Sean by Sean Combs: womens collection

Morningstar said:
Wow, people can be pretty vicious on this site. Those pictures are extremely small and only 3 looks. Although based on the pics it's nothing special, I'll withhold my final judgement until I see the complete collection.

i totally agree...from what i could see, it didn't look bad, but i am reserving my judgement until i can see (hopefully in person) more...

he shouldve just named it Sean Combs... why sean john...
:( it doesnt have a nice ring to it..

I guess u really dont need to be a fashion designer to enter this arena of clothesmaking...
they may be geniuses at making their names in music AND in fashion, but oh dear they are sprouting like rabbits... think
J.Lo, Sean John, Russell Simmons.. hmmm... i honestly dont know WHAT to think except: if u are famous as a model/ singer/actor, you can either enter into politics OR fashion and come up a winner....

Plastic'sWife said:
Seriously, sometimes I feel people see Diddy and think 'ghetto crap'... that is unfair.

Of course they do, but who cares? He certainly doesn't lol. :lol:

Either way I find the clothes shown here to be yes boring. Do I care no, why because I don't patron his company- does he care? Heck no, why because he has people who do lol. I don't see a direction, I find them bland, but I still think he's a smart business man. I just don't like the clothes. Looks like some could be in one of those all consuming chains like Banana Republic or something.

Also "P.Diddy" isn't synonmous with "pimps and hos"-- wrong rapper lol. The hip-hop culture, including the clothes isn't one-dimensional.

Morningstar said:
Wow, people can be pretty vicious on this site. Those pictures are extremely small and only 3 looks. Although based on the pics it's nothing special, I'll withhold my final judgement until I see the complete collection.

We're not viscious. We just have an appreciation for fashion. Real fashion. The thought of all of these celebrities turning fashion into a huge marketing scheme just to make money makes most of us cringe, especially when they have the nerve to call this 'fashion' with a straight face. This is 100% marketing and nothing else.

As to why Barney's carries it..M-A-R-K-E-T-I-N-G.

Ok, so, he's a brilliant business man (which I don't even believe to be true - just because he produces music doesn't mean he can be Superman, remember that). If he is or isn't, I don't care. Why? Because businessmen don't do fashion, and if they do do something similar and call if fashion - it's not, people are often fooled by that. This is The Fashion Spot, not The Business Spot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arturo21 said:
We're not viscious. We just have an appreciation for fashion. Real fashion. The thought of all of these celebrities turning fashion into a huge marketing scheme just to make money makes most of us cringe, especially when they have the nerve to call this 'fashion' with a straight face. This is 100% marketing and nothing else.

As to why Barney's carries it..M-A-R-K-E-T-I-N-G.

TRUE THAT!!!!

Arturo21 said:
Ok, so, he's a brilliant business man (which I don't even believe to be true - just because he produces music doesn't mean he can be Superman, remember that). If he is or isn't, I don't care. Why? Because businessmen don't do fashion, and if they do do something similar and call if fashion - it's not, people are often fooled by that. This is The Fashion Spot, not The Business Spot.

OK seriously,Fashion is in the eye of the beholder. Its called style! One mans "style" is another mans eyesore:doh:

I seriously doubt if Pdiddy set down to sketched each item personly, but he has the last say- so you COULD say its his design:innocent:

I think you are mistaken that businessmen don't do fashion- Fashion industry is Business.
Would we be able to purchase all our lovely "fashion" pieces without the business aspect of it.

Businessmen are involved in fashion ALL the time. PPR-PRADA-LVMH Group. Ralph Lauren......

BTW : Fashion Spot is a business as well - look at the ads from google.

On a lighter note: I don't think anyone has mentioned Pdiddy to be the man of steel :lol:

*Disclaimer: I am not a FAN of Pdiddy; however I respect those that TRY.
Those that can implament theri plans, or an idea, no matter how unpopular it may be, . These are the ones that create a change. Never settle. Always strive for more then you are capable of. It can only make you a better person!

Those that can implament theri plans, or an idea, no matter how unpopular it may be, . These are the ones that create a change. Never settle. Always strive for more then you are capable of. It can only make you a better person!

This seems to be an off-topic slant to me. I mean plenty of people would argue that being a sucessful businessman makes you the running-dog of a corrupt oligopoly with a thin veneer of true capitalist pioneering spirit. Whether or not you like the man isn't really anything to do with fashion at this level.

As for the clothes, people are entitled to dislike without having a 'face to face' evaluation. If something looks like a steaming pile of **** then you don't need to stick your nose into it to determine that.

modelmama said:
OK seriously,Fashion is in the eye of the beholder. Its called style! One mans "style" is another mans eyesore:doh:

I seriously doubt if Pdiddy set down to sketched each item personly, but he has the last say- so you COULD say its his design:innocent:

I think you are mistaken that businessmen don't do fashion- Fashion industry is Business.
Would we be able to purchase all our lovely "fashion" pieces without the business aspect of it.

Businessmen are involved in fashion ALL the time. PPR-PRADA-LVMH Group. Ralph Lauren......

BTW : Fashion Spot is a business as well - look at the ads from google.

On a lighter note: I don't think anyone has mentioned Pdiddy to be the man of steel :lol:

*Disclaimer: I am not a FAN of Pdiddy; however I respect those that TRY.

Well, there's no doubt that we wouldn't be able to purchase the beautiful pieces designers create without business. We agree there. However, I'm speaking of when business corrupts and controls fashion. That's why I despise LVMH and Prada and have little to no respect for them, but I do respect a few of the designers who are under LVMH and Prada (Such as Raf Simons and Hedi Slimane, who I have tremendous respect for). Businessmen do not do fashion, or realfashion anyway. Designers do fashion with the help of businessmen and women as long as the businesspeople respect aesthetics and do not corrupt fashion and take away the entire aesthetic of a collection to make more money. Businessmen and women sell, designers design and create.

I was saying that this is not the business spot, meaning we are not here to discuss business. We are here to discuss fashion, and fashion = art, not business. Business only distributes fashion and in worst case scenerio corrupts it.

I'm just saying that fashion designers who create simply for the money are not fashion designers, they're business people.

i actually cant stand Sean John

firstly we share the same first name

secondly he thinks hes some gangster mogul superstar

thirdly he tries too hard to venture into other things

fourthly i dont like how he always thinks he needs to justify himself as a black man....WE KNOW UR BLACK DUDE....... so what just because he's sucessful and black?.....come on.....you arent the only one...

fifthly he obviously wants his ex wife back but wont commit because it will put a damper on his pimp daddy image

Serious question:

Has anyone on the board seen the designs in person? No.

Has anyone touched the fabric, evaluated the stichings? No.

So we are going by the photos? Yes.

Are you saying it's "crap" because its from Pdiddy? No. I'd still call it crap if it was from Elbaz.

This IS his first womens collecection- wasn't Club Monaco crap when they first entered the fashion arena via Canada. ? Isn't it still crap?

Why is Bergdorf carrying the line if its so "crap"? Because they want to add to the crap that they already carry.

Is he the first to "recycle" predictable designs? No, and he won't be the last.

I am not a Pdiddy fan, I think he is an excellent business man, and a marketing genius. Indeed. Now all he needs to do is learn to design.

Dont hate the man, hate the game. I hate them both.

Acid said:
i actually cant stand Sean John

firstly we share the same first name

secondly he thinks hes some gangster mogul superstar

thirdly he tries too hard to venture into other things

fourthly i dont like how he always thinks he needs to justify himself as a black man....WE KNOW UR BLACK DUDE....... so what just because he's sucessful and black?.....come on.....you arent the only one...

fifthly he obviously wants his ex wife back but wont commit because it will put a damper on his pimp daddy image
Um... ok, that was a bit over the top. You don't know him. I don't know him. What the f*** is all the judgement for? Please. And what's with the 'we know ur a black dude' comment? You act like his blackness has anything to do with this. Besides sounding fairly racist, I'm not sure how you could construe that from the clothes you're seeing here.

i do agree this site seems to have a fair amount of hip hop bashing, which i don't agree w/ being a huge fan of certain hip hop. his clothes aren't even that offensive by themselves from what i can see. but i do, however, think the description of his clothes was fairly laughable and that has nothing to do w/ hip hop or a black and white thing.

You made such a brilliant comment Arturo! :heart:

I've seen the three pics posted in this thread and it's already enough I don't want to go through the pain of seeing his entire collection. Fashion is NOT in the eye of the beholder, beauty is. Fashion is a phenomen. Not anyone can create REAL fashion. Fashion is art, not some faux designer using his fame to shamelessly promote crap.

modelmama said:
Guys let's not forget he won CFDA Menswear Designer of the year (2004).

Excuse me darling, but nowadays, ANYOBODY can win an award. Look at the music industry talentless people like Justin Timberlake and Usher win tons of awards... ... just so you have an idea, these overhyped talentless and boring designers all won CFDA awards in the past : Zac Posen, Donna Karan, Michael Kors...... It's not even a prestigious award, like most awards nowadays...

Karl Lagerfeld even won a Lifetime Achievement award!!!!!! :rolleyes: Come on, winning a CFDA crap means NOTHING at all. Doesn't make P Diddy any more interesting.

Those pictures tell me nothing.
I will wait 'til I have seen the whole collection.

Haha! I was going to make the music industry comparison also, Kim. You're the best. :heart:

I guess I still don't/won't understand why so much bitterness & hatred is voiced here. Sure, he's just a businessman extending his financial empire, the clothing is pretty plain, etc etc, but a lot of 'ghetto youth', if you will, look up to Sean Combs as an example of coming out of a sh*thole area and making something of yourself (much like Russell Simmons, and by extension Kimora Lee). Stop to consider the importance of that for a moment.

Sean John is important, I believe, because unlike Baby Phat or Fubu, Sean John, as a label, acts to raise the clothing mentality of hip-hop out of the ghetto, and it allows a young kid the option of looking classy without betraying one's roots to the hip-hop community. True, a lot of people in the hip-hop underground don't care much for Sean Combs, but he certainly resonates much more to those people than, say, Valentino :wink:

Because of that a label like Sean John is ultimately good for the health of the fashion industry. There is a large potential market in the kind of customer that both liestens to a) hip-hop and b) rejects the gangsterisms of Fubu and Phat Farm. Sean John puts people in Bergdorf, for chrissakes (which many of you apparently scoff at, and there isn't a rolleyes emote large enough for that), allowing them exposure to a larger sense of fashion and clothing than what they would see at the mall. Even if they are not buying his clothes, they are certain quite aware of it, and gives one something to look forward to.

Like painting/etc, fashion is an aesthetic art form wholly centered in discipline, in both observation & practice. I know in my younger yearsI've had some pretty embarrassing fashion faux pas (think a kmart version of the fresh prince of bel air... ugh), and I doubt many of us grew up thinking conceptually about the thinks we wear. However, in my exposure to the fine arts, I've moved on to more aethetically-oriented sense of looking at things, and I've developed this odd, personal philosophy on what I wear and why I wear it.

Put simply, I can't recall wearing Carol Christian Poell in middle school.

andrew said:
Sean John is important, I believe, because unlike Baby Phat or Fubu, Sean John, as a label, acts to raise the clothing mentality of hip-hop out of the ghetto, and it allows a young kid the option of looking classy without betraying one's roots to the hip-hop community.

Ok, I bet our definition of classy is extremely different. Hating Sean John has nothing to do with hating the hip hop community and style. Based on the pics, these clothes could have been done by someone unrelated to the hip hop industry. It's simply terrible, unoriginal and tacky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryJC
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->