Should your Earrings and Necklace match?

Yasmin

Reaction score
I just read on some random website, that it's considered funny by some if they see someone wearing, for example, ruby earrings and a pearl necklace.

I don't know if this only applies to formal jewlery, but is there a rule that they're supposed to match? Isn't it up to you and whether the whole outfit goes together?

I'm not really into matching earrings and necklaces...or wearing necklaces and earrings at the same time, it seems kinda blah and complicated. But I'd wear some nice dangly earrings and maybe a small pendant necklace or beads or something.

me being me i dont like matching sets of things i dont know what it is about them but they never look good.

i think things should always compliments each other but never truely match completely,

I think it's all about mixing & matching, but i would normally just wear a necklace OR a pair of earings (not me myself, i don't have my ears pierced, but i think earrings & necklace is over the top), but still i think a matching set of black pearls would be gorgeous to a more casualoutfit like a tee, jeans, ankleboots and a leatherjacket.

Ok, thanks everyone, that's what I thought and I'm glad I wasn't totally out to lunch.

I can see how some understated formal pieces might be nice if they matched, but especially for daily wear, that seems silly to me.

i think things should always compliments each other but never truely match completely,

Great way to put it.

I personally feel like wearing perfectly matched jewelry for casual wear would feel too constrained. But if I were dressing up formally I might consider matching. Though I would prefer to wear one or the other, not both.

Depends where you are. Apparently matching is more expected on the mainland. I am not one for matching things (or jewellery full stop actually) but then I am a Brit. If I went to the ballet, I might want to dress up in an old-school way and wear a matching set but I went last night and went against the rah rah Laura Ashley grain... so.

for everyday wear, i think jewelry should just compliment each other and be balanced- like small simple earrings with a big chunky statement necklace and vice versa.
the only jewelry that you can never go wrong matching are diamonds!!! :P

I agree it depends on you and on situation...

but generaly I don't like wearing gold and silver items in the same time... or art deco style earrings and some necklace in completely different style...

The only matching I do is in colours. I'm not a fan of gold and silver together,
Otherwise, anything goes!

Yeah I believe that anything goes, although if the earrings are elaborate the necklace shouldn't really be as much, and vice versa.

To quote Tim Gunn, things don't have to match, they have to go. Meaning that pieces that compliment each other look just as good if not better than pieces that match.

To me, complimentary means that my pieces of jewelry don't compete for attention. If I'm wearing a bold necklace or massive pendant, I'll put on only the simplest, smallest stud earrings, if any at all.

However, I would wear a lovely vintage demi parure for a retro look.

Elegance.Is.Refusal. said:
me being me i dont like matching sets of things i dont know what it is about them but they never look good.

exactly.

I don't think they should match as a rule, but they shouldn't clash.

I personally would only wear one or the other - I would either wear a pair of big, ourstanding earrings and no necklace, or a beautiful necklace and simple studs / sleepers in my ears.

i think this is one of those outdated rules of fashion. it's so annoying, i work at a jewlery counter and all these old ladies come in wanting matching pieces and wont buy the jewelry unless they get a whole necklace, bracelet, earring set. it looks pretty ridiculous

I agree with HBoogie.

I don't like to "match" things, and I don't often own jewerley that matches, but I like it all to have the same feel. I don't wear pearl earings and a chain necklace - obviously! Haha :P

i think this is one of those outdated rules of fashion. it's so annoying, i work at a jewlery counter and all these old ladies come in wanting matching pieces and wont buy the jewelry unless they get a whole necklace, bracelet, earring set. it looks pretty ridiculous
Oh yes. Pearl necklace, pearl earrings, pearl bracelet, pearl ring and pearl hairclips. I've seen quite a lot of blue-haired old ladies do that. I hate, hate, hate matching jewelry. As well as matching belt, shoes and bag (A LOT of people do that). It makes me embarassed on their behalf :ninja:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->