Sean by Sean Combs: womens collection

kimair

frozen
Reaction score
from wwd...this isn't bad (from what i can see :ninja: ...i mean it's no sweetface )

Sean Combs' highly anticipated women's collection has finally arrived, with a name reflecting the more personal side of the designer: Sean by Sean Combs.

In an exclusive interview at his West Side apartment here, Combs presented the introductory Sean by Sean Combs holiday collection — affectionately coined "the appetizer" by the design team because it offers just a taste of what's to come.

"I want to be known for a consistent collection every time I come out," said Combs, seated on a cream suede couch in his living room overlooking Central Park. Most rooms — from the kitchen to the bedroom — boasted floor-to-ceiling windows, but Combs immediately declared the apartment "preconstruction." To set the mood, Combs, dressed in Sean John jeans and a blazer, played music from Prince's "Purple Rain."

Combs said his intention was to offer a full collection to the consumer — one she could wear head-to-toe if she pleased.

"I want women to come into my world," he said. "I want to show the diversity of this young, fun, sexy, sophisticated woman. This is the woman we aspire to have. This is the woman the Sean John man wants."

While Combs' line contains some basics, every piece — from the low-cut cashmere hoodie to the cropped leather jacket — has a distinctly sexy flair. "Our foundation is sexy, but it's not so sexy that you don't feel comfortable wearing it," Combs said. "We want to bring a bit of edge, but we're not afraid to be sophisticated. Sean is for the girl who, when she leaves the house in the morning for work, may have a date after and the night might continue on so that she's having drinks at a lounge. We have pieces that look beautiful in the morning, but as the sun goes down, the clothes start to get sexier."

The 150-piece holiday collection consists of three groups: Natural Born Killers, a sexy, stealthy group driven by colors such as black and cobalt; Caramel Kiss, a dreamy, flirty segment rich in cream, chocolate brown and camel shades, and Monaco, the resort collection taking its inspiration from the ocean and focusing on colors such as Mediterranean blue, tangerine, khaki and white.

The holiday line was primarily designed by Combs and Max Wilson, who resigned in April. He was succeeded by Jenny La Fata, former creative director at La Rok, who was named vice president of design for Sean John's women's apparel. La Fata had limited input with the holiday collection, but will design the spring line with Combs.

060205_8.jpg

silk charmeuse shirt and cotton pique pencil skirt

060205_9.jpg

wool, cashmere and angora coat with double coyote collar, cotton and silk tuxedo shirt and cotton and spandex velvet pants with inset charmeuse and trapunto stitching

060205_10.jpg

leather jacket with embossed croc straps and silk charmeuse and spandex bustier dress.

it doesn't look as bad as one might expect. I mean, I don't find that the market is necessarily lacking something and he is bringing it in, I think my final reaction will be on seeing more and the price point.

It's pretty hideous but Sean did manage not to embarass himself in the interview, which is a first.

His powers of making expensive materials look like Primark are impressive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it's not in the same box as j-lo's collection, but it stuff I've seen before, and in the middle picture..that looks like a pimpin' coat.

OH MY GAWSH!
I cant wait for this to be out and ready for purchase... I personally like his mens line and have been waiting for this myself!

not good... not bad... not expected, though. i was thinking urban, this is not...

Well...I guess I'm plesently surprised...at least they don't look lik extras from a rap video.

People?!
Have you guys even seen his regular men's line? Its not *all* ghetto fab... It has nice dress shirts and nicely fitting jeans.
Its not cheap either...

yes we have seen his mens line and just because it isn't cheap, doesn't mean it's good.

they had wholesale in the article, anyone know what the general conversion rate to retail is?

Wholesale prices range from $62.50 to $99 for three styles of jeans (named Jezebel, Hustler and Tease); dresses that wholesale between $125 and $162.50; sweatsuits that range between $75 and $125, and outerwear that will wholesale from $97.50 for an embroidered jacket to $847.50 for a cashmere coat with coyote fur collar.

"There's a lot of over-the-top outerwear pieces," said Wendy Chivian, senior vice president of Sean John women's apparel. Chivian said the collection will hang in large stores such as Bergdorf Goodman and Bloomingdale's, as well as specialty boutiques such as Big Drop and Intermix. "We've been working on this for a long time," she said. "We've edited it down to the true vision. We want to make sure the consumer can take any piece in any delivery and put it together."

"Price-wise, we're extremely competitive," Combs said. "We're sitting next to Diane von Furstenberg, Vince and Theory. To be honest, some of our prices are better than our counterparts. If anything, you can get a better bargain with our stuff."

and more retail reaction:

Kal Ruttenstein, senior vice president of fashion direction at Bloomingdale's, has previewed the collection and said he was "surprised and delighted" by the results.

"I thought it was a very strong collection," Ruttenstein said. "I was extremely pleased with it. It's not logo-heavy and it's not celebrity-driven. It's for girls who want to sparkle at night."

The only pieces in the collection that flaunt verbiage are the "Daddy's Rich" and "Daddy's Girl" Ts. "The collection really doesn't look like anything else out there," Ruttenstein said.

Robert Burke, Bergdorf Goodman's senior vice president of fashion office and public relations, also praised the collection. "I was happy to see that he [Combs] was focused on making it a contemporary line that was sophisticated, glamorous and sexy," said Burke. "He certainly put a lot of thought in it and really focused on who his target customer was."

Burke noted that Bergdorf Goodman will carry the line on its fifth floor with other contemporary brands. He was particularly fond of the jersey knit dresses and fur bomber jackets.

kimair said:
they had wholesale in the article, anyone know what the general conversion rate to retail is?
Multiply by ~2.5...so jeans would go for about $150-$250 and the "double coyote" (??) coat would be about $2K.
"The collection really doesn't look like anything else out there," Ruttenstein said.
Gee that's funny, because to me it looks like just about everything else out there...complete non-fashion. The absence of flashy logos does not rescue this collection from being nothing more than a pointless exercise in branding.

Its all lacking a strong design element. I mean the first one looks like it could have been made by anyone from Banana Republic to a Versace diffusion line. The last one, leather jacket and tight dress, looks like a generic "hottie" from any movie from the 80s.

"its all lacking a strong design element."

considering who is making it, it's probably a good thing.

ah, what a great article...

We have pieces that look beautiful in the morning, but as the sun goes down, the clothes start to get sexier."

i feel like adding a huge tag w/ his description embossed w/ drink tickets would add some value to the clothing?

Sexy stuff. I kinda dig it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryJC
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->