Relocating? ... Housing, Rentals, Apartments, Flats & Roomates

I've just got to say that this is a fantastic thread! Thanks everyone! :D

I'm thinking of moving to NYC this coming year and am also looking for housing options. Safety and location are number one for me, so all this info is really helpful!

Almost forgot... this is a great map I stumbled onto that I think does a great job of describing the different areas in Manhattan for those who are looking:

http://strangemaps.files.wordpress.com/2006/09/nyc.gif
nyc.gif

Hey I have a question to all of those individuals who moved to really expensive cities like New York without barely any financial help...how did you do it??

^^ i'm not currently in NY but plan on moving in the future. when i get bored at work i like to check out rental sites - to be in the know and for future references :blush:

what type of accommodations are you looking for? a room or studio?

i find craiglist to be pretty good as well but i find you get some "peculiar/creepy" posts once in awhile. so beware and be cautious but that usually goes without saying :flower:

Hey just to jump in and say that a lot of the London universities do open up their halls for the holidays. I stayed in some LSE accomodation for a week that was really reasonably priced.

Oh thanks, that's actually really useful to know!

Does anyone know if Hong Kong have anything similar - affordable, safe student style accommodation? Or will the only option be serviced apartments (the price will be :S though... )

I just received a response from New York Habitat regarding their process and fees. In case anyone is interested, this is what they say:

After I have some information about you and your requirements, I send you proposals. If you see any that you like, let me know. At that point you can visit or speak with the owner/roommate. You can see as many apartments as you like. We charge a fee only if you take one. Depending on the client ( you), I can close a deal in as little as 24 hours.

If you would like to proceed, I would need to know a little more about your requirements; can you please confirm your information by answering the questions below. This would be important for matching you to an apartment and roommate..

* Your monthly budget for rent
* Your preference is to share with: a male / a female / either
* Your age
* The purpose of your stay: Tourism, studies, business…name and address of company or school
* You are a smoker: Yes / No
* You are willing to share with a smoker: Yes / No
* You have a pet: Yes / No. If so, please indicate the type.
* You are willing to share an accommodation with pets in the apartment: Yes / No
* You have allergies: Yes / No. If so, please indicate what type.

The above information is very important to match you with the best possible apartment and roommate.
Keep in mind that there is NO FEE for receiving proposals. We charge a fee ONLY when you find the right opportunity for you.

If this is the case, our agency fee is calculated as follows:

RENTAL PERIOD ------------------------------------------------------------ FEE
From 1 week to less than 1 month ------------------------------------ 35% of total rent
From 1 month to less than 6 months ---------------------------------- 50% of one month's rent
From 6 months to less than 12 months ------------------------------ 75% of one month's rent
1 year or more ------------------------------------------------------------------- One month's rent

* NOTE: FOR RENTALS OF 1 MONTH OR LONGER, THERE IS A MINIMUM AGENCY FEE OF $300

I think it's very reasonable for NY!

fotogenic - I think it's difficult. I was fortunate that my parents helped me out a lot and I got some of my university fee's but when I first moved to London I was not the brightest crayon in the box and didn't work at all because I hadn't ever really encountered temping. When you move to a new (big) city, temping is your friend. It helps you meet people and earn cash asap. Other than that I would suggest living in a hostel or some place similar while you house hunt.

i'm going to NYC on March 24, just for a couple of days.
trying to get a field of the land. make sure I like it, before i make the jump.
i'm going to be staying in Chelsea, but i'm going to do some research to see what part of town I like best and can afford, when I finally make the move. i'm very cautious. :lol:

are there other housing options near midtown? I HATE the NYU residence staff. They are the most pompous people I have ever talked to in my life! I applied 6 weeks ago and still nada! Sorry didn't mean to rant it's just that I think it is ridiculous! You'd think that after 6 weeks they would at least tell you if have a chance or not but no, the only thing they say is that "we have so many applicants and there is no way I am going through them just to give you an idea of when you'll receive info about the application." Are people actually allowed to talk like that @ NYU? I mean that's their job they don't get paid to just sit and answer the phone and insult people, or do they? UGHH!!! Again I apologize, for the rant. Anyway, any suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
young_princess have you looked at The Webster? I believe it may have been mentioned a few pages back.

Meanwhile any advice on student/affordable (ie cheap) housing in Hong Kong? :D

I'd like to get in touch with someone who has relocated or is planning on relocating to London :flower:
It looks like I'll be moving there next year, to pursue work in the fashion magazine field, and I need all the tips I could get..

Last edited by a moderator:
that's perfect, thanks! nylonbits
is there any areas i should watch out for ?
like areas that are not very well-liked.. seedy, dirty, dark, industrial areas...
we have those in vancouver, so i'm assuming it's the same there :ninja:
i'll be visiting centre de textiles contemporains ^_^
your best bet for montreal would probably be craigslist or classifieds on the mcgill university website http://www.mcgill.ca/classified/
a lot of students sublet their places for the summer!~ hope that helps :rolleyes:

and for toronto i would say check out the classified ads or student housing pages for the universities/colleges in toronto

I found a studio in london near russell square for 453p a week. Me and my bf are planning to stay for 6 to 8 weeks so we'll share the rent.I've looked up gumtree but there's nothing better and most of the university residence halls are already booked!
What do you think?

Hmm, I wish I could move to NYC. But unfortunately that's almost impossible, unless you find a job there before moving :( Why must it be so difficult for Europeans to move to the US!

ok, so i got back and found a couple of spots i could definitely see myself in.
life is different than what i'm used to, but i can deal with.
plus my job offer just fell through in Tokyo...so yeah.
it's damn near impossible to get a visa/job for Japan, as they are both intertwined.
i now will be making the jump to NYC, probably by the end of this month.
just trying to get some cash together before i make the move.

i'm trying to hit 15K to pull me through the first couple of months, which will probably be the hardest, while i get adjusted. plus i don't have a rich family to fall back on, so it will be all me.

I also need to get a job, or two for that matter.
:muscles:

anyone making the move soon?
i'm kind of nervous....:cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->