77639B1FDD734177D11466C93EDCE_large.jpg

2506476192_a1f23f10bb_o_large.jpg

tumblr_lhezpre5u91qzi1ujo1_r8_500_large.png

tumblr_li548jQL5H1qab1glo1_400_large.jpg

tumblr_lkexrdKDVJ1qh5q5qo1_500_large.jpg

tumblr_lkf65fvVMn1qgi35zo1_r1_500_large.jpg

tumblr_lkk2ljRQsN1qjajd3o1_500_large.jpg

ultimate7_large.jpg

Lovely new Diana pics! I especially like the ones with the boys!

I'm finishing reading "Diana, Queen of Style," by Jackie Modlinger. What strikes me is how well many of her state gowns hold up. Even though they were designed for specific country tours with specific cultural elements in mind, they still look glamourous and timeless despite the "limitations" imposed upon them.

while watching her son get married i couldnt help but feel a tad sad b/c of the late diana! sigh

I love those old photos of her with Charles, she seemed to try really hard to be "The Princess" but had such a graceful elegance to her that just surpassed it.

I'll always love the princesses style. While some outfits wouldn't work well today, overall I think her style is rather timeless. Also, I was just reminded about the exhibit they had at Kensington Palace of some of her gowns in 2007 (it was called A Princess Remembered). I was lucky enough to see it when I was in town and I can remember it brought tears to my eyes while walking through the exhibit seeing all of these outfits which I had always seen in photographs of Princess Di. The gowns were marvelous and it was truly one of the nicest fashion exhibits I've ever seen. I grew up admiring the Princess (didn't we all?) and it's weird how she's influenced me- from caring about human rights, to style, and even this exhibit played a part in my life. It's actually one of the main reasons why I'm getting a degree in Museum Studies because I hope to curate exhibits just as lovely as the one I saw at Kensington Palace. But anyways... here's always to a the late, great Princess! ^_^

I'll always love the princesses style. While some outfits wouldn't work well today, overall I think her style is rather timeless. Also, I was just reminded about the exhibit they had at Kensington Palace of some of her gowns in 2007 (it was called A Princess Remembered). I was lucky enough to see it when I was in town and I can remember it brought tears to my eyes while walking through the exhibit seeing all of these outfits which I had always seen in photographs of Princess Di. The gowns were marvelous and it was truly one of the nicest fashion exhibits I've ever seen. I grew up admiring the Princess (didn't we all?) and it's weird how she's influenced me- from caring about human rights, to style, and even this exhibit played a part in my life. It's actually one of the main reasons why I'm getting a degree in Museum Studies because I hope to curate exhibits just as lovely as the one I saw at Kensington Palace. But anyways... here's always to a the late, great Princess! ^_^
She is the reason I decided to join the red cross at 12 years old and also one of the reason I decided to become a doctor. She inspired me beyond words too :flower:

I have so many pictures of her. From rare/candid to very iconics ones. Sadly very few of them are in HQ but one day I'll try to post them all (hopefully very soon since I saw some were not posted here). Does anyone know an hosting website where I can just upload a whole file/zip? I have more than a thousand pictures of her and it'd take too long to upload them all one by one.

^Oh that's an amazing story! I love that she still influences people even after all these years. Such an inspiration! Perhaps TinyPic, Flickr, or ImageShack would work? Sorry I don't know much about hosting websites.^_^

princess%20di%20newsweek-604974628_v2.grid-5x2.jpg

today.com
This weeks Newsweek cover of Princess Diana and Princess Catherine.

Not gonna lie... this cover really creeps me out. Newsweek digitally altered photograph's and computer generated what the princess might look like if she was still alive. And it's quite eerie to look at. But I still love the late great Princess, it's just a shame the mag couldn't go with a better image to honor her on her 50th birthday.

Ok, so I have a question to ask: when did Princess Diana become a style icon?

I ask, because I have 3 books on her style, and have read several others, and all of them seem to say the same thing: she was always a fashion rock star, but her style didn't really become top-notch until her last 2 years. Re: it was always great, but then it became fabulous. But she was always considered an icon.

I also ask because in the Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge thread, it keeps being brought up that Diana only became a style the last 2-4 years of her life (which contradicts all the Princess Diana fashion/style books I've read).

(I personally agree with the style books because Diana wore a LOT of looks that became iconic in the late 1980s-early 1990s--think the John Travolta dress, the Elvis dress, the Divorce dress, etc--and not just in her last 2 years of life. But I'm still wondering because it seems to be a common theme on the forum that Diana wasn't fashionable or iconic until 1995-1997.)

I think Diana's style was fashionable in her early years because it was the 80's and everyone was wearing those types of looks. However now that the 80's styling is out some of her outfits can seem rather dated to people. I think many people who only think she became a style icon in the last years of her life think this because a lot of the looks could still be worn today and be in fashion. But I think many of the people commenting on Catherine's forum about Diana find that Catherine is a style icon because she's had some standout looks which seems fresh whereas Diana's looks are dated. I mean, many of us wouldn't dare to wear some of Diana's dresses now days, but that doesn't mean she's not iconic. She will always be an icon no matter what era. I hope what I wrote made sense... It's late and I'm tired.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Diana's style was fashionable in her early years because it was the 80's and everyone was wearing those types of looks. However now that the 80's styling is out some of her outfits can seem rather dated to people. I think many people who only think she became a style icon in the last years of her life think this because a lot of the looks could still be worn today and be in fashion.

Ah, that explanation makes sense. No wonder why I had to ask the question---because I don't think of fashion in terms of what is wearable, contemporary,similiar to today. I consider it through a historic lense. True, many of Diana's looks seem date, but if you look carefullly, one can find the over-the-top bows, flounces, and big-*** ballgowns in today's fashion. It's more streamlined, or patterned and/or cut unusually, but it's not different from what came before.

An example: Gossip Girl's Blair Waldorf seasons 1-2 style. For all it's pared-down modernity, it's essentially Princess Diana's look from the early romantic stage (circa 1981-1984) to Dynasty Di (1984-1988ish). (Blair's fashion projectory is strangely mirroring Diana's. Just as Diana's style from 1989-1993 was considered too safe, old, mumsy at times, so is Blair's in seasons 3-4.)

Another example: Sonja Morgan (star of Bravo's Real Housewives of NYC franchise) The prissy, romantic frills that so encapuled Diana's very early wardrobe are found in hers.

I agree completely with you Wild Roses, I too try to look at fashion through a historical lens rather then what's trendy at this moment in time. Which is why I think so many of Diana's looks aren't really dated if you look at it from a historical view point. And just like you mentioned, many aspects of garments Diana wore can still be in fashion to day. While I would necessarily wear all of Di's outfits I still appreciate them for the aesthetics at least.
One thing which I think Diana did really well was wearing garments which fit the occasion. Especially when she traveled abroad on state visits. She always carefully chose looks which were respectful to the people and the area she was visiting. Making sure to wear the right colors, and correct style of dress, yet still maintain her own style. Which is something I think many women traveling abroad (political, royal, or otherwise) should remember.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->