School Uniforms

twilight fairy

Reaction score
This is a debated topic and it relates to fashion, so I was wondering what your views on it were. :flower:

Does it supress individuality? Does it create a feeling of equality and belonging? Does it prevent cliques? Does it violate personal freedom?..

(there is a topic already on dress codes, which I thought was a bit different because dress codes allow you some personal freedom whilst uniforms don't really.) But don't forget, accessories can be magic. :woot:

i've always felt that design is more challenging when restrictions are present...

given the parameters of a uniform...
how can you personalize it?
how can you make it your own?
how can you be creative within the given confines?

i had a uniform throughout m.s. and h.s.
each day was a different way to wear the same pieces... which i enjoyed...

I'd actually personally like a uniform myself..just to get the chance to play around with it and use accessories, etc. But some uniforms are seen just look...terrible. :cry:

Does it supress individuality?
Yes, if the person wearing it doesn't do anything with it but like Calexico said, when there is someone looking for a unique style he or she will find ways to personalize it

Does it create a feeling of equality and belonging?
I don't think so, I don't think that similar clothes make people feel equal, I think that if everyone wears the same stuff then finding someone equal to yourself and finding someone you belong to gets harder
Does it prevent cliques?
No, people will always find new small stuff (like hair, accessories) that makes them stick together and it will be smaller stuff that some people will pick on others for

Does it violate personal freedom?
Yes, If a person is intereseted in fashion and the school has a clothing rule I would think that the school isn't encouraging the students into becoming who they want to be. some people express themselves when writing, some with music, some with art and some with clothes.

Ive always wanted a uniform. I feel it only surpresses originality in those who dont have any. There are ways to play around with a uniform to make it "yours". Ive seen it around, youre only not going to show personality if you dont have it :wink:

i dunno. right now...im still in school and i actually prefer it (despite all the dismal uniform regulations like: * always wear a black ribbon * no accessories what-so-ever)

whilst it does suppress one's style....it does have a certain practicality in it, no? you can roll out of bed in uniform, be ready for school in 5 min and your classmates couldnt care less.

but then again, thats just my 2c.

don't have to wear uniform anymore . .
& for a while it was a novelty :lol:
but now i just want my uniform back . . .
so gd just to wake up + chuck it on . . .! ^_^
not that any of my outfits right now are planned . . .
if it's clean . . it's gd to go ! :magic:

i agree tht uniform & other 'restrictions'
show up who has 'personality' . . an inherent style / look . .
i know for one tht i had a signature look w/my uniform . .
which alot of ppl thought it was fun to copy . . .
along w/being laughed at by evryone who knew who they were copying . . :wink:

I always loved those japanese girls in their short pleated skirts, sleeveless pullovers and sailor blouses... not to mention those extra long legwarmers with moccassins... :heart:

I wore uniforms throughout middle school and I don't think it supresses anything. Really, those who are truly creative or artistic can find alternatives to express themselves. I just think it is just so much easier to not have to think about your outfit.

Plus, I miss all my old teachers and friends in middle school (it was really small and we were really close), so I don't miss the uniforms as much as I miss my old teacher ragging on everybody to do so. :smile:

Sorry in advance for the wall of china length of this post::flower:

in high school, we had to wear a uniform. There were strict rules on accessories, makeup, nail polish, etc. But the point isn't to make you all look the same, and I can tell you that everyone looks very different in the same uniform. If you look at the 'caught in the same outfit' thread, you can see that people look very different even in the same clothing.

I haven't heard one girl from my school say she didn't miss our uniform (sailor blouse, tie, box skirt, knee high socks, cardigan, pullover, knit vest or blazer, loafers). It was a cute uniform, featured in a magazine once.. I can't blame those who hate it if their uniform really is hideous.

I'd say that our uniform said more about someone's interests than just regular clothing. It's easy to dismiss someone as a 'scenester' or 'diva' just by their clothing choice and stereotype their personality. With our uniforms you could wear house pins and club pins on your tie, even ones for academic achievement which said a lot more about someone than what 'clique' they belonged to. In our neighbouring boys school they had different ties for each club, which happens to also train them to dress for the occasion. Because of your uniform, people are forced to look beyond your dress and at you as a person instead.:heart:

It definately creates a sense of community and school pride. I'm not sure how to explain this, but it may be because of the common experience. Though I'm a long time grad of my school, when I happen to pass by a girl on the street wearing my school uniform, I get warm feelings. I feel like she is like my little sister.

However, it doesn't prevent cliques. The plus side to this is that the cliques are not based on your dress, etc but interests and for some reason academic standing.

I think those who oppose a uniform take it too seriously. Its not like you have to wear it everywhere, just in school or work (wherever its required), and it teaches you that appearance isn't everything. You can wear your personal clothes in your personal time, and studies have shown that people perform better in a uniform environment. When we had grub days, students really did tend lose their focus!

But if you really do care about appearance, don't forget how hot girls and guys look in uniform. ladies.. prince william in his uniform.. or your local firefighter hottie.:wink: Can you deny how dashing men in uniform are?

Last edited by a moderator:
:rofl: ok point taken..

i invite you to imagine gisele as a flight attendant then..

I dont really think that far into it..ive always had to wear one and i always will as long as i remain at the same school..
i dont mind it because it saves me wasting clothes on school and people getting bullyed or outcasted by their fashion choices.
So its not that bad

I have never not worn a uniform.
And I don't care that much.
Mostly because it allows me to sleep in an extra 1/2 hour and it would simply be a pain to have to choose what to wear every single day.
I can save all my nice clothes for the weekend :D
And also it makes days at school when you can wear casual more special and exciting :D

But what is the point in them? To make everyone equal? Well, kids still can pass judgements upon you by your weight, hair, skin colour, the car your parents have, your watch, your lifestyle. To discourage unappropriate clothing? I've seen many examples of shortened uniform skirts and girls finding ways to sex up their outfits. What if the style of your uniform doesn't fit your body type? Does it help students achieve higher grades? Unlikely..

If the uniforms are decent, that's great. But if they're shapeless and ugly...it can really annoy students, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
It definately creates a sense of community and school pride. I'm not sure how to explain this, but it may be because of the common experience. Though I'm a long time grad of my school, when I happen to pass by a girl on the street wearing my school uniform, I get warm feelings. I feel like she is like my little sister.

I completely agree with everything you have said Pinky...especially this point!

Our school uniform was horrible (pink and white checked shirt and long grey skirt :yuk: ). My friends and I got into terrible trouble when we customized it.

I love going to college as I can where whatever I want but in general I don't really have a problem with school uniforms,just the one I had to wear! :wink:

i think that no matter how horrible a uniform is, as long as u wear it the right way, there's no ugly uniforms.

My secondary school uniform was in an ugly shade of green, but the way we wear it makes it look nice.

I got into trouble for customising it as well...but it was fun getting caught. haha.

For example, the shirt is supposed to be tucked into the skirt but we sorta used a elastic band to make the shirt look longer.. im trying my best to put it in words but i think i still failed:P

saann said:
Does it supress individuality?
Yes, if the person wearing it doesn't do anything with it but like Calexico said, when there is someone looking for a unique style he or she will find ways to personalize it

Does it create a feeling of equality and belonging?
I don't think so, I don't think that similar clothes make people feel equal, I think that if everyone wears the same stuff then finding someone equal to yourself and finding someone you belong to gets harder
Does it prevent cliques?
No, people will always find new small stuff (like hair, accessories) that makes them stick together and it will be smaller stuff that some people will pick on others for
i agree and ultimatley dont

i hate school uniform, and there are parents who make sure there child goes out pristeen each morning not mine, they had to nag me day in day out for years to tuck my shirt in, do my tie up etc and now they have just given up.

still i find it choking, really suffocating to look like someone else, i feel their is no exspression at all. and you might say there are always ways to change your uniform, accessorize etc but no there arent, the hours of detentions i have had for things like necklaces out of place or wearing a blue coloured skirt, still my frustration will make me laugh in days to come...:innocent: :innocent:

VintageDolly said:
For example, the shirt is supposed to be tucked into the skirt but we sorta used a elastic band to make the shirt look longer.. im trying my best to put it in words but i think i still failed:P

ooh the ideas were fun, we're supposed to wear black tights and i wear blue, grey or black lacy ones. we're supposed to wear below the knee skirts (pah) that are supposed to be black a-line i wore a wavey blue shorter skirt (well everyone would roll the skirt up) , gold earrings studs and we would wear dangles, long wooly jumpers that i cut up to make a tank top jumper....:innocent: :innocent: :innocent: and when you met a teacher coming round the corner:woot: :doh: :blink: :angry: :shock: :cry: :unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->