Phoebe Philo to leave Céline

Hiring someone from the company doesn't assure a change of aesthetic or even a good response from the retailers and critics.

Nor does hiring a well-known designer. So far MGC's Dior and CWK first Givenchy outing have been received with a rather lukewarm response, to mention the latest 2 LVMH designer shuffles.

They can find someone unknown or famous who can really shake-up the brand while maintaining the products and the aesthetic.
Just curious, how could they maintain the brands aesthetic and at the same time really shake up the brand?

Gucci is a leather goods company, Celine is a RTW luxury brand first and we are in a era where brands makes money in clothes as much as they do in accessories..

But, do they? While the era of the IT bag seems definitely over, you should not underestimate the importance of shoes, leather goods, accessories, jewellery, even for a more RTW focused brand such as Celine. While Celine clothes may not have been for everyone in terms of general fit, the broader appeal of the brand is in all the other products. The number of Celine bags and sneakers I have seen on people in the streets who would never buy their RTW was at some point very striking.

Interesting that you mention Gucci, because if one brand has scaled up their ostentatious presence and desirability in RTW over the past year it is Gucci.

Nor does hiring a well-known designer. So far MGC's Dior and CWK first Givenchy outing have been received with a rather lukewarm response, to mention the latest 2 LVMH designer shuffles.

That's why i believe there's no rule in this kind of things. If you really look closer to it, generally, brands go for "someone from the team" when they are not in positions of "trouble". It's obvious for Kering because it has happened many times in the group. At LVMH, they believe in a big brand mixed with a big voice...Even if the voice is barely known. I mean Galliano wasn't Galliano for the world when he became the creative director of Dior. The same for Jacobs and the others.

They have tried with "the team" thing at Dior, twice, but while they were able to maintain sales, we can't say that Dior really benefited from Gaytten or the duo after Simons.

Just curious, how could they maintain the brands aesthetic and at the same time really shake up the brand?
I think that Celine stand for certain things: a certain artistry, a discreet and slightly pretentious (some would say intellectual) image with very luxurious and minimal products. Celine by Philo wasn't minimalist to me, she just happened to have stripped back all the noise of fashion before her.

To be less abstract, i think Celine needs to be more playful, more fun in a much more "accessible" way. The brand is almost niche. Their bags and accessories are everywhere but it still feels intouchable right now.

With the new e-commerce, it will be different. Their challenge will be to not go for the obvious commercial route.
I think that Margiela before Galliano nailed it perfectly. It was very different from the time Mr Margiela was there. From the products to the retail and everything...It felt different but they were able to maintain the spirit of the house (sometimes in a very superficial way) while selling a lot more a being less disruptive as before.

But, do they? While the era of the IT bag seems definitely over, you should not underestimate the importance of shoes, leather goods, accessories, jewellery, even for a more RTW focused brand such as Celine. While Celine clothes may not have been for everyone in terms of general fit, the broader appeal of the brand is in all the other products. The number of Celine bags and sneakers I have seen on people in the streets who would never buy their RTW was at some point very striking.

Interesting that you mention Gucci, because if one brand has scaled up their ostentatious presence and desirability in RTW over the past year it is Gucci.

They do sell clothes and most of fashion houses today are selling clothes. Of course, historic houses like Versace or Armani have always depend on clothes more than accessories but we are in a era where brands that are part of big luxury structures have their RTW department being taken seriously by the suits compared to maybe 10 years ago when most of the structures were like Bottega Veneta.

Historic couture houses and niche brands had their faithful clientele but RTW was seen as something that couldn't touch people anyway.
Hedi Slimane and later Michele changed that. Suddenly, the entry price level item of a luxury is not necessarly a 300 pair of sunglasses that can fit anyone but also a fun logo t-shirt or a tracksuit that can be easily produced in many sizes.

People are buying into a designer version of what they have.

For Celine, i know they are selling a lot in Asia because from Seoul to Singapore and from Tokyo to Hong Kong, people who loves the brand are really engaged with the RTW. In Europe it's always a bit different...It's slightly niche, maybe a little bit more bourgeois. But Celine's influence has proven to be massive. That's why LVMH had this plan for e-commerce.

Before, brands were totally fine with a 80%-20% ratio in terms of sales between fashion and leather goods. But today, the possibilities are endless. Look at Givenchy. Even if Clare doesn't sell well the first few seasons, they can still sell Givenchy by Tisci inspired hoodies that are cheap to produce with big margins as long as the brand image is maintain.

Celine existed well before Philo and it will continue on after.

I think what Philo mastered at Celine is what they've always done: bourgeois classics with a slight modern touch. Yes , she did design more adventurous, more directional items, but the bulk of the business was striped shirts, trench coats, tailored trousers and ballet flats.

What Philo brought, and what will be difficult to replace, is her considerable experience, her aesthetic fearlessness, her innate understanding of what a regular woman needs to get through the day and a immense sense of trust among the clientele.

There are few designers who can bring that.

I heard Jacquemus already has the job. I look forward to how he will build on the house's bourgeois codes given his own penchant for updating and distorting French classics. My only concern is that he is not master of detail, something that helped Philo's quiet clothes shout. He seems to design for a larger, more immediate impact, and not the intimate effects of fabric on skin or the weight of the collar on the collarbone or the angle of pocket on a pant. He'll have to embrace this subtlety if wants to keep the Celine customer. I recommend he surround himself with smart women.

All said, I think he has the talent and vision to sustain the brand, push it into a new and successful direction and make a strong, memorable mark all his own.

Source: Refinery29.com, taken from his Insta stories.

Heard something new that Simon's new job might actually be somewhere else.

Starts with an L.

Heard something new that Simon's new job might actually be somewhere else.

Starts with an L.

He had such a promising career, too bad...at least he got to live the dream for a couple seasons.

Wow. If you're talking about the L I think you are, why would he do it?

And I'm thinking of the same one! Could it be? They've only just hired Lapidus? Actually, wouldn't put it past Madame Wang to hire and fire someone so fast over the media fiasco which ensued. And anyway, always wanted Jacquemus at Lanvin as I think he'd be perfect there.

But who will be at Celine then......

I don't know what to think about it. Is it even possible for him to go to that L. since he's really close to LVMH? And if it's true, is he going to close his namesake brand?
And for Céline I have the fear that they'll go for some C-list copycat.

Or maybe Loewe? Odd if this is true!

I don't know what to think about it. Is it even possible for him to go to that L. since he's really close to LVMH? And if it's true, is he going to close his namesake brand?
And for Céline I have the fear that they'll go for some C-list copycat.

Someone told me that Karl has been literally talking about him to everyone on how he finds him good. Given that he is close to the Arnault and that Delphine Arnault is really the one who has the eye for fashion among all the suits there, it's possible.

JW contract at LOEWE is supposed to be renewed this year. I can totally see it happen. LOEWE is not up to Celine or Givenchy in terms of sales and everything. It's still pretty niche. I can see JW at Celine and SPJ at Loewe.

One thing is that i don't believe that it would have been possible for him to out himself in such a random way. It's LVMH after all and Phoebe or whoever at this point are still creative director of their respective fashion houses.

^ But importantly, he didn't say anything about where. Hey, it could be a Target collaboration for all we know :lol: (OK, I don't think it's Target.)

What if was Lacroix? Could you imagine! :lol:

giphy.gif

giphy

What if was Lacroix? Could you imagine! :lol:

giphy.gif

giphy

you are so funny!

thinking out loud, there seem to be so many brands that start with L... Lancel? Longchamp? Louis Vuitton? Leonard?

Leonard kinda sounds good actually B)

Maybe he's even this season's ~curator~ at Lang? Who knows... That would be pretty interesting. I also thought of Lanvin (mess), Louis Vuitton (why?), Loewe (match in heaven) and Longchamp (long shot but could work).

Online hauls and sold-out stores: Inside the Céline resale phenomenon

Chloe Mac Donnell, acting fashion editor
15 OCTOBER 2018 • 5:37PM

When LVMH announced in December 2017 that Phoebe Philo was stepping down as the creative director of Céline, social media went into overdrive. Philo who had held the position for almost ten years was known for her minimal, chic and fuss-free designs and her fans did not hold back in expressing their mixture of anger and sadness that she would no longer be at the helm of the label. However, “Céline” wasn’t just trending on Twitter and Instagram. On the day of Philo’s announcement, the online luxury reseller The Real Real reported a 45 per cent increase in demand for Céline products designed by her. With search up 30 per cent, resale prices also suddenly leapt.

Céline has always been a strong reseller, epitomising the much-vaunted idea of an “investment buy”, but nobody expected Philo’s departure to lead to such a sudden spike in sales.

Founded in 1946 by Céline Vipiana, it started out as a made-to-measure children's shoe store before Vipiana and her husband introduced their first womenswear ready-to-wear line in 1967. Items such as wool skirt suits and pastel-coloured denim were seen as innovative at the time and in 1987, Bernard Arnault bought the brand.

It was integrated into LVMH in 1996 and a year later, Michael Kors was appointed creative director, a position he held until 2004. Focusing on accessories, the brand enjoyed a brief period of success with strong sales for the “Boogie” and “Poulbot” style of bags. However, it wasn’t until Philo came onboard in 2008, that the lucrative opportunities really started to accelerate.

In a Nineties world where bodycon dresses and spiky stiletto heels were the look du jour, Philo’s pared back designs were longed-for refreshment. From white trainers to fur lined sandals, billowing sleeved shirts to wide-legged trousers and oversized totes to cross-body bags, Philo produced hit after hit and in the process created her own style tribe dubbed the 'Philophiles'. According to analysts (LVMH goes not share figures for Céline) Philo took the brand’s annual sales from €200 million to more than €700 million.

Now it seems the news of her departure combined with Hedi Slimane’s wiping of the slate has only boosted sales further.

According to the luxury consignment site Vestiaire Collective, when Slimane revealed his new Celine logo, sans the accute accent on the first e, via Instagram in September,there was a spike in search for pieces designed by Philo. Then came his debut collection, that left the majority of original Céline fans feeling appalled by Slimane’s louche tribe of women sporting an almost exclusively black palette of body-con dresses. The Philophiles’ retaliation plan? Buy more of Philo’s existing Céline pieces.

Comparing data from October 2017 to the same month this year, visits to the Céline section on Vestiaire are up 275 per cent whilst there has been a 43 per cent increase in the number of Céline products sold. It’s a similar story over at The Real Real. The weekend after Slimane’s show, searches for Philo’s Céline were up 52 per cent compared to the same time last year. Revenue also spiked by 73 per cent and weeks later there continues to be a 32 per cent growth in revenue.

Brittany Bathgate, a 28-year-old blogger from Norwich is currently on the hunt for Philo’s white heeled glove shoes and a pair of chunky black sandals. She is looking regularly online and is also planning a trip to Bicester Village to “grab any old bits.” Having previously made a couple of purchases in the past she says she is longing for these items because, "I want to wear them but I also want them for commemorative reasons. Philo’s era was something truly special for women and we don’t know when or if we’ll ever get to experience something like that again so keeping hold of her iconic pieces is important to me.”

For Ramya Giangola, the founder of the retail and brands consultancy Gogoluxe and a self-confessed Céline superfan who has been buying pieces since Philo’s debut collection it’s a similar story. “I have continued to buy pieces, from the NYC Soho store and the Avenue Montaigne store in Paris since the news broke. To be honest I have been trying to acquire as many pieces that are relevant to me as I can knowing that the pre-fall delivery was still involving Phoebe and then fall by her design team was a greatest hits or “what would phoebe design” inspired collection. So I’ve been buying shoes and accessories, trench coats, leather pieces, signature trousers and lots of iconic knits and dresses.”

Search for Phoebe Philo on Vestiaire and you’ll find over 400 items. According to the site, the “Classic” bag has proven to be the most popular product sold over the last month and whilst the markup depends on the condition of the piece, they say sellers of sought-after items could recoup 80 per cent of the price they paid at retail and in some cases even more. Meanwhile, The Real Real report an overall resale value rise of 7 per cent across the board but have seen price increases of up to 30 per cent especially in clothing where they are seeing the highest demand increases.

However, for true Philophiles like Ramya an increase in recouping more than she originally spent, isn’t enough to convince her to part with her much desired pieces. “Someone on Instagram sent me a screen shot of a silk printed shirt that I have in my collection and that Kanye made famous when he wore the same style to perform in at Coachella in 2011. It showed that the same shirt had just sold on eBay for $8000 (£6000 approx.) My reaction was “Wow,” but no I would never part with these pieces to cash in. I feel privileged to have been part of this moment in time, this movement towards a new way of dressing led by Phoebe. And keeping my collection and continuing to wear it is important to me.”

Source: Telegraph.co.uk

It has been insane since the Hedi show. The morning after, their were queues in Paris department stores, at the Celine corner. I’ve been told that the demand for the bags is really strong.

Lucky me, i’ve started to buy archive Celine a longtime ago. And from Yoox to some independent retailers or VC, there are plenty opportunities to buy Phoebe’s pieces. People are going generally for the more recognizable runway pieces when there are many treasures coming from the pre-collections.

It will be interesting to see it on a long run. I remember the same thing kinda happened when Nicolas left but quickly after, the prices dropped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->