Prince Ranier dies at the age of 81

CelineChic

Reaction score
http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2005/04/06/princerainier/

6 APRIL 2005

After years of battling poor health, Prince Rainier of Monaco has died aged 81.

Prince Rainier, who began his lengthy reign of the tiny principality in 1949, died at 6.45am on Wednesday in the Monaco Cardio-Thoracic Center after battling heart and breathing problems for several weeks.

Rainier, who was one of the world's longest-reigning monarchs, was hospitalised on March 7 with a chest infection. He was transferred to intensive care on March 23, after his condition took a sudden turn for the worse. "We were thinking that he was going to be out of the hospital by the middle of this week," admitted a palace spokesman at the time. "When you are in intensive care, it's always serious."

In the days before his death, the prince's children, Albert, Caroline and Stephanie, rushed to his bedside as his health began to deteriorate. Last week, the palace confirmed Rainier had been placed on a respirator in intensive care and was suffering from cardiac and kidney problems.

The octogenarian's failing health had kept him from a number of official occasions over the past months, including November's National Day celebrations and the annual Christmas gift handout for children at the palace. He made a difficult recovery, however, and in January was moved to tears after a huge crowd of his subjects honoured him with a prolonged round of applause at the opening of Monte Carlo Circus Festival.

Increasingly frail, Rainier had required numerous hospital stays over the past decade. The Monegasque royal, whose 1999 heart surgery was followed by two more operations in 2000, spent nearly a week in hospital suffering from flu symptoms in 2003. He was admitted to a clinic in early 2004 for general fatigue, and underwent treatment for a coronary lesion in February of that year.

Now, with Rainier's long battle with illness at an end, Monaco is preparing to say goodbye to their beloved ruler.

Prince Rainier is survived by his son, Prince Albert, daughters Princesses Caroline and Stephanie, and seven grandchildren. His wife, Princess Grace neé Grace Kelly, died in a car crash in 1982.

the poor man...he was one of my favorite princes...may he rest in peace

I always loved the whole fairy tale story of the Prince of Monaco and his movie star bride from America. Sadly this one didn't have a happy ending.

^me too:cry: .
rainier-dop2a.jpg

rainier-dop1a.jpg

may he rest in peace :cry: :cry:

purplelucrezia said:
:( What's with everyone dying at once?

I've notced that also.

Mother Teresa died 5 days after Princess Diana died
Ray Charles died the same week Ronald Reagan died
Prince Ranier just a few days after the pope.

There are other moments where this has happened but I can't remember the people.

his grandson Andrea...HOTTTTT..cannot wait till he is prince..too bad it will probably be when hes like 60..

purplelucrezia said:
Terri Schiavo, the Pope, Prince Ranier now...

Well Terri Schiavo was a nobody. No one would have ever noticed that she died if the politicians hadn't gotten involved.

Although her death is rather significant so wasn't really someone who was recognized before her tragedy.

I_Want_That_One said:
his grandson Andrea...HOTTTTT..cannot wait till he is prince..too bad it will probably be when hes like 60..

Wow, that was so NOT the moment to say such things. :rolleyes:

Do you go to funerals of women and say of the widower " Her husband is HOTTTT can't wait for him to start dating again..too bad it will take him time to get over his wifes death" ?

:( So long Prince Ranier.:cry: but lets face it; andrea is gorgeous. Im sure Ranier wouldnt mind her saying that. ^_^

CelineChic said:
Wow, that was so NOT the moment to say such things. :rolleyes:

Do you go to funerals of women and say of the widower " Her husband is HOTTTT can't wait for him to start dating again..too bad it will take him time to get over his wifes death" ?

hmm ur probably right...good timing isnt my strong point...although i dont think its quite the same as saying that ^ to a widower..i was in no way wishing that he died or something

^he was and he was also the longest reigning monarch in europe

He seemed like such a great man and leader. And my idol's husband. I loved their love story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Calvin Stark
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->