Signature Items

Jean-Paul Gaultier: the pointy bra. Feminity.

I'd add the pearls to Lanvin too. The pearls "wrapped" in silk they had a season or two ago,I think they have become quite recognizable. Can't describe them properly, but I hope someone gets what I'm after here.

Pearls are still a signature for Lanvin, as are color and asymmetry.

Dior - bar jacket

Roger Vivier - buckle pumps (mid-heel), comma heel pumps

Manolo Blahnik - colorful sandals..mules(he loves mules so much)

The most famous Blahnik shoe is probably the blue satin slippers with the crystal-encrusted square buckle

Lanvin - I agree that color is one of the first things that spring to mind, but I especially associate jewel tone colors with Lanvin. It doesn't matter if the dress is light or dark; there is usually a depth to the color... An expensiveness that cheap brands always get wrong... And also fabulous "stretchy" (?) ballet flats.

Also;

Alaia - Insane footwear

Alexander McQueen - Skull prints

Burberry - Trenchcoats

Chanel - Boucle jakcets, The reissue bags, CC bags, Chanel n 5, little black dress, cap toed shoes, costume jewlery

Gucci - The Jackie bag, equestrian motifs

Hermes - Silk scarves

Herve Leger - Bandage dresses

John Galliano (The person...) - Bias cut dresses

Louboutin - Red soles

Ralph Lauren - Tweed

Westwood - Pirate boots, safety pins

(Yves) Saint Laurent - Le smoking

I don't think analysing the collections of the brands would give you the same results. When I think of a brand, I usually think of the "it-bag" of that house, or another famous accessory... The main lines most likely won't contain any of the signature items, at least not in every collection.

I think Alaia is more about state-of-the-art knitted garments. Especially bodycon knitted dresses. Footwear is just his cash cow and designed by someone else.

^ Yes, the knits, and the very specific fit and flare shape. Also, the leather goods are often perforated in a very recognizable way.

Wrt Lanvin, another signature to me is that the clothes are not made for just one woman. They are made for many different women, so that there's something for everyone. Maybe saturated colors would be a good term. People often comment on the beauty of the fabric when I wear one of his blouses.

With Blahnik, the silhouette of the shoe is typically very recognizable.

McQueen--the skull is also used as a motif, like a 3D gold skull as a shoe ornament.

Chanel--tweed, captoes, quilting, the camellia and logo

Gucci--the bit hardware (and the ubiquitous logo)

Ralph Lauren--to me, the overall look (American, horsy, preppy) promoted by all the ads over the years

Hedi Slimane's YSL--sharp black tailoring, cheap polyester-looking dress fabrics, cheesy prints

Burberry Prorsum is famous for the coats, the check plaid scarves, the leather bags and minimal tailoring :wink:

Tod's: Gommino shoes.

Loewe: Amazona & Flamenco bags.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->