Raf Simons >creative director at Jil Sander

Lena said:
agreed tricotineacetat, her comeback collections were maybe her best ever
hard to follow up taking her place but i have faith in Raf, plus he's so hyped, he's destined to be a hit :wink:

Hyped, yes... I honestly think he can be very good, I'm just a little concerned he might not suit the JS style. Like Space said, if he keeps a clear head... But like I said I'm an optimist!

Lena, whereas I don´t have any doubts about the new Jil Sander menswear (this might be serious competition for Dior Homme, he?), I still hesitate to comment on the womens...

In case of Jil Sander, I always felt like this was a mayor loss in fashion, unlike Tom Ford at Gucci... It´s not that she didn´t do well, she actually left when I thought she added a lot more to her repertoire without giving up her vision completely. That´s why, from an artistic point of view, it was never one of those brands that demanded a turnaround...

Don´t get me wrong, I´m more than curious about Raf Simon´s view on womenswear but I will probably still miss Jil Sander at Jil Sander... regardless whom Bertelli is intending to hire.

Last edited by a moderator:
of course i understand and fully share your views, tott and trico :wink:

Lena said:
but i have faith in Raf, plus he's so hyped, he's destined to be a hit :wink:
Well I think "hyped" constitutes someone who receives unworthy praise. Zac Posen. Stella McCartney. Proenza Schouler. I wouldn't place Raf with these characters. He's talented. I know not everyone has to be in love with him but you can't deny that he's skilled and gifted in what he does.

I really want to see how Raf handles draping. I can't really imagine what kind of dress or skirt he would make. It's my guess it will be mostly strict tailoring and clever cutting and patterns like his menswear. I also wonder how he will run the Jil Sander atelier, it's in Germany right? He's going from a relatively modest company to a huge, well financed, and well resourced environment.

I first asked myself "what will the raf simons woman look like?" and then I realized that he will still be working with the Jil Sander woman. So I mean I sorta expect him to keep with those sensibilties just with a bit of Simon's cleverness and attitude, just a little.

Ooooh, yeah. Jil Sander menswear oughta be interesting. Am I the only one annoyed that they spelled his name wrong constantly in that article? Could a mod fix it in the title of this thread, please? :flower:

Let's hope that it's gonna be great and frankly, I have full trust in that :heart:

I'm not really denying the fact that he could be brilliant. Hell,he could even give Jil herself a run for her money....however I don't know what the work will be like. I mean being such an independent and free-spirited in his creativity,how will the design restraints affect him emotionally? Look what happened to McQueen at Givenchy...he got sick of being controlled after so many seasons and it was a reflection in the work and eventually his ultimate departure. I'm being pessimistic because this is an utter shock to me....I could have never imagined a designer from such an anti-establishment atmosphere(for which he was part of)such as Antwerp to Prada Group.

Scott said:
I'm not really denying the fact that he could be brilliant. Hell,he could even give Jil herself a run for her money....however I don't know what the work will be like. I mean being such an independent and free-spirited in his creativity,how will the design restraints affect him emotionally? Look what happened to McQueen at Givenchy...he got sick of being controlled after so many seasons and it was a reflection in the work and eventually his ultimate departure. I'm being pessimistic because this is an utter shock to me....I could have never imagined a designer from such an anti-establishment atmosphere(for which he was part of)such as Antwerp to Prada Group.

Exactly. :ninja:

this is so awesome :smile: but honestly, Bertelli will most likely somehow force him to quit in a few seasons I'm sure.

Scott said:

I read 4 articles on this today. Raf said that he is very excited and that he always loved Jil Sander's minimalism and he wants to see how he'll operate in this vein. So I don't see him rocking the boat at all. As a matter of fact his cutting skills are perfect for the job, so I see a total fit there. And if he doesn't like it at Prada, he'll quit - as simple as that. There won't be emotional connections that Jil and Helmut had to face by leaving their own brands. I'm very happy for him and I hope he'll do great.

Faust, I was waiting for your opinions on this issue:-)

nqth said:
Faust, I was waiting for your opinions on this issue:-)

Thanks :flower: I STILL don't think that there will be a major turn around for Jil or Helmut without them EVER, so Raf gets to have all the fun while Bertelli gets to lose more money. Yippie!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->