Sex, Nudity and Fashion

^ I often think of that ad when people try to paint Tom Ford and high fashion in general as always classy and refined.

I totally agree with Shelton123 on nudity being more alluring than the one in playboy, where nowadays all you is artificial implants and photoshop plastic skin.

And I have always wondered whether its the designers getting a kick out of having boys/ girls being nude in front of them... that photographer Richardson comes to mind.

I rather liked the way that ad campaign was a riff on the 1971 Sieff shot of Yves himself, for the "Homme" perfume. That Tom Ford chose to go one step further and to dispense with the shadows in favour of a frontal shot... that was his way of adding a new layer of controversy onto the concept for a modern audience.

I can only remember the second shot running as an actual print ad in Vogue Paris, although I'm sure it turned up in some other publications.

But even if I discount Tom Ford forever needing to come up with visual tricks to sell products, I would still admire the image for being rather beautiful. Here we have "man as he is" - nothing added, nothing hidden, no game being played, and certainly, no photoshop deforestation of his body hair into a flat, plastic landscape of skin. He's a man, he's all man, no more, no less.

Women's nudity is so endemic that we've come to accept it as an essential part of our culture that's supposed to exist for the benefit of both sexes, whereas men's nudity is something that's still rationed.

Yes! Yes! You are so right! It annoys the skivvies out of me to have breasts and bums and long legs come flying at you with such regularity; it makes one think of a woman as the only sexual being here. Whereas I, and I do believe I'm not alone here, think men are equally as beautiful.

Whereas I, and I do believe I'm not alone here, think men are equally as beautiful.

I hope you are all alone on this. We men are not 'meant' to be beautiful. We are meant to be masculine, rough & tough! And we want to keep it that way. B)

^^
i think you need to read the dictionary and possibly relearn the definition of beauty...
and it is ridiculous for you to speak for all men...
since you clearly have absolutely no authority to do so...

:rolleyes:

such narrow minded thinking is really unattractive by the way...imho...
:ermm:...

I think that the thought is that men don't look good nude. It seems to me that it is thought that a good looking man dressed in a nice suit is more 'beautiful' than a guy not wearing anything. Personally, I don't really care to see any naked dudes; as a matter of fact, I'm tired of nudity in general.

Personally, I think the male body is beautiful and can be enjoyed aesthetically just as much as a woman's. I love the mix of strength and vulnerability ... i could stare at this picture for hours ... :lol: does that make me a weirdo??? The human body is a wondorous thing!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

credit:quitecontinental.com

^^
i think you need to read the dictionary and possibly relearn the definition of beauty...

Shouldnt that be down to my own iterpretation? And I didn't claim to any absolute authority, its a general male thing, probably is news to you.

Most of us are here to take part in a community of fashion related individuals & are here to express our views, not 'be' attractive to other community members. :D

Personally, I think the male body is beautiful and can be enjoyed aesthetically just as much as a woman's. I love the mix of strength and vulnerability ... i could stare at this picture for hours ... :lol: does that make me a weirdo??? The human body is a wondorous thing!

Totally agree especially as the whole world of nature is so details and wondrous. Discovery & the Animal Planet are two of my favourite channels :D

Last edited by a moderator:
What I don't understand is why I can't look at a fashion editorial without seeing a nipple these days. It seems like it's to the point where its expected for the model to show her breasts totally randomly in the middle of a spread that is supposed to be about clothing. It's like these creative teams can't come up with any other way to be edgy, which is sad because isn't that their job? Isn't Lara Stone tired of being valued only for her breasts? I'm sure sick of seeing them.

My other pet peeves -- seeing naked women as props in shoots (which I haven't seen as much recently; usually it's naked men which is fine by me) and any of these ads that seem to insinuate r*pe/gang r*pe. It really doesn't get any lower than that.

I hope you are all alone on this. We men are not 'meant' to be beautiful. We are meant to be masculine, rough & tough! And we want to keep it that way. B)

Your comments are extremely heterosexist/heteronormative and borderline homophobic. I'm quite sure Softgrey isn't trying to make you "pretty" (God forbid!!!), just trying to help expand your mind because your comments paint you as rather ignorant, not to mention offensive.

I think that the thought is that men don't look good nude. It seems to me that it is thought that a good looking man dressed in a nice suit is more 'beautiful' than a guy not wearing anything. Personally, I don't really care to see any naked dudes; as a matter of fact, I'm tired of nudity in general.

:rolleyes: I feel like I'm reading comments on FoxNews.com or something, you'd think people on tFS would be a bit more open minded :innocent:

My other pet peeves -- seeing naked women as props in shoots (which I haven't seen as much recently; usually it's naked men which is fine by me) and any of these ads that seem to insinuate r*pe/gang r*pe. It really doesn't get any lower than that.

Care to rephrase that one a bit? Naked men fine but naked women wrong is not exactly promoting equality. Sure men definately are under-representated in the nude department but two wrongs doesnt make a right :wink:

AS for naked men being beautiful i personally think that a beautiful body is a beautiful body, regardless of the gender. I shoot men and women alike and have no problems appreciating a beautiful male body even though i am 100% heterosexual. For me, the beauty is not sexual or erotic but rather an appreciation of form and shape.

Having said that though, i still agree that it's rare to find nudity in fashion that is not a gimmick. Its still too much "oh we havent got a good concept or styling, lets flash a boob" over a lot of editorials today.

Just my $0.02 =)

:rolleyes: I feel like I'm reading comments on FoxNews.com or something, you'd think people on tFS would be a bit more open minded :innocent:
I am open-minded. I merely think that nudity is VERY overused and is often used in an attempt to conceal a lack of creativity; be it male or female.

Care to rephrase that one a bit? Naked men fine but naked women wrong is not exactly promoting equality. Sure men definately are under-representated in the nude department but two wrongs doesnt make a right :wink:

No? But I'd recommend rereading my comment since it seems you've misunderstood it. :wink: And I'm not sure what equality or righting wrongs has to do with any of this.

Your comments are extremely heterosexist/heteronormative and borderline homophobic. I'm quite sure Softgrey isn't trying to make you "pretty" (God forbid!!!), just trying to help expand your mind because your comments paint you as rather ignorant, not to mention offensive.

I find your reply rude and offensive, way to go with reply to so called (missed the smiley did we?!, remind me to enlarge the font for you next time) rude & offensive reply.

I have to repeat again, please by all means prettify your boyfriend if you wish... actually I may have to beg you now...

I find your reply rude and offensive, way to go with reply to so called (missed the smiley did we?!, remind me to enlarge the font for you next time) rude & offensive reply.

Well the truth is never easy to take. But choosing to take personal offense to someone calling you out on being wrong is a bit different from perpetuating gender norms and sexism, which actually offends millions of people -- male and female.

And I'm not sure how enlarging a font is going to make a smiley easier to see ...considering a smiley is not a font, but whatever you say lol. ^_^

I have to repeat again, please by all means prettify your boyfriend if you wish... actually I may have to beg you now...

Yeah and this doesn't make sense either lol.

What exactly was so rude about her comments? I find your posts to heterosexist and homophobic as well.

Instead of making trite, immature comments like "by all means prettify your boyfriend if you wish," you should research and read about beauty and body imagery around the world. Believe me, you'll find that not all men desire the "masculine, rough and tough" image. I'll help you out: look up the Duke of Windsor and Hamish Bowles for two examples of men that don't fit your narrow criteria of what men desire.

^^

Strangely enough a lot of men seem to think that way. Perhaps because when they do find men to be beautiful they will be regarded as 'gay'? So yes Kayote; I'm afraid it does sound a wee bit like it has been called before..

The only time that it really bothered me was that infamous Vogue Paris calendar a few years back. Because to have a calendar for a fashion magazine that doesn't contain one single piece of clothing is to me just ridiculous :rolleyes:

I think sex and nudity is okay in fashion, when it is kept in a tasteful and art form. It's fine in small doses and at the right time.

I don't like the way they use nudity in a vulgar, Playboy way and used as a cheap gimmick.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by a moderator:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I agree 100%. Men are beautiful in a rugged and handsome way, especially with some scruff and natural looking muscles.

Fashion should appreciate the male physique way more. :smile:
Posted via Mobile Device

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->