Shopping for... Leggings

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
so...
who do you think makes the best leggings...?

i would like a high waisted pair that doesn't dig in at the waist (the way some tights can if the waistband is too tight)...:blink:

i usually wear danksin or capezio (micro fibre or cotton/lycra) since they are designed for dancers and hold up really well during the day without sagging or bagging around the knees etc...
excellent quality for the price and they last for eons...

only thing is...
since they are matte fabric...the dress or skirt of whatever i am wearing over them tends to stick to my legs when i walk...
:doh:....:rolleyes:...
not cute!...
:lol:

but i don't want some shiny spandex disco fever leggings...:innocent:
just some simple leggings -
both full length and capri..

what do you guys like to wear?
any faves to share?...

:flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
wolford or margiela. two different concepts. wolford are thinner and more of a tight [to me] but still a great option for an inbetween choice, and the mmm's are dense, thick and ultra comfortable.

^:lol:

I too recommend wolford, the waistband doesn't dig in at the waist, my only gripe is the price.
Topshop ones are pretty good too - waistband doesn't dig in, nice selection, great price and they have held up well for me.

Another place that I get my tights from is www.welovecolors.com
Same comments as the Topshop ones, and no problems with static cling!

Your words say one thing, but your avatar says another... :ninja:

:lol: :P

haha...you got me!...

thanks guys....
but guys...it is NOT a static cling issue.
there is no static electricity generated...

it is the the leggings are not slippery enough so any thing like a light cotton dress will get 'stuck'...
it's more like a velcro effect...
^_^

i was thinking about getting some wolfords..
but as you guys say...those are more tights than leggings..
do they get pulls in them at all...are they fragile?...

what about american apparel or gap or any of those kinds of places?
h&m?...

this is not an area where i think a great investment is needed, you know?...
:innocent:

american apparel has these high waisted ones that seem amazing too me...
*i am a HUGE fan of high waist as some of you know...
but apparently the waist stretches out and falls down when you wear them...
but i would love to find something like that...
alaia used to do that in the 80's i think...

anybody know of any others like that?...

The wolford ones that I have are pretty fragile.
There were "fuzzies" in the leggings after one day of wear, though to be honest, I think I kept rubbing the leggings against the same spot whenever I get in/out of the car.

As for the AA high-waisted leggings, I have a couple of those but I do not have a problem with the waist band stretching/falling down.
I purchased them a size smaller, but this was with the lamé leggings(and matt black does not fall into the category of shiny disco leggings :wink:), I have not tried this for the tricot ones.
Also I have not worn the AA ones with light cotton dresses/skirts, so not sure if you will be able to circumvent the "sticking" problem with these. :flower:

I purchased them a size smaller, but this was with the lamé leggings(and matt black does not fall into the category of shiny disco leggings
wink.gif
), I have not tried this for the tricot ones
wait..i'm confused...:unsure:
they have the shiny ones (lame) in high waisted?
is that what you have?

i only saw them in some cotton lycra i think...
which is where people were saying that they stretch and sag in their reviews...

i have to go back and look at the site again i guess...

i got stuck with a $50 credit there so it would be really great if i could find something there to be honest...

i also saw a pair on yoox from balenciaga with zips at the ankle...
so good...but too low waisted and then they sold out anyway...
:ermm:...

wait..i'm confused...:unsure:
they have the shiny ones (lame) in high waisted?
is that what you have?

Yup. Here are the high-waisted shiny ones:
http://store.americanapparel.net/rsac349.html

I have the matt black and black eel ones.
The eel ones are shiny but there's a "scaly" texture on them which I like.
The matt black is more subdued, it has a more latex appearance.

i also have the matte black ones from american apparel and love them...the waist stays in place and doesn't curl/slip...
it's the only pair of leggings i own (as i wore them the first time around :ninja:)

i read an interview with vera wang in instyle last month, and she said she swears by danskin supplex leggings, but i don't think they are "high rise" (they go to the belly button)...

^^ i love the high waist thing it sits better on you, and its gernally comfier and easier to layer over wh out loads bunching up around ur hips imo,

the waist is also soft and not tight so they are super comfy imo

anywyas good luck finding the perfect pair of leggings :flower:

i have the ammerican apperal matte lame ones

Last edited by a moderator:
I detest leggings of any kind. They ruin an outfit for me. :innocent:

these are excellent...:woot:...
lucky..are these what you were talking about...?
charcoal%20plkt%20lgns%20kfzf.jpg

lagarconne

i also have the matte black ones from american apparel and love them...the waist stays in place and doesn't curl/slip...
it's the only pair of leggings i own (as i wore them the first time around :ninja:)

i read an interview with vera wang in instyle last month, and she said she swears by danskin supplex leggings, but i don't think they are "high rise" (they go to the belly button)...

these are what i was talking about in my first post...
^_^...
been wearing them for YEARS now...
:lol:

thanks for the link princess...
i really like the style...
not so sure about the shine though...
:unsure:

and i would really like capris...
just below the knee....
i used to just cut a pair of leggings off to make them shorter but now i would prefer something a bit more finished...

i guess what i really want is something semi opaque...
more like tights than leggings i guess...

i saw the perfect pair on yoox..
they were yohji and of course they sold out before i could grab them..
*they were also $200...:blink::doh::shock:....
*YIKES*

:lol::lol::lol:

I have a pair of Alaia leggings, Filene's basement for $25 :P
They are 100% cotton. they are the most comfortable leggings I own but they sag on the knees. They also have the Velcro issue Softgrey was talking about.
Wolford is nice. I love my leggings from them and tights.
I also have a pair from a random brand in Filene's basement. They are of thick knitted wool. They keep me warm in the winter:wink:

What a great post, softgrey! I was wondering what a good mid/high rise legging was and first thing I thought was to come here and do a "leggings" search. So, let's "bump" this thread up and see if we can get some more recommendations!

I am going shopping for leggings this week, and I will report back to you all!

I went shopping for leggings and literally tried on about 10 pair! I found one pair that I love, no sagging, perfect...they are Who Cares by Alisha Levine. I found them at Off Saks, normally $68, but I paid $30.

I also HIGHLY recommend the Pixie pant at J. Crew. It is a bit more structured than a legging, but the same affect, in a gorgeous stretchy fabric. They are so comfortable and have a sexy zipper up the back! I bought a pair in black and literally have worn them non-stop. I think they were about $80.

leggings have become a lot more popular and there are a lot more brands and styles out there now so i thought i'd bump this thread...

uniqlo now has leggings/jeans...i guess you could call them jeggings but i prefer not to!...
:lol:...

anyway- they are super inexpensive and seem like a good idea...
my only issue is that they are still not totally tight on me because my legs are so narrow...

i'm thinking of going back to danskin...
i really haven't found anything else that is as good...

I have mixed feelings about the Uniqlo jeggings. They are my go to airplane and early morning class pants but they get saggy in the crotch area and by the end of the day I feel like I am hiking them up every 5 seconds. Maybe I should have sized down? They do make my butt look cute though.

My go to leggings are by One Step Ahead. They are thicker weight and high waisted (although I can fold the band over if necessary) and they stay in place like a second skin. They are meant for activity but they don't look like exercise pants. My favourite pair is just starting to pill a bit after two years. I have the regular and the capri styles and love them both.

I need a cheap pair to tide me over before I go back to the states. Does anyone have any opinions on H&M vs American Apparel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->