Prada Clothing + Prada Jacket = Faux Fur

I like this, good for you Miucca. I mean why slaughter poor animals, this is the 21st century, we have technology to create faux fur which mimics real fur in look, texture, etc.

i suspect the change to faux fur was her husband's idea to make even more money...

hum...the article didnt say that she gave up leather, it only stated she gave up fur.
i was on the anti-fur PETA site last week and read this there and they didnt say whether she gave up leather or not, only fur.
im happy that she gave up fur...maybe we will really see some change since she joined in, whether it's for bussiness or not, it's still something positive.
honestly...i can picture her giving up leather as well. just because prada was built on leathergoods, doesnt mean it should be restricted to the whole "forver-leather" thing. times are changing, nothing stays forever.
back in the days, there werent many or any material as wearable and durable as leather, so it was understanble to use leather. but now technology is changing everything, and if prada can develope or use re-placeable materials, shouldnt it be a good thing?

anyways...fur is excess. there's no need to wear fur

Last edited by a moderator:
well all i can say is there is absolutely no way Im going to be spending $600-$1000 on shoes that are NOT leather. Unless they want to drop those prices way down (which i doubt they will) then I cant see a justification for luxury-good priced synthetics.

ilaughead said:
^What are you talking about!!?! I'm sure it costs hundreds (of yen:(wub: to produce those nylon bags!

:lol:
:shock: ... did somebody say yen>?!! :innocent:

Hmmm, I just worked on an exhibit on furs in fashion this past year.

I mentioned this to my professor. She's not convinced faux fur will have the same appeal, but times are changing. I'm certainly against animal cruelty but not exactly for animal rights. I would love to see the savage treatment involved in the fur industry come to an end but seriously, ain't nothing like the real thang, you know what I mean?

It's odd Prada is doing this after recent collections filled with fur used in the most unholy of ways. I wonder if her faux-furs will hack it when in a few years the fur trend comes back in full swing. Any hooplah this new switch gets is moot as far as I'm concerned, it's not like Stella Mcartney hasn't been animal free for like forever.

My problem with the synthetic fabrics is that until they get easy to achieve, they're gonna cost a lot!
the same with the fake fur, I mean, enterprises are always trying to make more money, that's the only goal, and I'm sure they are gonna do some campaign saying you should buy the NEW fur, because it is better for the planet.
But I'm sure, I repeat, it is gonna cost twice or three times more!
Until now I haven't sensed any synthetic fabric that can top a natural one!
am I getting old?

Hehehe she's so ridiculous, she's so desperate because nobody sees her as a "real" fashion icon.
Fake fur? bla bla bla. it will be overpriced. Oil (although becoming more and more expensive) is nuts. Just look at the prices of her nylons bags (which are, moreover, nearly entirely made in china).

That's the same with the fake pearls necklaces (Dior :P ) which are nearly priced just like a Mikimoto one (ok I'm not fair, but honestly, I'm not that far from the truth) and after they try to justify it by saying that Coco herself like faked jewels. Nuts nuts nuts :angry:

Hum ... its weird ... Ill have to admit I didnt expect it even though it def seems the logical step for Prada to try to conquer the world *plays Pinky and the Brain song*

Anyhow ... Im a bt tired of reading and hearing how Miuccia is light years ahead, blah blah blah ...

Ok .. keeping on topic, Im a bit more fond of faux fur cuz isnt smelly and definitively outlasts real fur ... the BIG BIG BIG problem is paying for a couple of hundreds of shoes who arent made of leather ... Ill have to admit, I love the new leather shoe smell .. its like a prize to me when spending on it ... Im not sure about this move ... Prada does earn by the bulk with the whole logo-whored synthetic bags and stuff, but this on shoes? I mean on bags Miuccia at least can work the new material thingie bringing something new by having something different ... still ... will have to wait til I see the line

While I dislike PETA (even as a vegetarian, I still disagree with their ethics) I do like the idea of a major label embracing faux-fur instead of the real deal. I could see this having great repurcussions, but it does worry me that instead of just working independently to announce the new vision, Prada is teaming up with an organization that puts a sour taste in so many mouths. This could do a lot to ruin their reputation, and that makes me pretty uncomfortable- by wearing faux-fur Prada, you're also making a statement that you support a company that has teamed up with reactionary, visceral activists.

ilaughead said:
So does anyone think that Prada will price the faux-furs at similar prices to real fur just to create the image that the customer isn't substituting it for the real thing, but instead investing in a different material?

i say teh faux furs will be even more expensive than the real ones:
-they are 1season pieces-trendy
-they require "advanced technology" to look as good as a real one would
- and it's also sort of a revenge from miuccia. something like "if you want me to do faux-furs u'll have to pay a lot for it"B)

great post, and many solid points.:flower:

is there a thread here dedicated to organic/green clothing lines? i've been looking around and trying to find out more about what's available.

i think, as consumers, we have to accept that ethical practices will probably cost more, out of pocket, in the short term. outsourcing, factory farming, cut rate resources from third-world countries, decimating species for fur - all of these things have a higher cost, ultimately, to the planet. so if we think in the long term it's not so hard to see which way to go.

I see your point.
But remember, a great deal of chemicals must be used in the production of real fur...to stop it decomposing etc, much like leather I assume.

If people have a problem with the environmental impact synthetic fibres carry, then they should all stop wearing cotton. It is afterall, the most environmentally disastrous fibre. Hence the rise in organic cotton use.

Going back to Prada, it is a decision that is addressing one problem, the ethical treatment of animals. It may not be the reasoning behind the decision, but it is a result because of it. Ultimately it is completly unreasonable for everyone to be satisfied by any descision these days, but perhaps we should focus on the positive.

Just a thought...:blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
modeket
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->