Pierre Balmain - a Diffusion Line

Emmanuel

Reaction score
Cheaper biker jeans ? Balmain is launching a younger, less expensive line.

FIRST-NAME BASIS: Balmain has confirmed details about its new ready-to-wear collection to be produced under license by Italy’s Ittierre SpA. Dubbed Pierre Balmain, it will be for women and men and under the purview of a separate design studio, overseen by the Paris-based house. (The company recently named Olivier Rousteing the new designer of first lines, labeled Balmain.) An official launch presentation for Pierre Balmain is expected in September, possibly in New York. WWD first reported a deal between the two parties on April 5.

Source: WWD

^it is a scandal and a half that the bridge line will bear the full name of the house's founder. at least most major houses have the decency to give some sort of cute "nickname" to their secondary line to maintain the prestige and exclusivity of the mainline. "marc," "miu miu," "michael," "see by chloe," "PS," "DKNY," "d & g" (if it still exists), "navy," "brit," "versus," and so many others. i cannot think of one precedent for a bridge line for getting a more prominent name than the ready-to-wear line.

^ My first thought exactly.

I think the one thing that Balmain has going for it is the controversial contemporary craftmanship that goes into the products that demand the high prices - trying to do a similar thing in a cheaper way will surely only be emphasizing the fact that it can be done in a cheaper way and has already been done?

let's wait and see...
Ittierre needs to save themselves from embarrassment and further lines going "missing" so this better be decent!
but yes, the name already does not help ... :cry:

it's kinda similar imo how the old diffusion line from Burberry was called 'Thomas Burberry'....

I hope this doesn't turn into an overly trendy line like Isabel Marant. On the other hand, this might also take the main Balmain line a step forward.

it's kinda similar imo how the old diffusion line from Burberry was called 'Thomas Burberry'....
Was the first thing that came into my mind as well. Though we can mark it off the "successful" ventures since it pretty much was rebranded into Brit.

um it will absolutely make the brand become overly trendy... don't get me wrong i'd love be able to own a balmain piece, but not at the expense of the balmain's exclusivity declining. and yeah that's weird about the name, hmmm....

balmain02.jpg
balmain03.jpg

wwd

Looks as if H&M did Balmain. While the pricepoints in the WWD article are expected, the quality of the clothes is not. As isa.b.elle said, it looks very cheap and a bit disappointing.

^ sure:

Capitalizing on the heat attributed to its brand name, Balmain has big ambitions for its new second ready-to-wear line, produced under license by reborn Ittierre SpA and slated for early December delivery.

Sporting a more casual, downtown vibe than its big sister — and without the nosebleed price tags — Pierre Balmain is gunning for 700 doors in its first season, targeting Europe, the U.S., Middle East and Asia, and plans to open freestanding boutiques in Hong Kong, Milan, Paris and Rome before the end of the year. Retail prices are to range from 120 euros, or $172 at current exchange rates, for T-shirts up to 900 euros, or $1,291, for eveningwear.

The first collection, for spring 2012, spans a variety of women’s and men’s categories, including knitwear, tailoring and denim.

“We see Pierre Balmain as a new and distinct brand that is inspired by the successes and history of a great house, but offers a look and product that respond to the needs and desires of today’s marketplace,” Balmain chairman and chief executive officer Alain Hivelin told WWD. “We know that Ittierre, with its great expertise, experience and reliable quality, is the perfect partner for this new venture.

“Our goal is to position Pierre Balmain as a new global brand that will be established in all the key international markets,” he added.

Hivelin said the two collections remain part of the same brand universe, but with different outlooks.

Olivier Rousteing, who earlier this year succeeded Christophe Decarnin as Balmain’s head designer, will make the “quintessentially Parisian” main collection “even more sophisticated and couture-like — without, of course, renouncing that ‘roc’ aesthetic that has been so important for us these the last few years,” Hivelin explained. “The Pierre Balmain collection translates the codes of Balmain in a more casual and relaxed manner.”

He noted that Rousteing would concentrate exclusively on the Balmain label, while the new line will have its own separate design team.

Hivelin declined to give sales projections for the launch, but described large ambitions with “Pierre Balmain boutiques in all key international cities.”

The company plans to unveil a new Web site for the brand during Paris Fashion Week this fall, signaling a digital-based marketing strategy that will leverage social media.

wwd.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Hautechild :flower:.

Another Article :

BALMAIN'S diffusion line, entitled Pierre Balmain, will be available from December, and will carry knitwear, denim and tailoring for both men and women. Prices will start at £104 for a T-shirt, stretching to £795 for eveningwear.
"We see Pierre Balmain as a new and distinct brand that is inspired by the successes and history of a great house, but offers a look and product that respond to the needs and desires of today's marketplace," Balmain chairman and chief executive officer Alain Hivelin told WWD. "Our goal is to position Pierre Balmain as a new global brand that will be established in all the key international markets."
The luxury French fashion house announced plans for its secondary line in May this year. The label will be targeted at a younger customer and created by a new design team - a spokesperson for Balmain told us - and will not be overseen by the label's new creative director, Olivier Rousteing.
*Vogue.co.uk

"Pierre Balmain"? If Pierre knew about this he'd turn in his grave :shock:
Poor fit and horrible designs. The camouflage stuff looks tacky and the designs of the rest of the garments looks outdated in a way. Kind of 1999/2001-ish and not in the good way... rather Spice Girls like...

I was kind of excited but after seeing the pieces, I'm not thrilled. I can get more of a "Balmain" look from Zara, Diesel, G-star and many other brands for a better price and better fit.

Errm .. does all of his licensing deals have expired?

I think you can sill get Pierre Balmain dress shirts here (and from seeing those pictures, I think better quality than the clothes shown).

Speaking of quality, Im VERY concerned because they do look very cheap.. and with the history of Itierre or whatever you call it .. hum

We'll see .. the hype around this brand has been so much maybe people will still buy it no matter what..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imjustken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->