How To Determine Your Skintype/hairtype Etc...

Caramel

Reaction score
I'm a complete idiot when it comes to this, but I always read this in magazines on how to determine your skintype, hairtype, facial shape and all that stuff....but I can't seem to determine what I have :unsure: :wacko:
My skin for example, is usually dry, I sometimes get dry patches on my face, but at the same time I can get spots and a shiny forhead and cheeks.
And people have told me I have both oval, round and long face... :doh: I've no idea....

Maybe a weird question, but how can you easily determine what kind of skin or hair you have? I find it difficult to find the right products to use, when I don't really know what I'm looking for...

you sound like you have combination skin..

try L'oreal combination hydrafresh for a moisturiser

but use some gentle cleansing wipes to take off sweat/make-up

erm......as for face......i would say yours is oval

and your hair looks pretty normal to me.......try keihls range :wink:

Here's some advice my from beauty guru, Madame Jane Sebeyran:

Women are confused about their skin type. Their skin type is classified differently every time they visit a cosmetic counter. Therefore, they end up using beauty products not appropriate for their skin. In fact, each individual skin has some problem(s) which has to be considered beside the skin type in order to significantly improve the skin. Determining your skin type is the first step to improving your skin’s health and appearance.

The following is a guide to define the various skin types and the different problems found in each one. This information will help you to categorize your skin to select the correct products in my totally natural line.

Dry Skin: Every one is able to see and feel dryness. The skin is tight, lacks suppleness, fine lines around the eye area, upper lips as well as on the neck.

Dry, Dehydrated Skin: Floury look. The skin is dried out, rough, deep wrinkles on the face and neck at an early age.

Sensitive Skin: Fair, pale complexion, delicate. The skin is dry and has fine printed lines. Characterized by blotchy, irritated, redness, reacts to detergent and foaming lotion.

Mild Combination Skin: Lightly dry on the cheeks, lightly oily on the T-Zone (forehead, nose, and chin) oily.

Strong Combination Skin: Very dry cheeks, very oily T-Zone (forehead, nose, and chin) oily.

Oily Skin: Entire face is greasy. There will be many blackheads, pimples, acne, and large pores.

Seborrheic Skin: Extremely greasy skin, saturated with a constant flow of oily secretion. Characteristic: deep acneic bumps, many blackheads, and very large pores.

Note: Normal skin does not exist in adults. Puberty changes the perfect skin we are born with to the state of adult imperfection.

And here's some info from Paula Begoun

Understanding Skin Type

What is Skin Type?
Some women are quite aware of their skin type; for other women it’s a complete mystery, an elusive conundrum of changes that never settles down in one specific direction. That’s not to say understanding skin type isn’t important, because it is, but not in the way the cosmetics industry approaches it or the way we’ve been indoctrinated to think about it.

What I’m really saying is to forget about skin type as the cosmetics industry defines it. The rigid categories you find at cosmetics counters and the information about what your skin needs as analyzed by a salesperson are often wrong or at best incomplete. Skin type strongly influences our decisions about our skin-care routines.

The four most common skin types are:
Normal (no apparent signs of oily or dry areas)
Oily (shine appears on skin, no dry areas at all)
Dry (flaking can appear, no oily areas at all)
Combination (oily and dry or normal areas)
What Influences Skin Type?
Outside factors can and do influence the way your skin looks and feels. To effectively evaluate your skin and determine the correct skin-care routine, the following factors need to be considered:

Internal:
Hormonal changes (pregnancy, menopause, menstrual cycle, etc.)
Health problems (rosacea, psoriasis, thyroid disorders, etc.)
Genetic predisposition of skin type (oily versus dry, prone to breakouts, or sensitive skin)
Smoking
Medications you may be taking
External:
Climate/weather (cold, warm, moist, dry)
Your skin-care routine (over-moisturizing or exfoliating, using irritating or drying products)
Sun exposure
These complex integrated circumstances all contribute to what takes place on and under your skin.

Will My Skin Type Change?
Another problem with skin typing is the assumption that your skin (and skin type) will be the same forever, or at least until you age. That, too, is rarely the case. If your skin-care routine focuses on skin type alone, it can become obsolete the moment the season changes, your work life becomes stressful, or your body experiences hormonal or weight fluctuations or other physical changes, and whatever else life may bring.

To complicate things even more, in any given period you may have many skin types! Over the years, even when using gentle, irritant-free products, I’ve experienced irritated skin patches at the same time I had oily skin, or acne flare-ups along with dry skin around my eyes. It is not unusual for women to have a little bit of each skin type simultaneously or at different times of the month or week. An overview of how your skin behaves and changes is necessary to assess what your skin needs.

As far as the cosmetics industry is concerned, every woman can and should have normal skin. Yet acquiring normal skin is like trying to scale a peak with a slippery, precarious slope. Like the rest of our bodies, skin is in a constant state of change. Even women with perfect complexions go through phases of having oily, dry, or blemish-prone skin. In reality, no one is likely to have normal skin for very long, no matter what she does. Chasing after normal skin can set you up on an endless skin-care buying spree, running around in circles trying everything and finding nothing that works for very long.

In any case, identifying skin type is highly subjective. Many women have really wonderful skin but refuse to accept it. The smallest blemish or wrinkle or the slightest amount of dry skin distresses them. Or some women see a line or two around their eyes and immediately buy the most expensive anti-wrinkle creams they can find in the hope of warding off their worst imagined nightmare. This is one of those times where being realistic is the most important part of your skin-care routine.

Identifying your skin type is made even more difficult by the omnipresent combination skin. Almost everyone at some time or another, if not all the time, has combination skin. The nose, chin, center of the forehead, and the center of the cheek all have more oil glands than other parts of the face. It is not surprising that those areas tend to be oilier and break out more frequently than other areas. Problems occur when you buy extra products for combination skin because many ingredients that are appropriate for the T-zone (the area along the center of the forehead and down the nose where most of the oil glands on the face are located) won’t help the cheek or jaw areas. You may need separate products to deal with the different skin types on your face because you should treat different skin types, even on the same face, differently.

The most frustrating aspect of skin type is the fact that it’s often used (by cosmetics salespeople and by the cosmetics industry in its ads) to instill a sense of immediate need. Once your skin is classified as a type that isn’t normal, or if it stops being normal, then panic can set in. Cosmetics salespeople aim this ploy at the 30-something crowd, with the pitch sounding something like “You better do what you can do now to make sure your skin doesn’t get worse.” I’ve listened to or been personally subjected to a salesperson’s scolding about skin-care mistakes that destroy the skin. What destroys skin is unprotected sun exposure, smoking, and using irritating skin-care products. Not using the right skin-care products (other than a good sunscreen) may cause problems, but it does not damage skin in the long run.

Determining your skin type will not lead to answers to other skin care needs that may not be apparent on the skin’s surface. For example, sun damage is not evident when you are young, but sun protection is imperative for all skin types. Oily and dry skin that are present at the same time, along with some redness, may be an early sign of rosacea, a condition that cannot be treated with cosmetics and may not be easily diagnosed. Your skin may be breaking out now, but those blemishes took a few weeks to get to the surface. Breakouts begin in the pores, and may involve sebum (oil), cellular debris (dead skin cells), dead hair shafts, and/or bacteria. What you see on the surface of the skin does not always indicate the type of skin-care products you should buy, or even that you need a skin-care product at all.

Skin Type Has Nothing to Do with Your Age
Older skin is different from younger skin; that is indisputable. Yet it is a mistake to buy skin-care products based on a nebulous age category. Treating older or younger skin with products supposedly aimed at dealing with specific age ranges does not make sense because not everyone with “older” or “younger” skin has the same needs, yet it’s a trap many women (especially older women) fall into. An older person may have acne, blackheads, eczema, rosacea, sensitive skin, or oily skin, while a younger person may have dry, freckled, or obviously sun-damaged skin. Products designed for older skin are almost always too emollient and occlusive, and those designed for younger skin are almost always too drying. The key issue with skin type needs to be the actual condition of your skin, not your age.

All women, regardless of age, need sun protection and antioxidants, and possibly treatment of skin discolorations (either potential or existing), dry or oily skin, or breakouts. Wrinkles may tend to separate younger from older skin, but the care you give the skin doesn’t necessarily differ. Not everyone in their 40s and older has the same skin care needs. In a way it’s simple: You need to pay attention to what is taking place on your skin, and that varies from person to person.

Does Skin Color or Ethnicity Affect Skin Care?
All skin is subject to a range of problems, regardless of skin color or ethnic background. Whether it is dry or oily skin, blemishes, scarring, wrinkles, skin discolorations, disorders, or sensitivity, and even risk of sun damage, all men and women share similar struggles. So, while there are some distinctions between varying ethnic groups when it comes to skin problems and skin-care options, overall these differences are minor in comparison to the number of similarities.

According to an article in the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology (February 2002, pages 41–62) “There is not a wealth of data on racial and ethnic differences in skin and hair structure, physiology, and function. What studies do exist involve small patient populations and often have methodological flaws. Consequently, few definitive conclusions can be made. The literature does support a racial differential in epidermal melanin [pigment] content and melanosome dispersion in people of color compared with fair-skinned persons…. These differences could at least in part account for the lower incidence of skin cancer in certain people of color compared with fair-skinned persons; a lower incidence and different presentation of photo aging; pigmentation disorders in people with skin of color; and a higher incidence of certain types of alopecia [loss of hair] in Africans and African Americans compared with those of other ancestry.”

Thanks for the article tealady, very informative! :flower: I guess I have mild combination skin then...but I'm still not quite sure what type of products to use :unsure: . I have tried products for combinations skin, but they're not hydrating enough. I also used Clarins products for dry skin for a while, they were good in the winter, but now my face gets too oily. Should I just use products for normal skin? Or different products for different parts of the face? This is very confusing! :blush:
I've also heard that it's possible to have dry skin, with an oily layer on top. It's when the skin gets so dry, that it starts to overcompensate, and the skin appears to be oily...hmm...

As for my hair, I think it's normal, but I think I might have a sensitive scalp. It often itches, and recently it becomes easily greasy. Anyone know what I can do about that??

Well there are no end of people who will be happy to help you sort out what products to use. :wacko: All you have to decide is which one to believe! :lol: Generally speaking, I think one gets the best skin care products from the French. Just be sure it is a French company and doesn't just sound French.

If your scalp is itchy, it may be that you aren't rinsing all of the shampoo out of your hair. :huh: Or you might be shampooing your hair too often. Try Kiehl's Sport shampoo. It's very mild.

Skin Type Help

I really cannot tell what skin type I have. I've always thought it was "normal" type, but I read an article from a beauty expert that said there was no such thing, so now I'm confused.

My skin is definitely not dry or oily, and it doesn't have dry or oily patches. It's pretty much consistent throughout. I do get a wee bit of oil in the T zone area. Also, my skin is blemishy and I have alot of under-the-skin acne/blemishes, if that means anything. But over-the-skin breakouts aren't too common.

I'm caucasian, but I wouldn't say that my skin is necessarily pale. I really can't tell what "undertones" I have: to me, it just looks like one color. I have medium-to-dark brown hair and brown eyes.

Any advice would be helpful! :D

Hi saywhatknow,

Welcome to tFS :flower:

You didn't mention your age..If you are a teen, the problems you are describing (acne) sounds hormonal and something that'll pass with time. If you are indeed a teen I'd suggest you stick to a beauty regiment meant for teenagers.
You may also want to consult a beautician and have her examine your skin to determine what she'd call your skin type / her recommendations.

It sounds like you have slightly combination skin.

How old are you ?

sounds like combination skin to me....thats when its oily in the T-zone, but normal elsewhere

^ i've had similar scalp issues and i've been told it's everything from a poor PH balance in the scalp (aveda says) and yeast in the scalp (doctor.)
who to believe? ugh!

"fine lines around the eye area, upper lips as well as on the neck. "

But even infants have lines around their eyes and lips, so how you determine a regular skin folding line to a "fine line"?!

Another "line" im confused with is marionette lines, think Jolie for reference. Those lines around her mouth to me appear that way because her bones stick out prominetly in the face, causing the skin to dip where there is no bone, but according to estheticians those are signs of aging and people ask to get those filled in. Huh?! That looks like a naturally strongly-contoured face to me, not an aged one.

combination or dry skin?

i hope one of you beauty experts here may help me.......
my problem is, that i always had quite oily skin and pimples and so on....i went on birth control pill about one year ago.....at the beginning of this year i changed the birth control pill and i realized, that my skin was getting dry.....and now i am taking a creme with vitamin a in the evening to get rid of some imperfections i had (which are gone now) but it dries out the skin even more ........
so do i have combination skin or dry skin? (it was already dry before the vitamin a creme and i always had some bumps....maybe they came because my skin was so dry after the change of the birth control pill? is that possible?)
i have no idea for which skintype i should buy a moisturizer now......

I'd say go with whatever your skin looks like now, not what it looked like before the creams/pill.

From what I've heard (I have combo skin) is that for combination skin, you have parts of your face that are oily (like the forehead) and then parts of your face that are dry (like your cheeks).

But if you mostly have dry skin and no oily parts, then I assume 'dry' is your skin type.

On a sidenote: if your skin is prone to break out, you might want to look for a moisturizer that says it prevents pimples.

I'm no expert, but that's my take on the whole situation. Hope it helps a little :flower:

btw how do you determine the difference between pale skin and light skin?? what is the difference?!

I'm considering I may have combination skin, but it's a bit more complicated than that.

I have an oily t-zone, but I am far far far more likely to have acne on my cheeks and chin. In the winter I get dry in those areas, but not in the summer. I don't know why I break out on my cheeks, maybe I am oily all over and don't notice it? Or is it dead skin cells that make me break out? But if that were the case, I wouldn't break out in the summertime.. :unsure: uhh..

I would ask the advice of a dermatologist for the question of skin type, and a hair dresser for the hairtype.

WhiteLinen said:
I would ask the advice of a dermatologist for the question of skin type, and a hair dresser for the hairtype.

You would be surprised at some of the advice given by certain Dermatologists:shock: ...
Dont get me wrong , they are not all bad.
but many of them have got on the money train,
And are holding stock of this brand or that brand...
trying to become Estheticians.

ANYWAY !!.. Back to topic.
yes you have combination skin.
the best advice I can give you is, try to find a brand with little or no acohol.
and stick with it for at least 2 months before you give up.

I have visited several dermatologists in my time, and it is hard to find the right one but I don't think anyone of them have "got on the money train". All of those who I have visited have been real professionals. But maybe that is because I have used the public health services, which are free here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->