Pat McGrath Labs 'Dark Star Mascara' 2020 by Steven Meisel

Discussion in 'Ad Campaigns' started by aracic, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

But Naomi represents how hypocritical our society is. That fascination for Divas and all the excess they represents!
    Naomi never hide who she was. I mean, she even said to Barbara Walters in a jocking way that she was a Hard Working bitch!

Because she is that beautiful woman that sells glamour, she managed to glamorize her abuse toward her assistants. When you think about that, Woke/Cancel culture or not, it’s never right to throw phones and be violent to someone who works for you!

But Naomi got away with it. People (the press included) celebrated the fact that she treated her community service as a Fashion show...She later used it to have a resurgence in the industry.

It’s schizophrenic to think that when the world was giving a huge pass to Naomi, people believed, thanks to The Devil Wears Prada, that Wintour was the epitome of an abusive Boss...

The world gave her a pass for things she did, admit and for her horrible attitude for years. It would be totally hypocrite to then today, throw her under the bus for the same exact things (that weren’t right back then anyway) and then use a story where her involvement Is not really proven, just to see her fall.

2. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

Absolutely.

It’s so dire these hollow days that anything by Meisel seems enough for many to get excited. This fashion apocalypse/famine/draught is causing delirium. It’s a nice cast that feels genuine to Pat and Meisel’s family, but there’s such an impersonal portrayal that it feels so cold and random; And I really thought Marisa was a House-of-Wax Jane Fonda accompanied by some random creepy Children-of-the-Corn kid… If I had to choose, Naomi’s shot and ad is the only one that sells it.

Pat really deserved much stronger and better than this because unlike the pollution of trash YouTube beauty gurus and Jenners, she really is the last of the beauty creatives working today.

3. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

The UK glossy magazine and a sizeable pocket of the public certainly never gave Naomi a pass. She'd appear on GQ but none of the other magazines gave her coverage because her profile was tarnished. She chalked it all down to racism but for the most part it was because of all the intrigue, the drama, the scandal, and the fact that she never appeared remorseful over her actions.

avonlea002 likes this.
  4. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

^^^ Never got the impression that the general public ever gave Naomi a pass. Part of it is passive tolerance at best, and the other part is that— and let’s be frank, because she is an outspoken Black woman and (White) people are so sensitive to condemning a Black woman for unacceptable behaviour in fear of being accused as racist-- unless she’s got her MAGA cap on, and more or less convinced themselves to accept her as an “empowered Black woman". It’s the same reason why the bad behaviour and blatant toxicity of individuals like Lizzo and Cardi are tolerated, enabled and even encouraged.

You know, I’d rather she remain real and not fake remorse to win the masses to her side. Phoney empathy and remorse is such an ugly trait in people, especially in celebs that will apologize streaming croc tears at the drop of a pin, so as not to incur the wrath of cancel culture. She may not be a very nice individual and there’s no excuse for awful behaviour, but I’m glad she’s not phoney. I admit I do tolerate her less than polite and often arrogant behaviour since she is a supreme model in much the same way that I tolerated Alexander McQueen’s arrogance because he is incomparable in his design genius (... and the stories I'd hear from other designers of his arrogance are very unpleasant). Both aren’t very nice individuals, but both are so unmatched at what they do/did.

I hope Pat will always cast Naomi as the face of her brand. If there are two battle-worn vets of the industry that best represent creative beauty, these two are most deserving.

djowodjo30 and dior_couture1245 like this.
  5. lauralynn025

lauralynn025 le monde est à moi

I do love a lot of Meisel’s work, he has shot so many iconic editorials, covers, etc. I also love the casting for this campaign.

Yet, this is sort of underwhelming. Not horrible, but nothing special either.

6. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

Gorgeous, just unapologetic beauty and glamour. Not the most groundbreaking of Meisel imagery but utterly stunning and far beyond the talent of anyone else, nevertheless. The casting is superb, what a total delight to see Marisa Berenson! :heart:

kenndale likes this.
  7. dfl-001

dfl-001 Well-Known Member

Lol, It's a mascara campaign, and none of this highlights the product.
    Eye shadow, yes. Eyeliner, yes. Eliza Doolittle, yep.
    Mascara....??

RedSmokeRise likes this.
  8. Salvatore

Salvatore Wanderlust

This Maty Fall Diba is STUNNING.