Saint Laurent S/S 2024 by David Sims

What are you talking about? Beverly Johnson had 3 Vogue US covers: August 1974, June 1975, and January 1981.
My bad, but her modeling career didnt end in 1981. She literally had one of the most iconic Revlon ads in the late 80s or was it early 90s.

Agreed, though even today its shocking that legends like Viola Davis, Angela Bassett, Alicia Keys in her prime, again Janet Jackson(one of the most legendary female artistes of all time), Tracee Ellis, Gabrielle Union, Queen Latifah ( she has been the face of Cover Girl for ages), Beverly Johnson made history as the first black model on Vogue and never returned on the cover. Sorry thats a bit off topic. That said, the second shot is nice, i see more of her personality in it.
I very much agree on the names and their importance as cultural icons.
It’s also a matter of reality. Today, every other celebrity is chasing a HF contract because we have conglomerates which has real weight in an economy. During the prime of many actresses and singers in the 90’s or 2000’s, it was about more Mass Market brands. When Halle Berry became the face of Versace, it wasn’t seen as an achievement for an actress. When Beyonce became the face of L’Oreal and Armani, it wasn’t seen as an achievement either. The achievement was the Pepsi Contract, The McDonalds, the Covergirl, the Revlon.

I think that Kerry Washington’s team really failed her after all the publicity they gave to the Prada Galleria in Scandal!

Black actresses in Hollywood have that issue that they might be big in the US and have a global fame but their reach is less mainstream than people expect. Their body of work is less known in Europe…

It’s a multi-layered question.
But at the same time actresses and singers already had issues in their field. Caring about an industry they didn’t understand was probably the last of their worries.

My bad, but her modeling career didnt end in 1981. She literally had one of the most iconic Revlon ads in the late 80s or was it early 90s.
Who's saying her career ended in 1981, though? Again, what are you talking about?

Who's saying her career ended in 1981, though? Again, what are you talking about?

I believe what he’s insinuating is that she deserved to have a constant rollout of Vogue covers since she became a commercial, mainstream face. And I’d argue that it’s precisely because she became a commercial face that Vogue moved on to new faces, as they should. It’s the insinuation of racism that she “only” scored 3 Vogue covers: Some are so deeply convinced of the racism, anti-Black narrative to the point a Black woman who’s achieved the most commercial of beauty contracts and become a household name of the time is apparently being shortchanged because she’s not given more Vogue covers LMFAO When one factors in the era that Beerly reigned— and she did reigned, where the Black population was a minority of less than 12% (with a likely even much less percentage being consumers of targeted products), that’s a huge and generous offer for any corporation to cast a MOC, and corporations did cast MOC: Beverly was not an exception— a minority, but in no way an exception.

This entitled perception, and completely false narrative that Black models/presence was barred from the industry because of pure racism is utterly ludicrous when one takes the time to account the ratio of Black consumer to White consumer (not to mention Hispanic and Latin/Asian/ME, groups that had next to zero representation in the industry back then-- but that’s another discussion for another thread LOL) Even now, the Black population is only at less then 14% in America (and not all being fashion consumers), yet there is a predominantly strong representation in the industry. And still, some are convinced that there is not enough Black representation— and likely won’t be until Black presence is a majority in the industry. It's no longer about equality, but pro-Black DEI and dominance LOL

I believe what he’s insinuating is that she deserved to have a constant rollout of Vogue covers since she became a commercial, mainstream face. And I’d argue that it’s precisely because she became a commercial face that Vogue moved on to new faces, as they should. It’s the insinuation of racism that she “only” scored 3 Vogue covers: Some are so deeply convinced of the racism, anti-Black narrative to the point a Black woman who’s achieved the most commercial of beauty contracts and become a household name of the time is apparently being shortchanged because she’s not given more Vogue covers LMFAO When one factors in the era that Beerly reigned— and she did reigned, where the Black population was a minority of less than 12% (with a likely even much less percentage being consumers of targeted products), that’s a huge and generous offer for any corporation to cast a MOC, and corporations did cast MOC: Beverly was not an exception— a minority, but in no way an exception.
Exactly, it's funny to me that Peggy Dillard and Shari Belafonte (who both had TONS of Vogue covers around that time) aren't mentioned... ever. Nor is the fact that Beverly Johnson was also on tons and tons of other magazine covers like Glamour. I get it. Vogue is the be all end all.

This is how you do it. Love that it is returning YSL to its affection for Black Models, and that Diana agreed to do this. At her level, she could've easily declined. So important for us to pay respect to legends while we have them.

Diana Ross Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard and Cindy Birdsong are photogenic and they can always deliver!

I actually think that Vaccarello's tenure is the most racially diverse Saint Laurent has been since Ford's days and Awar Odhiang seems to be a favourite of his.

That said, I find the approach (not just at Saint Laurent, but throughout the industry) to be quite calculated, like there's this perfect "white girl look", "black girl look", "asian girl look" that permeates throughout almost every casting.

The industry was considerably more diverse back in the 70s/80s/90s, but I think that today's industry like to conveniently dismiss that fact in order to present their over-corporatised system as more healthy and accepting (when it isn't). It doesn't help that finding shows dated before 1998 is difficult unless the brand has a full public video archive à la Dries Van Noten.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wsmith2131
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->