Poll: how important are your looks to you

I consider myself average looking. I'm not ugly, and I don't think I have ugly features, but I just don't think I'm jawdroppingly beautiful. I don't wear any make-up at all as I don't think putting a bit of mascara and some blush is going to make me look any prettier than I do sans makeup, and besides I just consider it a waste of time. I mean, for three years I worked one of those crazy 18 hour/day jobs where how you look or are dressed isn't as important as how quick you can think, where I'd probably have been laughed out of work if I'd entered office wearing red lipstick and pumps, and being the only female working with unreconstructed and unabashed nerds who just couldn't be arsed about making an effort to look good, I was glad I didn't feel any kind of pressure to look all tarted up.

I did make a sh!tload of money, though.

As for how important my looks are to me... I guess I can say they aren't terribly important. I look after my skin off late, though, because three years of neglect has left it discoloured and dull and unhealthy. I'm not a complete ignoramus, and do take the trouble to slap on sunscreen and cleanse and exfoliate my face, but I'm just not that self-obsessed to get worked up over the odd zit or stretch mark.

Last edited by a moderator:
You really dug up an oldie but goodie here :wink: Some of the posts here make me really sad, but they're so old the posters are probably no longer here ...

I truly believe that compassion and kindness make everyone beautiful, and that meanness and smallness make anyone unattractive.

i think it is very important. not in a shallow way but what your attracted to might not be what im attracted to.

My looks are important to me, and I think I am very average - I find my face to be a piece of art when people take pictures of me, unfortunately it's Picasso. :P

I think a lot of us go through phases where we hate how we look and moments where we appreciate our uniqueness, things that make us, us.

I've been trying for a while now to remind me of this quote - some days it's harder than others - If you care what others think of you then you will always be their slave. Here's to giving myself some love! :wink:

I suppose my looks are very important to me. Honestly, I don't really think of it that way though. I take care of myself and work to look as good as I can, but I don't do so thinking that it is vitally important that I look good. I do it because I like to look good and because I feel a responsibility to take care of my body.

I felt very arrogant voting this option, but I think I'm very good looking. I like the way I look very much and I have received compliments in the past, so I'm quite confident in my appearance. I do have some flaws that I am working to correct and some that I can't; I'm certainly not perfect; but I'm fine with the flaws I have. However, one's looks don't matter if one is not a good person. It may be one of the most tired cliches in the world, but what's on the inside really is most important. It doesn't matter if someone is beautiful if they are a bad person. An unpleasant personality makes physical beauty irrelevant.

My looks are somewhat important to me, as I try and take a good care of my body, skin and hair. I didn't choose the first option 'very important' because if that was the case I would always try to look immaculate, which I don't. I can go out wearing no/minimal make-up or slightly greasy hair. It does not bother me.

I think that I'm also somewhat good looking. I, again, didn't go for the first option 'very good looking' because I know what suits me and what doesn't. I'm not one of those people who look beautiful with any hair colour or haircut.

It really breaks my heart to read some answers in this thread from people who have really felt held back because of their appearance. I believe self-acceptance and coming to terms with yourself is one of the most important things in life.

People tell me Im pretty but i have always thought otherwise. I don't think im ugly. I feel like im just normal looking and nothing special in the looks department but i am proud of my beautiful heart.

Bahahah the results really show we're on a fashion forum don't they..:lol: Also TFSers seem to have a high opinion of their looks..

As soon as I read the title, I thought "oh boy.."
It all boils down to caring too much about other's opinions about something subjective and superficial. Fashion related circles makes everyone in it an easy target. The brainwashing begins really early, and never stops, sadly. There is no definition of beauty, only tastes or preferences. Everyone has a different idea of beauty, even people that are into fashion. Take a look around the forums, threads like "Weird features YOU find attractive" prove it. But we are teached to like a certain look, and if you are not it, then you have to hide it, or alter it in order to make it look more like it, therefore better.
The way to fight this is to accept yourself as you are. Maybe you won't like yourself overnight, but if you embrace how you look, you are going to feel a lot better, no matter what anybody says. I might not like a lot of things about external aspects of myself, but I wouldn't be myself if I thought I was perfect either. On the other hand, I am very pleased with myself on an internal level. Therefore, I do not care into what superficial category I fit in.

The way I look is somewhat important to me. Mainly because I've got more important things to worry about :lol:
But obviously I care, that one of the reasons I'm on this forum I guess :wink:.

And I think I'm somewhat good looking. I've got some features that set me apart that don't make me the obvious kind of good-looking,
but I actually like that :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Riska21
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->