more often in Communications degrees, like UTS and if you do Media & Comm at Usyd.

So, the point of this whole thread is intern, intern, intern. :D

Nope I'm in S.A, but will be making plans to move there over the next year. I'm not sure of all the details, I know you can do an internship during a commerce undergraduate degree with Bond, with companies like Maquarie Bank and Deutsche Bank etc.

However you should go to their website and perhaps contact the Uni an talk to someone 'in the know' :smile:. Sorry I can't help much more!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm all universities in Australia encourage you do to internships, not just Bond. I only know about Sydney universities - but for example UTS they're very flexible about doing night classes or part time, so many of their business students have part time jobs or intern at the big banks/investment banks/etc. At UNSW and Usyd, all commerce students intern, but it's during summer holidays ('summer vacation work') or part time during semester, and for pay. Like to work in commerce, everyone interns, whether they're at Bond or not.

And... maybe I'm biased (I go to one of the 'big 4' unis in Sydney and study Commerce), Bond probably isn't as highly regarded as other unis...

Last edited by a moderator:
I applied for a Master degree course in general management with a major in fashion management and since i could pick a second choice, I chose marketing management and that's where I was admitted.
unfortunately im not very happy, i could still pick the same electives but i'm not really into marketing, i don't know why but i don't see a career in fashion marketing as appealing as one in fashion management...
what do you think??

Hi!

This post half-fits into this thread, as I'm not yet in Uni yet but I need to know what I want to do asap.
I originally wanted to study Fashion Merchandising at RMIT (Melbourne) but realised fashion merchandising is strongly statistics, numbers, stock distribution that kind of thing? (please please correct me if i'm wrong). I'm very poor at maths so I shuddered away when I found out.. LOL

I was thinking of doing Marketing, but does it require a lot of public speaking and presenting during the course, and even when you start working at a company? I absolutely cannot public speak, I get nervous for no reason.. =S

Are there any other jobs within the fashion industry that are business-y but not too numerical? And are possibly 25% creative, 75% business?
Example; showroom rep. they may get to display the clothing in the showroom creatively but have to deal with clients and designers too?

Sorry I've asked too many questions, just had to blurt it all out ;]

You are correct ... merchandising and buying are all about accounting ... there is nothing creative about it at all. Marketing and Public Relations are both good cross over careers between business and creative ... if you are a good writer and have a creative mind.

This thread is about people who have business school educations and who want to use their education in the business of fashion, so you will probably find your answer elsewhere.

You might want to read these threads ... they name a lot of different options for people and it should give you a lot of ideas:

Searching for My Perfect Fashion Career - HELP!!
What Career for Me ... if I Can'tSew/ Make Patterns/Draw, Etc.?
Fashion Industry Careers

And we have threads about Merchandising, Marketing and Public Relations ... if you are interested ... just use the search feature and search thread titles only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rearjepaj
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->