Renzo Rosso buys Sophia Kokosalaki

Scott said:
well,she did first formal show and really started recieving attention in 2000. i remember distinctly because so much of press and industry were very excited about her potential. and that time,she was quite proficient and innovative in her work with leather....which was why she got the position the following year at Ruffo Research.

I remember seeing this AMAZING coiled dress by her in the past...cant remember the year, but this was true talent indeed! the coils...they were perfect

belletrist said:
I really hate Diesel but honestly, it worked for Margiela, MUCH better than if he would have been bought by LVMH/Gucci/Prada. I don't think MMM makes A LOT of money but everything seems okay. I haven't bought Margiela for ages so I don't really know about the quality but it seems to be fine isn't it.
I totally see it working for Kokosalaki, even if I don't find her THAT talented. I loved Bjork's dress though haha.

ahah, i can see a french point of view about Diesel, there!:lol:
Kokosalaki is, imo, pretty talented. and yeah her "dress" for Björk was HUGE! I was so impressed when watching the opening... (heu, i'm a Björk fan:innocent:)

I think, it's good if Rosso buy her. He seems letting people express their creativity... because, I truly didn't know he owns Margiela and Dsquared... so I guess, he's into the good mix of commerce and fashion... so I guess it's good for her, she'll have more money for her collections and productions. and maybe will have more "visibilité".

what a brilliant business move, all eyes will be on sophia now, next to olivier, for the upcoming fashionweek, and she has a lot of untapped potential...

It would be interesting to read Lena's comments on this... she seems to have some insight into the kokosalaki affairs (being herself a greek designer)....

^funny you mention Theyskens.....that would have been a brilliant business move if he bought Theyskens' label so he can revive his work again.

i have mixed feelings about Rosso and Diesel to be honest though. From what I've heard from some of my die-hard fan friends of MMM,they tell me since Diesel bought half a stake,the quality has gone down a bit. And also,the line has become,shall I say,a bit more conservative than it was before. Now he's reserved all his creative freedom for his artisanal collections.

melt,lena actually does know Sophia since before she went off to attend CSM,if I remember correctly.

strange acquisition imo.
to begin with renzo russo? (i mean diesel?? yes its big but strange still)
then margiela?
and now sophia?

she is good but not great and she needed a push so i am wondering if renzo is the right person to give her a push... :unsure:

she was represented though by an ok agent/showroom until last season so lets see what happens next..

^it is really. i still think it's rather an odd relationship to have MMM...even three,four years in now.

maybe he wants a well rounded company with a roster of designers who have completely different styles...perhaps a NY designer is next?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->