Pharrell Williams - Designer, Creative Director of Louis Vuitton Menswear

Well, as fashion designers' image has been degraded by "designers" like Demna, I welcome less weird humans such as Pharrell.
The bad news is he wouldn't be wearing Chanel and Hermes for a while.

I do not see this lasting that long for some reason. Could be very wrong, but I don’t. As I said in the other thread, I like Pharrell as a MUSIC PRODUCER, but as a fashion designer, I don’t see it.
It will last and it will be very successful. Virgil was the menswear designer through WhatsApp. Pharrell can totally be the same. He will give ideas, oversee a lot of things but he won’t be in the studio like Nicolas Ghesquiere.
He will be out there, in red carpets, in music videos, people will name drop him maybe in songs and everything.

It will be a success and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s good actually. The news itself and what it represents is more annoying to me.

This seems like a non-event mainly because he has done collabs with them before and seems like someone who would already wear the clothes. While that makes sense on paper, I don't think the hype-beasts of today are chasing Pharrell like they did Virgil. The collab he had with Adidas may have sold well but it wasn't a hot coveted item that sold out immediately which is where the hype is usually created. It is clear they are headed into the same-y streetwear element as before but hopefully it will be more refined.

They must be fuming at WSJ for leaking it, had rush that press release out the door lol

I think he's a cool dude and all, but this a pretty ridiculous appointment. He's biting more than he can chew, and we all know it. He has zero experience that could prepare him to take a job of this size. Directing a big house requires a full time commitment. Is he gonna move to Paris, drop his music career and all his other ventures to fully focus his attention here? I find that hard to believe. Ultimately he'll be there to give out "vibes", say yes or no to ideas and bring the press attention, and the actual job will fall on the shoulders of the design team. What could go wrong? They had Martine Rose or Grace Wales Bonner right there, both could have done something great with it.

It's a stunt, plain and simple. You would think LVMH was above that. I guess not...

I'm thinking about all the hard work that Marc and Nicolas (and Kim in some way) put in all these years to turn Louis Vuitton into a fashion house that went to waste just for the suits to transform this brand into "a Cultural Maison" whatever that means.

News like this makes me realize how good was my decision to leave this industry together.

And that the moment this industry fell apart.
You should have stayed in fashion. Delphine should have stayed at LV and none of this would happen.
With every decision that LVMH is making now, I'm dreading what's going to happen when one of the younger brothers is in control. Bernard maybe not be an angel but he has his standards. Besides creating headlines, I don't know what can they do.

You know what designers let rebels, drop your EP, drop your diss track. Hit them where it hurts.

I pity the brilliant, hardworking fashion design graduates with actual skills, who have to actually design those clothes without any kind of recognition for the sake of a celebrity treating their artistic director position as a lucrative side job. This is why I hate all these mega-corporate "maisons" who just sell ugly, overpriced sh*t covered in monograms to tasteless clients who just want to flaunt their wealth.

Codm59pUMAErgk5.jpg

Nicholas must be kicking himself for going to LV instead of going through the hell of launching his own label.

One look at the recent article displaying his Paris townhouse apartment and I'm doubting that, they have probably thrown a hell lot of money at him to take on the Vuitton womenswear gig, it's made him a very rich man and he seems happy with the status quo at Vuitton - The work he's putting out since years looks very much in compliance with what the suits are expecting from him.

Nicholas must be kicking himself for going to LV instead of going through the hell of launching his own label.
I wonder if his ego will make him be more visible…
I’ve always been surprised that LV haven’t requested a documentary, something to market him more. His Vuitton is selling so…

I'm thinking about all the hard work that Marc and Nicolas (and Kim in some way) put in all these years to turn Louis Vuitton into a fashion house that went to waste just for the suits to transform this brand into "a Cultural Maison" whatever that means.

And that the moment this industry fell apart.
You should have stayed in fashion. Delphine should have stayed at LV and none of this would happen.
With every decision that LVMH is making now, I'm dreading what's going to happen when one of the younger brothers is in control. Bernard maybe not be an angel but he has his standards. Besides creating headlines, I don't know what can they do.

You know what designers let rebels, drop your EP, drop your diss track. Hit them where it hurts.

My face when I saw Antoine's post in IG:

images

I doubt Delphine didn't have a say in this since I'm sure this was in the works before her move to Dior, which is disappointing decision-making from her and Bernard. I expected better from them, should I have?

This seems like a decision Alexandre would have made. I shutter to think what LVMH would be if Bernard was gone tomorrow and left him in charge. Thankfully, there is plenty of time for him to grow out of this phase as it's either him or Delphine.

You know for so much talk from LVMH about savoire-faire and history and blah blah blah, you'd expect more. Should we expect more? Surely there isn't a scarcity of actual fashion designers that they have to chose entertainers as creative directors? Was there NOT ONE designer who wasn't more skilled than Pharrell? NOT ONE? No shade to Pharrell, his music is okay, you can dance to it, vibe to it in your car, sure.

I'm also one who decided to leave the industry very early on but for different reasons. I'm not regretting it one bit, but that's the elitist snob in me talking.

I guess what they care about the most is profits, and like someone else commented above, this will probably be successful for them. Pharrell is not Ye in terms of drama (as far as I know), so at least there is that.

Cheers and good luck to him, I guess!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzn
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->