Schools for haute couture

gius

Reaction score
This is a list for schools, workshops, apprenticeships, guilds to study specifically, the art of haute couture.

First on the list is
  • Ecole de la Chambre Syndicale de la Couture Parisienne in Paris
    A study in old couture techniques in sewing and draping
    in combination with modern technologies (CAD) and design theories
    http://www.modeaparis.com/va/ecoles/index.html

There is also couturiere, Susan Khalje in the United States
who does several kinds of workshops around the country.
http://www.susankhalje.com/couture.htm

• Couture sewing school (often geared to the student's specific, chosen project) 6 days
    -fine-tuning toile to individual's measurements
    -create book of couture samples and list of Resources
    -choosing and working with proper underlinings and linings
    -learn techniques for difficult fabrics, inc. lace
    -master boning and support techniques
    -business
  • Classic French Jacket course 6 days
  • Couture Skirt class 4 days
  • Draping class with Paris-based colleague, Julien Cristofoli

Current events listing
The Draping Class
April 20-25, 2009: Beacon, New York (link)

Couture Sewing School/Classic French Jacket Classes
June 8-13, 2009: Chicago, IL
August 3-8, 2009: Denver, CO
September 8-13, 2009: Baltimore, MD
October 5-10, 2009: St. Louis, MO

The Lace Class
May 11-16, 2009: San Francisco

The Couture Sewing School
July 10-15, 2009: San Francisco, CA

Classic French Jacket Class
September 28-October 3, 2009: San Francisco, CA

Couture Tour to Paris
November 1-9, 2009 (link)

Susan Khalje was trained in New York's couture salon Chez cez et bez. She also had the opportunity to study millinery, costuming, etc at Bournemouth University in the UK.

I don't think salon Chez cez et bez exists anymore? I can't find any info about it online.

English Couture Company, in Leicestershire, UK
(also a materials supply company)

workshops:
  • couture finishes -
    You will leave this one day workshop with a lifetime of knowledge and a guarantee you will never make hand made clothes with a home-made finish again! Samples will be made of a zip placement that cannot go wrong, immediately cure the problem of spreading at the top of the zip and one side being shorter than the other. Tailored hems, no stitches to be seen. The Terry Fox bound buttonhole, totally created by hand, beautiful smooth tailored darts, Hong Kong finishing and tiny silk covered press studs, plus canvases that create perfectly symmetrical everyday collars and cuffs through to wickedly pointed Dior cuffs. This workshop contains vital information for beginners to professionals. A couture collection that can be used in everyday clothes.
  • inside secrets - (2 parts)
    Terry Fox introduced the home dressmaker to the world of couture, explaining the advantages of interlining garments and the application of woven interfacings. The response soared “I’ve learnt more in one day, than a lifetime of training” became a familiar quote at the end of the day. Michelle now brings you a combination of fabrics, interlinings and linings. Eliminate everyday problems: limp bodices, floppy collars, heavy hems, seams ridges, see through dresses, seating and creasing. During the course you will compile a picture dictionary of designs, complete with fabric interlinings and interfacing swatches. By handling, mounting, fusing, machine stitching and pressing. suitable for skirts, trousers, couture suits, tailored suits, special occasion wear, day wear, ball gowns and wedding dresses.
  • tailoring portfolio - pockets
  • tailoring portfolio - collars & lapels
  • tailoring portfolio - sleeves & shoulder pads
  • The Couture Suit - (using jacket made by Coco Chanel)
  • couture corselette
  • couture boned bodice
Other courses also available.

http://www.englishcouture.co.uk/

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a list for schools, workshops, apprenticeships, guilds to study specifically, the art of haute couture.

First on the list is
  • Ecole de la Chambre Syndicale de la Couture Parisienne in Paris
    A study in old couture techniques in sewing and draping
    in combination with modern technologies (CAD) and design theories
    http://www.modeaparis.com/va/ecoles/index.html

Someone I know was just accepted into this school and I am SO PROUD of her!! She was accepted into 3rd year but requested a spot in 2nd instead so that she has more time to train and learn with a larger variety of instructors. I can't wait to hear from her everything that goes on. It was her dream school and she worked hard to get in. Did I mention how proud I am?? :D

this is what i've been looking for :D im always interested in dressmaking, and to make it as impeccable as possible :D becoming a couturier is one of my dream.

from all the above, seems like the one in paris is the more legit one.

Wow this sounds fantastic, thanks!
I can't believe there's one in the UK. For a one day course it sounds pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->