Sheryl Crow: The Designer

Celebrities are free to become designers, IMO, if they both
have good style
and don't have a stylist.

Since when is Sheryl Crow a fashion icon?

lucy92 said:
"I am thrilled," said Crow in a press release. "I am excited at the prospect of working with [Brand Sense] to fulfill my vision of creating a line of high quality products that reflect my values.".

oh my god! it's not just another celebrity crappy line, it's also going to be expensive!

Zamb, I respect you! if we support these commercial lines by either working or buying it's like we're pushing fashion towards it's end. I hate how everyone in the world is called a fashion designer now when they can't even sketch or hold the sissors! :angry: this is an insult to the real designers who actually put their whole life into creating peices of art!

i hope this celebrity line trend disappears along with every piece produced for them!

I haven't a real problem with celeb designers as long as they have their own secular section. Which is what bugged me for a long time...they've always overshadowed the real designers in this industry merely because of who they are rather than if they're actually talented or even that knowledgable. But I think it's beginning to wear thin. The fashion industry itself,I feel,isn't focusing so heavily on these endeavours anymore like they were the last couple years. So perhaps,Sheryl is the butt of the joke here? In the end,we all know,the professionals all know,that these people are absolutely irrelevent to this world. Only to the masses and the market.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems that every celeb who needs to boost their sale comes up with a line like this...soon there won't be any other clothes available! I just can't believe why someone finds celeb collections to be a good idea...

She should design guitars..
It is more ad honorem to her...

Anyway I would love
see some D'yer Mak'er jeans

^ Guitars makes much more sense...
if fact, I think that is a really great idea Yimi.. she should stick to what she knows.

We don't even know it's fashion ... it could be guitars ... wigs ... who knows :P

PS See what happens when you reply after reading only the first page :wink:

I refuse to let ANYONE take fashion advice from Sheryl Crowe!

I think it should be illegal for celebs to design. They're clothing line is always crap anyways.

here is an update from wwd

this is what it was rumored to be in the first place.

CROW'S NEW BOOTS: After a recent stint as the face of Revlon Colorist, Sheryl Crow is graduating to apparel. The singer has signed a manufacturing deal with Western Glove Works to develop and distribute a denim-based collection dubbed Bootheel Trading Co. by Sheryl Crow. The new line will be the second celebrity-backed denim collection for Winnipeg, Canada-based Western Glove Works, which owns the Silver Jeans and 1921 label, and manufactures Victoria Beckham's DVB Denim collection. Bootheel Trading is slated for a fall 2008 launch in department stores and specialty chains. Prices will range from $20 to $65.

here is more info...excerpt from wwd

Crow Seeks Right Note for Denim
By Ross Tucker

As first reported in WWD on Oct. 10, the nine-time Grammy Award-winning singer signed a manufacturing deal with Western Glove Works to develop and distribute a denim-based collection dubbed Bootheel Trading Co. by Sheryl Crow. The new line will be the second celebrity-backed denim collection for Winnipeg, Manitoba-based Western Glove Works, which owns the Silver Jeans and 1921 labels, and manufactures Victoria Beckham's DVB Denim collection.

Crow has had a long relationship with the fashion industry, most recently serving as the face of Revlon Colorist. She's also a front-row fixture at the fashion shows of designers such as Marc Jacobs and Valentino. Despite her apparent enthusiasm for the highest ends of the fashion spectrum, Crow said that when it came time to do her own line she wanted it to reflect her personality and be accessible to a wider audience. Denim was a natural and obvious entry point.

"Denim is a product that represents me from my earliest beginnings," said Crow. "I've always been kind of a jeans girl."

This turns out to be an understatement. Denim was a daily uniform for Crow growing up in Missouri's boot heel, an agricultural region in the southeast corner of the state from which the brand gets its name and inspiration.

"It's well known for cotton farming and God-fearing, good people with a good work ethic," said Crow. "For me it has a lot of meaning."

That heritage has carried over into her career as an entertainer, and denim remains a wardrobe staple. Today, she has more denim in her closet than she can count and a vintage jeans collection that includes classic Levi's styles and Landlubber jeans from the Seventies.

Michael Silver, a partner in Western Glove and the founder of the Silver Jeans and 1921 labels, said Crow's background and knowledge of denim made it easy to find common ground when they met last summer for lunch in Chicago to have preliminary discussions.

"We were all on the same wavelength and it all made sense," said Silver. "It's Americana. It's what she's about and denim was synonymous with her way of life. She lives in it and performs in it."

Western Glove's design director flew out to Los Angeles to comb through Crow's closets and her denim collection, and worked with Crow's stylist to develop the looks for the label. The initial collection will consist of 15 bottoms, retailing for between $58 and $62, and a dozen tops, retailing for between $24 and $35. Like Crow's songs, the label's design is supposed to reflect a mix of Western, folk and Americana elements. Silver anticipates distributing the line in department stores, and hopes to launch with a retailer that he can work closely with on in-store appearances and integration of Crow's career into the marketing of the product.

"I really think she wanted to go to her fans," said Silver. "She has fans that are shopping premium and those shopping at Wal-Mart. I think she wanted to make sure we were accessible to all."

Western Glove has hired denim veteran Steven Greenfield as vice president of U.S. sales for the label, and will spearhead the launch for fall. Greenfield began his career with Earl Jean, launched his own Salt Works Jeans label in 2004 and has worked in sales for AG Adriano Goldschmeid.

Crow acknowledges she has been "lucky" to be able to plunk down $300 for a pair of jeans. That said, she's as equally aware that her sisters and friends in Missouri aren't going to do the same.

"There are a lot of young women out there who are hip and live in small towns and can't lay down $200 for a pair of jeans," said Crow.

As the promotion circuit for her album begins to amp up, Crow said she's looking forward to clothing herself in her own line. Bootheel may be launching with bottoms and tops, but Crow sees expanding into other areas such as boots and handbags.

"I want to be able to provide a cool look for anybody, but particularly for those gals out there that have a fashion sense and want to feel good but can't afford to buy the really high-end stuff," said Crow.

this is quite funny... I love her music but -- fashion and Sheryl herslef as designer are two different things. Jeans that are selling for around $60 with Sheryl "designed-it" (a patch label???) is just an added value for the customer??? In fact i really not looking for any design on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crowbar69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->