Pity Those Who Buy Fakes?

Leikochan

Reaction score
Do you feel sorry for those suckers who pay near-retail price for "100% authenticity guarenteed" bags on ebay? Or do you feel that it's the buyers fault for not researching the details that distinguish the real thing from the fake?

As for me, I don't feel sorry for the suckers. nope, not one bit. Designer handbags are expensive for one reason - the attention to detail and craftmanship that goes into creating the bag. People who buy fakes obviously don't appreciate how difficult it is to match patterns and seams. My guess is that the suckers are buying the bags as status symbols to impress their freinds, and to me, that's not what fashion and design is about.

Well that's just my two cents, what's yours?

Hum .. I think twas Lagerfeld who said:
"I dont worry about people who wear replicas ...people who wear replicas don't wear the real thing, and people who buy designer clothing/accesories don't wear replicas"
It's something like it ... I'm not quoting ... and to me, it seemed logic!

I also do not feel bad for people who purchase fakes....

But I also dont feel people are buying a lot of the things for craftsmanship either...
.... I dunno.. I'm not making sense.

I am torn. I don't feel sorry for them because maybe they are on Ebay because they can't afford the real thing and hey, if the is a cheaper one on Ebay, why the hell not? It stereotypical to say that everyone who buys stuff on Ebay is just out to show off because honestly, who doesn't like a good deal? I have been guilty of shopping around on Ebay myself. :innocent:

But on the other I hate the fact that I have to pay $780 for my mother's Vuitton looping bag when another person just picks one off Ebay, replica it may be. Or maybe I am just jealous?

Originally posted by luna@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 4:53 am
But I also dont feel people are buying a lot of the things for craftsmanship either...
I agree, sort of. But a lot of people also want quality as well as style. When I go shopping, I always check out whatever I find before I buy it; does the material seem good, are the seams straight, patterns matched? Is it washable by hand/machine or dryclean only? Etc. Maybe I'm overestimating people, but I think there actually are some savvy shoppers out there.

Anyway, I feel it's your own responsability to do some research before buying off e-bay... You can get scammed anyway, and those buyers have my sympathy.

First, let me start off by saying that sometimes I feel bad for people who buy fakes. I feel bad for the ones that buy the bags that are SO close, that you can't tell it's fake from the pictures :cry: . However, the ones I do NOT feel bad for, are the ones that buy to obvious disgusting fakes! It's their own fault for not researching it a little bit to find out what it's suppose to look like. EXAMPLE: Someone that buys a Murakami bucket bag :ninja: . I do not feel bad for this person because the style was never made!

Now, onto something else. Leikochan, you said that the suckers are buying the bags as status symbols to impress their friends. While I agree to a certain extent, the same goes for people who buy the real thing. Nobody can say that they buy a bag with huge logos all over it just because it's pretty. That would be a lie. LV for example. Yes, the craftsmanship is amazing, but anything in monogram sells much faster than anything without it. It's because people, (myself included), like people to know that they appreciate that designer, and sometimes, to show people that they can afford something so nice. When you're buying an expensive bag, you are mostly paying for the label, not the craftsmanship. It costs them pennies on the dollar to make what we pay upwards of $1,000 for. Because we are simply paying for the name. If Louis Vuitton was a little one shop company in the middle of nowhere, but still made their bags the exact same way, not only would we be paying hundreds less for the bags, but most people wouldn't even want them because the logo is not known, and noone else will know what it stands for.

That's my little mini rant for the day. :P

Originally posted by MurakamiPrincess@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 2:34 am
First, let me start off by saying that sometimes I feel bad for people who buy fakes. I feel bad for the ones that buy the bags that are SO close, that you can't tell it's fake from the pictures :cry: . However, the ones I do NOT feel bad for, are the ones that buy to obvious disgusting fakes! It's their own fault for not researching it a little bit to find out what it's suppose to look like. EXAMPLE: Someone that buys a Murakami bucket bag :ninja: . I do not feel bad for this person because the style was never made!

Now, onto something else. Leikochan, you said that the suckers are buying the bags as status symbols to impress their friends. While I agree to a certain extent, the same goes for people who buy the real thing. Nobody can say that they buy a bag with huge logos all over it just because it's pretty. That would be a lie. LV for example. Yes, the craftsmanship is amazing, but anything in monogram sells much faster than anything without it. It's because people, (myself included), like people to know that they appreciate that designer, and sometimes, to show people that they can afford something so nice. When you're buying an expensive bag, you are mostly paying for the label, not the craftsmanship. It costs them pennies on the dollar to make what we pay upwards of $1,000 for. Because we are simply paying for the name. If Louis Vuitton was a little one shop company in the middle of nowhere, but still made their bags the exact same way, not only would we be paying hundreds less for the bags, but most people wouldn't even want them because the logo is not known, and noone else will know what it stands for.

That's my little mini rant for the day. :P
Very honest and clear! :wink: Definitely agree with you!

i dont pity those who buy fakes at all :ninja:
its their decision.
my theory: whoever wants a genuine bag, get it from a boutique :wink:
the rest know what they are doing or at least i hope.
:flower:

i pity those that buyb fakes and act as they sport the real ones
and also those that spend all those money on IT bags,
because those become banal with all the copies around,
its like a vicious circle, nobody wins.

i dont pity those that get 'classic' designer bags,
or those that somehow inherit one :lol:

i dont pity vintage designer bag owners, those are my faves :heart:
by far (mainly from Hermes or MMM)

Hmmm, there is so much to agree & disagree with here... :huh:

First, I think people should do what they want to do. However, when I see someone carrying a fake I do feel sorry for them. I guess because I assume they think they are fooling people. Perhaps in their group of friends they are fooling people so I guess - whatever. :rolleyes:

I agree with ALMOST everything MurakamiPrincess said EXCEPT the part about anyone who says they like the look of logo bags is lying. I love the look of the monogram canvass LVs! I wear a lot of brown, so for me, it's perfect. I like the vernis and mono mat lines too. They are colorful, but have logos as well. I find their quality to be superior. I drag my monogram Montsouris backpack around everywhere and it looks like new. :flower:

I do feel sorry for people who purchase fakes on eBay--if they were duped. Why must sellers lie and try to take advantage of others? With that said, I do think it is foolish NOT to research the bag you are looking to purchase. :hardhead:

If you can't afford to purchase a bag at a boutique, why do you think that makes you a poser? Many people can afford to purchase from a boutique, but also are savvy with their money. I just purchased a brand new LV vernis Thompson Street bag from a consignment store for $550. It costs $800+ at the boutique. I'd say that was smart decision. I do have other designer bags and most of them I purchased at a boutique, so I don't see the difference.

Anyway, I think judging others who you don't know is elitist and wrong. I certainly do not see the need to use the adjective "suckers"... :sick:

I dont think much about it...and neither should u... seems unhealthy lol :lol:

But...dont think most people purchase high priced handbags b/c of the superior quailty...on a previous post many were talking about how diors girly items are of cheap quality...

Originally posted by DallasDiva68@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 9:43 am
Hmmm, there is so much to agree & disagree with here... :huh:

First, I think people should do what they want to do. However, when I see someone carrying a fake I do feel sorry for them. I guess because I assume they think they are fooling people. Perhaps in their group of friends they are fooling people so I guess - whatever. :rolleyes:

I agree with ALMOST everything MurakamiPrincess said EXCEPT the part about anyone who says they like the look of logo bags is lying. I love the look of the monogram canvass LVs! I wear a lot of brown, so for me, it's perfect. I like the vernis and mono mat lines too. They are colorful, but have logos as well. I find their quality to be superior. I drag my monogram Montsouris backpack around everywhere and it looks like new. :flower:

I do feel sorry for people who purchase fakes on eBay--if they were duped. Why must sellers lie and try to take advantage of others? With that said, I do think it is foolish NOT to research the bag you are looking to purchase. :hardhead:

If you can't afford to purchase a bag at a boutique, why do you think that makes you a poser? Many people can afford to purchase from a boutique, but also are savvy with their money. I just purchased a brand new LV vernis Thompson Street bag from a consignment store for $550. It costs $800+ at the boutique. I'd say that was smart decision. I do have other designer bags and most of them I purchased at a boutique, so I don't see the difference.

Anyway, I think judging others who you don't know is elitist and wrong. I certainly do not see the need to use the adjective "suckers"... :sick:
I didn't say that they're lying if they say they like the look, I said that they're lying if that's the only reason they buy it :flower:

I see many great points here. But i must say that i do feel sorry for the ones that think and TRUST sellers on Ebay that post items as "100% authentic/genuine, controlla card" etc, especially when it is so hard to tell. I do agree that the HOMEWORK must be done thoroughly. I dont see anything wrong with someone buying from Ebay, as long as they know what they are buying. People sometimes don't bother to check the finer details, i think they are more anxious to own the item, regardless of its authencity. For e.g a girl purchase a CD Top with the Map of America + nazi sign on it(i did a post recently on this). She said she didn't look too closely, therefore missing the very offensive nazi symbol. I contacted her and asked her several questions about the item, she said she bought it from another seller at the last minute and didnt notice the nazi sign(i still find it hard to believe- its was so loud!) she eventually told me that she didn't follow fashion and was not fashion savvy, i struck up a good conversation and she has asked if she could keep in contact with me, for help when buying off Ebay- i have welcomed her with open arms, because i think 1 less person walking around with a fake as well as lining a crooks undeserving pocket.

I have been fortunate with Ebay and dont see any shame it. Afterall it is a marketplace! Saying that i only tend to buy vintage designer bags, because i dont trust anything else. I dont think fakes were so forceful then, as they are now. If i need or want a recent designer bag, i will not hesitate to walk into a flagship store and buy one.

For those who dont care about buying fakes, and know the item is more likely to be fake - i feel not an iota of pity - i say GOOD LUCK to em. :lol:

I feel sorry for those who are so obsessed with labels that they spend $1,000 + on a handbag just because it has a certain name. I can think of far better things to do with that kind of money, especially considering the fact that in a year's time it will be out of style and they'll have to put it in the closet. I don't see anything wrong with buying a less-expensive knockoff-fashion is supposed to be fun and I hate the idea that it's only for people with lots of money to throw away.

btw, Karl Lagerfeld is full of :censored: My $3,000 Chanel dress (I paid $800 in a high-end consignment shop) fell apart after I had only worn it twice. If I spend any more money on over priced designer clothes someone should lock me up. :angry:

Originally posted by stylegurrl@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 1:25 pm

btw, Karl Lagerfeld is full of :censored: My $3,000 Chanel dress (I paid $800 in a high-end consignment shop) fell apart after I had only worn it twice. If I spend any more money on over priced designer clothes someone should lock me up. :angry:
Exactly... so I guess some of these high end.."high quality" products arent all what they are made out to be...

My apologizes to MurakamiPrincess. I read through the post quickly and did not mean to misquote you.

:flower:

Originally posted by leyla m.@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 6:34 am
my theory: whoever wants a genuine bag, get it from a boutique :wink:

exactly. ebay is just not made for such purposes.. :innocent:

Nothing is made to "last" anymore - its all about mass production and quick money. My Jackie O' - the stitching under the piston lock started coming apart, so i had to take it to the flagship store for them to send it off to repair it. This is why i decided to start collecting the older vintage models. I have a few and although they are 30+ years old, the only thing that is damaged is the inside lining and some marks around the edges- which is to be expected. :innocent:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->