Recovery : A Former Shopaholics Thread

^thanks! i have to pay off the debt of the last months of consumption-orgy.

and the only way to stop is to create discipline.

you are so right-- "you can always live with less"!!

Staying away from online shopping has been the biggest key for me.

I haven't made an online purchase since February. And I haven't purchased anything from the shops since May.

But its always difficult with a new season around the corner. I'm already dreaming of new summer slip dresses and sandals... but I must resist.

I admire you. I've been shopping like crazy recently. It sounds silly but I can't believe how hard quitting is, it really feels like an addiction, like gambling or drugs...

in a way i needed to get it out of my system, and then the austerity can begin!

especially for fall i generally have to buy a few big ticket items-- boots, a coat, a new bag, a statement necklace, etc.

it adds up. though, and i didn't realize until this month how many thousands my fall shopping spree amounted to.

so from now on it's the one fashion item per month rule. even though i need to pay off some debt first, i can feel the surge of money in my account from not constantly nipping into it with DESIRES beyond NEED.

I have set myself a goal to save as much money as I can until March/April next year. I may be moving countries (and continents!) so I will need it.
So far last month I've been very good, I only slipped up with a smartphone (but it was a great deal!) and skincare/make-up (large part of it was necessities).

party vixen, that is impressive. Well done!
I'm really craving a bunch of new stuff. I feel like my style has taken a bit of a new direction. So i really feel like i need some pieces to accompany it. The thing is. I have the money, which is a first. but i'm moving in a month so i really need them for that.
Posted via Mobile Device

i went off the wagon but i got some amazing stuff and some amazing deals so i feel like i'm being rewarded for good behaviour...

:P...:innocent:...

i have a few more things on my wish list...
but something is stopping me from pulling the trigger...
which is a good sign...
it means i am still in control...

:muscles:...^_^

i have a few more things on my wish list...
but something is stopping me from pulling the trigger...

i hem and haw about a lot of items. sometimes good deals pass me by and an item from a previous season sticks in head for years...:cry: and by then its difficult to find the item...

i'm currently hemming and hawing about a longer length all saints leather biker jacket for a few months now. looks like something from the film alain delon/marianne faithfull movie "girl on a motorcycle". i've been considering it for months. i dont have a jacket in this exact length.

but i need to decide quickly as all saints regularly pulls items from my local store and sends it to higher volumes stores out of state where it may sell faster.

i'd rather not waste time hemming and hawing and wasting time debating.

i hem and haw about a lot of items. sometimes good deals pass me by and an item from a previous season sticks in head for years...:cry: and by then its difficult to find the item...

i'm currently hemming and hawing about a longer length all saints leather biker jacket for a few months now. looks like something from the film alain delon/marianne faithfull movie "girl on a motorcycle". i've been considering it for months. i dont have a jacket in this exact length.

but i need to decide quickly as all saints regularly pulls items from my local store and sends it to higher volumes stores out of state where it may sell faster.

i'd rather not waste time hemming and hawing and wasting time debating.
what i usually do in cases like that is take the item home and try it on with stuff in my closet
compare it will other things i already own that are similar...
etc...

that usually helps me to make the final decision and if i don't like it, i can always take it back...
but if it's gone, then i'm out of luck and it may haunt me, as you say...

good luck deciding...
:flower:

back on the wagon...
the more i shop, the more i realize how much i love what is already in my closet...
and the less i want to buy anything...

who would have thought that shopping more would actually help me to buy less...?!...

:P

back on the wagon...
the more i shop, the more i realize how much i love what is already in my closet...
and the less i want to buy anything...

who would have thought that shopping more would actually help me to buy less...?!...

:P

ha ha ha..i feel like this whenever i walk through H&M...i do a loop around the store and realize what utter dreck the wares are. and how great the stuff i already own is.

its a cure for what ails ya.

My shopaholic tendencies are coming out with all the Black Friday deals being waved in front of me... :lol: Definitely tempted to do some impulse buying. Then again I'm moving cross country soon and it would be quite a hassle to have more junk to move. I'm awful around Christmas time too though, because I always want to buy each person several gifts, and it adds up so easily... :blush: It is too, too easy to spend money!

i use black friday to get deals on regular stuff like an electric toothbrush or something like that...
:P...

that way i satisfy my shopping craving, but i'm still being practical and fiscally responsible...

I feel like I really, REALLY need to write in this thread. I belong here. :D
I've been completely obsessed with shopping ever since I had some spare money to spend. Even as a teenager and even a child, everytime I got some money my mentality was to spend, spend, spend. Now I'm really trying to resist this urge and save some money or at least buy items I know I'll love for years. There's some great advice in this thread already and I'm in the process of unsubscribing to newsletters from some stores, I'll only leave the ones where I shop the most. Other than that, I have some new support from my BF and his family, who are all savers, unlike my family, who really lives from month to month... I think it would be great to save up for something I've wanted for ages, it would really give me a sense of accomplishment and I would feel good knowing that I can actually do it! After that, I'll save up for something bigger. Right now I'm saving for a Chanel perfume (still choosing between Chance, Coco Noir and Coco Mademoiselle, though I'm leaning towards Chance as it's the most spring appopriate) and a McQueen skull scarf. :blush: I don't care if it's not in fashion or whatever, it would be a staple in my wardrobe and I've wanted one for years.

In the meantime, I'll try to limit my book and beauty buying, because it has seriously gotten out of hand. I will only buy things I need and try to use what I already have. That means I'm set as far as skincare and makeup are concerned, until spring comes around, then I might invest in a new lipstick and some nail polish. As far as books go... I'll stop going to my local bookstore and only buy online, because that will limit my impulse purchases. When I shop online I do a lot more research and really think through my purchases (this goes for clothes as well).

Wish me luck! :flower:

I think it's quite difficult for a student who is working and can spend this earned money on whatever one wants, without having to worry about paying for basic things, such as food, bills etc.
In the last year or so my priorities have changed a lot since I discovered there is no piece of clothing that can be worth more than traveling, having a great time with my boyfriend and friends or even essential stuff (drivers licence in my case).
I really have a different perspective on spending my money now, I don't have that urge to get rid of it immediately when I get it, and even when I want to buy something I really make sure that is for the thing I truly love and will love it for a couple of upcoming years.

Thank you for the lovely post, Jinadaze. :flower: I really need to put things into perspective. It happens really often that I spend all of my money and don't even have enough for lunch at work... I'm really embarassed admitting this, but it's the truth. I usually don't even have enough for going to dinner, let alone the cinema, or the theatre... It's terrible, and it has really affected my social life. I don't know how I could let it get to this point. I feel really down. :(

I agree with Jinadaze so much. I love beautiful (and expensive) clothes and love spending money on clothes, beauty products and books, too; and I rarely ever have regrets because it's something that I enjoy and I treasure most of my purchases from the last few years. But it also affected my social life for a while because there was not much money left for doing expensive things with my friends or even just going to restaurants or anything, but that didn't actually bother me. But now that I'm about to graduate from University and have other, more important things to focus on, shopping has really descended on my priorities list. I think once you have something you feel like is worth saving up for you won't find it quite as difficult anymore to resist the urge to buy things you don't need because there will be something that you want so much more! ^_^ I have bought two sweaters in the last 6 months (because I really needed them) and absolutely nothing else and I don't have any shopping withdrawals at all. Proud of myself, I have to say!
I'm sorry you feel down, Juliette, but it looks like you have a strong will to change something about your situation and I'm sure you will be fine. :flower:

Must admit that I'm not as bad as what I used to be either. I remember studying at art school and heading into town, straight for H&M and buying whatever stood out. Although I did admire the items I bought, it was a case of whether I needed them or not. I didn't need anything.. having two rails and a double wardrobe at home, full.

As time went on, I just started to notice how I never spent as much and never ventured out shopping all that much. I still visit the mall, I don't totally deprive myself, but now when I purchase something it's because I'll wear it. My parents, most of the time, treat me to a few nice things, so I guess that's a bonus.

Personally speaking I think it's a question of time. I also think not being a one for the latest trends or wanting the latest designer item has helped. I'm perfectly satisfied with a sweater from H&M or Zara.

Thank you for the kind words, Psylocke. :flower: I feel a bit better now, partially because I was really good on a shopping trip today and only got what I planned or REALLY needed, and partially because the things I bought lately have really been serving me well! I think I'm well on my path to recovery, I've already started to shop in a more organized way and I feel much more content. :smile:

@Juliette: I think that admitting that you want to spend your money on other things as well is one of the first step. Previously I would rather have nice clothes and stay at home instead of going to dinner. It didn't bother me. It would now. You can do it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
todayfendi
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->